Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Repeat launching & landing
530 8 2017-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
netfolks2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19544 ft
United States

Will the Mavic sit idle up to 3 hours but powered on, at a distance, but within sight and controller range, and make several short trips. Could the controller be turned off to vonserve its battery? Would the Mavic sync with it again when turned on?
This would be useful when hunting wild hogs, to go up now and then for a wider view of what may be approaching.
2017-10-23
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I doubt whether it would have sufficient battery power to sit for 3 hours with several short flights and really, the whole idea of doing that is not a good one as it would need to constantly run the fan for cooling.
It would be more practical to just power it up and fly when needed.
2017-10-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am not sure if I understand well. So you want the drone to keep powering on for almost 3 hours, fly the drone to another place, and power off the RC to for saving the drone's power, and RC and AC will automatically relink when you power up the drone, right? If I understand you correctly, I would say that this operation is not available. Like Jenee said, it might not have enough power for keeping it for 3 hours. And if you power off the RC when the distance exceeds 20 meters, the drone will initiate RTH automatically if the drone keeps spinning and GPS signal is available. So I agree with 2#, just power it up when you need, and pay attention to the energy it lefts.
2017-10-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-24 01:28
I am not sure if I understand well. So you want the drone to keep powering on for almost 3 hours, fly the drone to another place, and power off the RC to for saving the drone's power, and RC and AC will automatically relink when you power up the drone, right? If I understand you correctly, I would say that this operation is not available. Like Jenee said, it might not have enough power for keeping it for 3 hours. And if you power off the RC when the distance exceeds 20 meters, the drone will initiate RTH automatically. So I agree with 2#, just power it up when you need, and pay attention to the energy it lefts.

And if you power off the RC when the distance exceeds 20 meters, the drone will initiate RTH automatically.

That's only true if he powers off the remote while the Mavic is still in the air. I believe he meant that he intends to land it, power off the remote, and then take off again at some later time, which would work though I agree that it's not likely the battery would last 3 hours with the fan running. I've never really paid much attention to how quickly the battery drains while it's on the ground, but now I'm kind of curious as to how long it would last.
2017-10-24
Use props
Locoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Sounds like he was to use the MAVIC as a "game camera" while hunting wild hogs.
2017-10-24
Use props
DocAraxá
First Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-24 02:21
And if you power off the RC when the distance exceeds 20 meters, the drone will initiate RTH automatically.

That's only true if he powers off the remote while the Mavic is still in the air. I believe he meant that he intends to land it, power off the remote, and then take off again at some later time, which would work though I agree that it's not clear whether the battery would last 3 hours with the fan running. I've never really paid much attention to how quickly the battery drains while it's on the ground, but now I'm kind of curious as to how long it would last.

Dear DroneFlying,

If I could answer your doubt, the battery will last something about one hour. It drains too much because of the fan!
And maintain the drone without flying heats it! It is dangerous if you use it always that way.
2017-10-24
Use props
Yngveny
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246864 ft
Norway

I like the idea, and yes I believe it would be possible. You could position the Mavic on a hill, miles away, to give you a nice view of the surroundings.  How long the Mavic battery would last depends on how much flying you actually do of course. Might be easier to bring a USB powerbank for the controller, that would save you the time it takes for it to power up and connect, and you would have continuous video feed. As for the fan running, that would depend on the ambient temperature.
2017-10-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

As for the fan running, that would depend on the ambient temperature.

Somewhat true, but probably not relevant. Without the fan, the internal heat is dissipated primarily by the the bottom heat shield, which is not very effective without moving air, unless the Mavic is sitting directly on a cold rock.  I  wouldn't expect there would be much  reduction in fan operation, even in cold weather.

Regarding the OPs plan, I have done something similar while filming an event.  I parked the drone on a rooftop for about 30 minutes until the point I wanted to film, got my 2 minutes of video and landed with a little more than 30% battery remaining.  It was a hot day and I can't recall the battery level when I restarted the drone (although I'm sure it was at least 50 % or I wouldn't have attempted the video).

What OP needs is a remote robot to power up his bird.
2017-10-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-24 02:21

That's only true if he powers off the remote while the Mavic is still in the air. I believe he meant that he intends to land it, power off the remote, and then take off again at some later time, which would work though I agree that it's not likely the battery would last 3 hours with the fan running. I've never really paid much attention to how quickly the battery drains while it's on the ground, but now I'm kind of curious as to how long it would last.

Thank you for the correction. If the props stop spinning at that time, failsafe RTH will not be initiated. For the question about how low it will last after powering on the drone, I am sorry for that we don't have this specs at the moment.
2017-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules