909 4 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hello everyone!
As expected, the Phantom 3 launch has sparked a few frustrations in the Inspire 1 community. Some may have felt robbed for the high price tag of the I1 when compared to the P3. But don't be fooled, as the ones getting robbed will actually be the P3 owners. That platform has CURRENTLY only ONE advantage over the I1 platform: the SDK availability for its flight controller.
As many already said it on these forums, I1 is not even close to what it can be!
From the launch of the P3 we should only learn what we have probably guessed already: I1 is hugely overpriced! But that only means that P3 is for those who can't afford the I1.
Another thing to mention here is that I1 had a few falsely advertised features and I bet P3 has some too. For example the "Burst" and "Time-lapse" capturing modes are software based and not really supported by the camera's firmware. "Follow me", "Ground Station" and "Point of Interest" flying modes are presented as SDK features which makes me believe that are not available unless you write your own Pilot application. Basically this is how I see it: when an SDK will be available for the I1, the P3 will be an entirely lower model, thus purchased only by those that cannot afford the I1 or its maintenance cost. But a time will come when the I1 price will drop or DJI special offers will make it more affordable.
Below are just a few reasons why I1 is better than P3:
- adding filters to the camera (not only the DJI supplied ones)
- quick gimbal removal offers safer transportation (ex: hiking) and future cameras swap (even 3rd party cameras like stereoscopic ones, LWIR, and so on)
- soon to be released hand-held camera mount will allow filming almost anywhere (ex: tight caves / tunnels) and with a 3rd party waterproof casing we may even film underwater
- lowest mass center point gives it the highest stability; imagine a P3 crash mid-air with the I1...
- its weight and dimensions give a good balance between portability, stability in wind guts and smooth top speed (both horizontal and vertical)
- raised landing gear minimizes the chance of a ruined shot by wind guts tilting the legs or propellers in the camera's FOV
- choice of 2 types of battery packs; TB47 has no travel limit restrictions while TB48 has higher capacity; it is very likely that the I1 fitted with TB48 will fly longer than a P3 when the wind is above 10 m/s
- flexibility with dual operators mode with ANY 2 RCs (team with any single remote package owner for a dual operator flight)
If the above are worth the difference in cash its upto everyone to decide for themselves, but my personal opinion is that P3 has no long term future while I1 CAN and MAY have.
Best regards,
Bogdan

2015-4-8
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Really? ........ what the heck DJI !!!
This is the first I have heard of this Bogdan
You have a keen sense for "breaking news", like a Jedi you are -
(we should start calling you Jedi Bogdan) -

Bob Marley
2015-4-8
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-9 13:52
Really? ........ what the heck!
This is the first I have heard of this.
Bogdan, you have a keen sen ...

Hey Bob!
How you've been?
Truthfully I did not understand your reply... please detail if you have the time.
I was only sharing my opinion about this developments based on what I have learned so far from being a DJI customer. I have purchased a P2, P2V+ and an I1 so far and I think I am entitled to an opinion about their products.
Of course I could be totally wrong, especially from someone else's point of view or requirement. Maybe DJI has designed the P3 based on some solid marketing reports. You see, I was only looking at it from the technical and design perspective, not the commercial one.
Looking forward to seeing other opinions.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-8
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Sorry for the confusion - I was just joking because there are 15 IDENTICLE threads started today about this SAME subject.
Clearly you must think you are the only one on the road this time of night and didn't bother to look at the topics previously posted before starting yet another of the same, (some with the same exact title as your's).

I myself am going to start a NEW thread titled "Buyer's Remorse", so all you cool cats can have ONE place to rant together about this I1 vs P3 stuff until your faces are blue, (like a convention of sorts).
It will be a fun thread for the rest of us to look in on, and a lot easier to follow (than 15 separate threads) -

Bob
2015-4-8
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-9 14:21
Sorry for the confusion - I was just joking because there are 15 IDENTICLE threads started today abo ...

BOB..... the force is strong in you! Bogdan is not the jedi we are looking for so let him pass..........I do look forward to seeing a buyers remorse thread though, should be plenty of participants  post P3.
2015-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules