NY advances drone industry with testing corridor
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Our hobby/profession is advancing well beyond where things are today.  Efforts continue to get serious about improving the capabilities that this technology affords.  It will continue to open up additional commerce opportunities in to the future as they progress the systems to do so.  
I do see some drawbacks.  As the near surface airspace begins to get even more jammed and busy this will likely put even more restrictions on the hobbists and small business professionals using these devices in that zone.  I foresee having to have some kind of beacon transmitter added to all capable drones i.e. P4P and up, which will add cost and potentially effect performace, at least initially.  Freedom of movement will likely get further restricted too.  We are witnessing a brave new world in this area...some of you, if not already, could be profissional drone operators.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/featu ... sting-corridor.html
2017-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Having had some insight to what may come for drone pilots in the future from attending some seminars etc, I can see all new drones being purchased , will require users to sit exam before drone can be activated. Ie a simple online Q&A predominantly regarding safety issues and rules for country being used in. I think that this first registered drone will be limited in its capacity ie altitude distance which at a later date if user takes a further exam can be unlocked to fly higher and further.

With pros ie part 107 these guys will be able to activate and unblock their aircraft with proof of qualifications.
While I think something like this is likely a long way away I think the powers that be will always be planning for a time when and if there is over expansion of drones in our sky’s .
2017-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I wish DJI would have their own online drone pilot quiz.

Pass the test or stay locked down. ;-)

No need for all the bad press.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-23 11:48
I wish DJI would have their own online drone pilot quiz.

Pass the test or stay locked down. ;-)

I do think that dji and other drone manufacturers will issue some kind of information leaflets with all new drones sold requiring user to go to official online test centers to complete application to activate their drone we may see this sooner rather than later.

It may also have the effect of getting new users to read their manuals.
2017-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-23 13:04
I do think that dji and other drone manufacturers will issue some kind of information leaflets with all new drones sold requiring user to go to official online test centers to complete application to activate their drone we may see this sooner rather than later.

The thought that some here, never RTFM, is disturbing.

Hopefully they will come to their senses, before a catastrophe occurs.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-23 13:04

As you know I'm no fan of government or big brother conducting anymore control or oversight than they already do.
However, in this case I agree...I don't see anything wrong with being educated and then permitted to operate in the airspace once you are.  I will qualify it this way though, I think there still needs to remain a distinction between hobbyists and professionals.  Yes, both should be educated/informed but there are significant differences none the less.  
I'll address the manual issue here in a sec with RHP, but the manuals as written now don't come anywhere close enough to meeting the criteria for being properly informed.
2017-10-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-23 13:27
The thought that some here, never RTFM, is disturbing.

Hopefully they will come to their senses, before a catastrophe occurs.

YES I emphatically agree, everyone needs to read their manual...
However, before we go expecting to hang our hat on anything related to informing operators on flying and using airspace is severely lacking, and I think that is putting it lightly.
While I can't speak specifically about every manual out there, I'm willing to make the sweeping comment that every one of them needs updating, corrected, many areas need further expanding information, and they need key info added to them.  That's before we even begin to think that they will be worth informing anyone about flight and airspace ops, period.
2017-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules