1736 10 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gugufede
lvl.1
Flight distance : 467408 ft
Italy

Hi to everyone,
do you know if the RC of the Phantom (the old version V1, with AA batteries NOT with rechargeable battery) has an U-bec for controlling the voltage?
'cause I'd like to put an external lipo 3s battery (11,1 V) or a 2S battery (7,4 volts) instead of the 4xAA alkaline batteries.
And I don't know if I should use an u-bec or I can directly connect the lipo battery to the RC.
Thank you.
2015-4-8
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I think a UBEC is over kill for the controller. A 3 leg 12 volt to 6 volt voltage regulator should work.
2015-4-10
Use props
gugufede
lvl.1
Italy

Thank you for the answer.
Mmmmm ok, so do you think the R/C version1 of the phantom2 has not a voltage regulator/Ubec and I can't put a lipo 3s of 11,1 V directly to the radio control transmitter, but I should use this voltage regulator (different from an u-bec)?
2015-4-10
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well it stands to reason that something designed for 6v will not be very happy if you shove 11.1v up it.
From what I understand the power Is regulated inside the transmitter to 4v operating voltage, and the low battery alarm will sound at 3.9v.

The standard AA batteries last for well over 30 hours continuous use, I am on flight 65 with the ones that came with the phantom when new.

If you really feel the need to replace them with something rechargeable, then find something that's also 6v.
2015-4-10
Use props
gugufede
lvl.1
Italy

thank you john!
Well, I have a 11,1 - 3s LiPo battery that I don't use...so instead of consuming AA batteries I thought I could use this battery and using it I could see the charge-level too....
And I saw there's a 7,4 volts lipo battery for the rc transmitter....so the reason of my questions.

well but you told me that the voltage is regulated on trasmitter!!! so i put my 11,1 volts battery in the rc and if it will be broken you'll give me another one!!!
2015-4-10
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Why stop at 12v why not try it with 110v while standing in the bath ?

As I said, the transmitter regulates the batteries voltage from 6v to 4v, this is to give the electronics a steady supply while the batteries gradually run flat as their voltage reduces.

Edit, warning for the intellectually challenged, do not try this at home. A 6v to 4v regulator is just that, it will not convert a higher voltage...
2015-4-10
Use props
gugufede
lvl.1
Italy

Oks! I understood, I will run the phantom in the bath!!

Ok thank you, very clear. I didn't understand that the "upper limit" of the transmitter is 6 Volts, and the regulation is from 6 to 4 and stop.
So it's "strange" that on the market are sold 7,4 V batteries for the RC transmitter! it's dangerous too...
2015-4-11
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The DJI transmitter runs 4 AA cells at 6v, other transmitters run different voltages with 6 or 8 AA cells.
You need to do your research and make sure to buy a compatible battery pack from the 100's of different ones on the market.
2015-4-11
Use props
gugufede
lvl.1
Italy

I don't know if I can post a link to a shop online, but if you search this in google:
Rechargeable DJI Phantom Remote Control Transmitter Battery
you find a battery that works with 7,4 V in a slot of 4 AA and the radio control is the classic phantom 2 radio control. what do you think about it?
It seems they put 7,4 V in a max 6 V radio control....so I say if you are in right this is dangerous, isn't it?
2015-4-11
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yeah I see the links you are talking about.
This one is for a 3.7v battery with a 5v step up board - HERE
This one is for the 7.4v pack - HERE
I guess 7.4v is close enough to 6v for the regulator to handle, but not something I would try out as I said at the start, the standard AA batteries last for a long, long time.
2015-4-11
Use props
gugufede
lvl.1
Italy

yes, thank you for your support!
2015-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules