1576 11 2017-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IntrepidDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3620226 ft
Australia

Hi folks,

I have the x5s camera with the stock Dji 15mm lens as well as a lumix 14-42mm which I have used very little due to poor video results (jello)  I am convinced that the official DJi balance rings BR17 and the BR6 are not right.
[size=14.6667px]I am very curious to see what others have experienced here.. I notice a beeping/alarm noise coming from the gimbal at either 14mm or 40-42mm. This does not sound normal to me - infact it sounds like a warning for the gimbal overload? When I remove the balance rings there is no beeping at all and less noise from the gimbal/lens. It seems to me like the standard rings are too heavy? If I have the large balance ring on minus the smaller 6g one, the beeping almost stops. There is still a slight noise when moving focal lengths but it only sounds once rather than a constant beep. Without either of the rings it is silent. If the gimbal is on and I remove the balance rings the beeping sound stops immediately. Something is not quite right here. I'm thinking this is also more than likely the reason I have been getting such poor results from it.[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]Here's a short video below.

[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]Cheers,
[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]Dave.

2017-10-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Did you mount the balance rings in a right way? Please look at the following video and it is normal that the gimbal has the sound of electric current.
2017-10-25
Use props
IntrepidDrone
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-25 23:02
Did you mount the balance rings in a right way? Please look at the following video and it is normal that the gimbal has the sound of electric current.

Thank you for responding Elektra.

Hi, Yes of course the balance rings are mounted correctly.  I understand the sound of electrical current but the recurring beeping/pulsing sound on 42mm? Are you very sure about this?  If this is normal can you explain why it stops as soon as you remove those balance rings? I just want to make sure I am not causing undue stress on the gimbal. Aside from that, the results using this lens are terrible for video anyway.
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2017-10-26 06:35
Thank you for responding Elektra.

Hi, Yes of course the balance rings are mounted correctly.  I understand the sound of electrical current but the recurring beeping/pulsing sound on 42mm? Are you very sure about this?  If this is normal can you explain why it stops as soon as you remove those balance rings? I just want to make sure I am not causing undue stress on the gimbal. Aside from that, the results using this lens are terrible for video anyway.

For you concern, please don't feel worry. I had forwarded to our engineers for check and they confirmed your drone had nothing wrong. Please keep us updated, if you still have problems.
2017-10-26
Use props
IntrepidDrone
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-26 23:27
For you concern, please don't feel worry. I had forwarded to our engineers for check and they confirmed your drone had nothing wrong. Please keep us updated, if you still have problems.

Thank you.
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

You are welcome. Hope you have fun with our products.
2017-10-31
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-25 23:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alPYMZkx7tg.

I was interested in your response to this problem because I also have very poor video results using this lens. I've tried the recommended balancing ring, as well as other combinations of balance rings, I get various degrees of "jello."  I've never gotten any sort of beeping sound, however.

At one point, using other than recommend balancing ring combinations, I thought i might have the problem solved, but I have never achieved a smooth video recording with this lens. My I2 just doesn't like it and I found that lens purchase to be a complete waste of money.

The stock lens on my X5S works great.
2017-11-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

DS924 Posted at 2017-11-3 06:23
I was interested in your response to this problem because I also have very poor video results using this lens. I've tried the recommended balancing ring, as well as other combinations of balance rings, I get various degrees of "jello."  I've never gotten any sort of beeping sound, however.

At one point, using other than recommend balancing ring combinations, I thought i might have the problem solved, but I have never achieved a smooth video recording with this lens. My I2 just doesn't like it and I found that lens purchase to be a complete waste of money.

Can you tell me the model of your lens? Please provide the "Jello"video for further check. I would not recommend you fly in windy weather. Also, please check if the Gimbal Rubber Dampers become hardened.
2017-11-6
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-6 02:01
Can you tell me the model of your lens? Please provide the "Jello"video for further check. I would not recommend you fly in windy weather. Also, please check if the Gimbal Rubber Dampers become hardened.

Understand, first of all, that I do not get any jello effect when flying with the standard lens or with the 45mm lens - just with the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm lens. The other lenses are solid as a rock and I enjoy them very much.
I'm certain that none of the jello videos are the result of windy weather.  I took care to fly in calm weather when I tested the lens.

I'm not sure what value the videos will have for the purpose of asseessment unless you think they will give some insight into the problem with that partuclar lens.

I'm still loving this aircraft.
2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

DS924 Posted at 2017-11-10 10:25
Understand, first of all, that I do not get any jello effect when flying with the standard lens or with the 45mm lens - just with the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm lens. The other lenses are solid as a rock and I enjoy them very much.
I'm certain that none of the jello videos are the result of windy weather.  I took care to fly in calm weather when I tested the lens.

I would like to help you solve the problem. Please provide the video and I would help you forward it to our engineers for further check. Thanks for your support.
2017-11-10
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the problems you are describing are due to something other than the balancing of the camera & lens.
Its my view that the key issue here is that the Lumix 14-42 lens has a built-in Image Stabiliser, which is effectively trying to do the same job as the giro-stabilised gimal and the two systems are interacting in a way that is sometimes (often) undesirable. The Lumix zoom lens is generally okay for stills, but not good for video..

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Allan
2017-12-10
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

allanart Posted at 2017-12-10 02:24
I think the problems you are describing are due to something other than the balancing of the camera & lens.
Its my view that the key issue here is that the Lumix 14-42 lens has a built-in Image Stabiliser, which is effectively trying to do the same job as the giro-stabilised gimal and the two systems are interacting in a way that is sometimes (often) undesirable. The Lumix zoom lens is generally okay for stills, but not good for video..

That was a keen observation. Thank you.  I guess I'll sell the lens. I'm sure it will be useful for other applications, but just not useful for mine.
2017-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules