Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Z3 camera lag & interference
1717 24 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4405981 ft
United Kingdom

I have been struggling with intermitent camera lag and picture break up on the tablet for the past few months but, whilst filming in san Marino a few days ago, the lag was very poor that I had to land and give up. The footage from 2 of the 3 days of filming has been saved to the memory card but there is nothing from the last day on the card which is the day that we had the most problems with lag etc. Upon reviewing the video link footage upon my tablet, I have footage from a Phantom that was also flying in the area. Could this be the reason for the lag? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks.
LAWRENCE

2017-10-25
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Almost always a video lag is from the Go app device not having a gust enough processor .

I understand the go app device you are using may have worked great in the past but the more complicated encryption between the RC and AC has put a huge load on the processor.

If you are up to cate on the RC and AC and have the current go app my money would be on the /Go app device .  See if you can borrow an I pad with and A9 or A10 processor.  

I use an I pad pro, standard size ,  with GPS and Cell with 128 g and have NO issues with video .  

good luck

donnie

also here is a link with other ideas as well, read the whole page it will give some other suggestions as well
Video Transmission issues with X3 or X5 ? Try These Suggestions !
2017-10-25
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Donnie * Posted at 2017-10-25 04:22
Almost always a video lag is from the Go app device not having a gust enough processor .

I understand the go app device you are using may have worked great in the past but the more complicated encryption between the RC and AC has put a huge load on the processor.

Thanks Donnie, I shall look into that.
2017-10-25
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Donnie * Posted at 2017-10-25 04:22

I'm currently using a first edition iPad air which seems to have an A7 processor....
2017-10-25
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I bought a new 10.5" iPad Pro A10X along with a SIM/data plan as my Air 2 was beginning to do the green and black bar thing as GO 4 kept growing.

However, it is not perfect either and will also break up a bit although not as bad as the Air 2.  GO must be really taxing the OS nowadays.  I did notice too that Kitty Hawk launched itself behind GO 4 launching which seemed odd being it was a new system load.  I don't use it (Never have and not signed in yet with them either.) but it might be a background app matter I need to address.
2017-10-25
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-10-25 09:30
I bought a new 10.5" iPad Pro A10X along with a SIM/data plan as my Air 2 was beginning to do the green and black bar thing as GO 4 kept growing.

However, it is not perfect either and will also break up a bit although not as bad as the Air 2.  GO must be really taxing the OS nowadays.  I did notice too that Kitty Hawk launched itself behind GO 4 launching which seemed odd being it was a new system load.  I don't use it (Never have and not signed in yet with them either.) but it might be a background app matter I need to address.

Be sure to check the settings on the HD and make sure they are set to the max range .  I find No difference in picture quality when set to min bit rate ( for max distance )  BUT if I set it to the max bit rate ( best resolution ) I loose range signaificantly.  Be sure to read my tips page as well for other ideas that improve picture quality .  IE:  for example be sure to "enable " the hardware decode on the go app  this takes the proicessing  load off the Go app device .
Are you flying an Inspire or the Phanotm4 pro .  (some of these suggestions may not apply to the P4, I am not sure as I dont own one )  

Keep in mind No need to activate the cell on the I pad , ( unless you want to )  It will give you the GPS in that combination that comes with the  I pad with GPS AND  cell . This way you can use all the other features that require GPS, for example the "follow ME" function .  I was told by a DJI technical guru  that the I pad pro has the fastest processor when it has the A9 pr A10 processor with the Cell /GPS function .  I dont know exactly why but like I say my system works flawlessly .
Take your system to another area away from other 2.4 siganls and see if you get perfect video .  Keep in mind when the aircraft is at significant height and distance awasy from the RC transmitter that when the AC turns sideways in relateion to the RC transmitter  you will have some slight dropout till the AC is directly facing or direclty away from the RC tranmitter, this is because the antenna are in the legs of the AC.  Be sure to keep the tranmitter high up and dont start dropping it down so the antennas are facing the ground , this is a sure way to loose siganl strength .  Be SUFRE TO READ MY TIPS PAGE  I go ovber all this and watch the Vido that is Post Number 2 on my tips page .  
*** Make sure NO other apps are running on the I pad when you have the go app open .  

donnie

2017-10-25
Use props
HKIC-DRONE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 245768 ft
Denmark

I am having the same problem with my new Z3, up to 10 sec lag, and pixelated FPV view. Never had this issue with the X3, and it still works just fine.
I am using a 10,5 " Ipad pro, and all firmware versions are up to date, as far as I can tell.
In other forums i have found posts complaining about this particular issue as far back as AUG 2016, one has to wonder, why this isn't being delt with.
2017-10-26
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Lag from the Z3 has always been an issue and we have never seen it addressed.
It's a real pity as the Z3 is a great mid-step between the X3 and X5, and is very flexible for inspection work.

The type of tablet is immaterial, people have had lag using pretty much every type of iPad.
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Lawrence Clift Posted at 2017-10-25 07:52
I'm currently using a first edition iPad air which seems to have an A7 processor....

It also could be the SD card issue. What SD card do you use? Have you changed another one to have a try since there was no footage saved in SD card?
2017-10-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

HKIC-DRONE Posted at 2017-10-26 01:13
I am having the same problem with my new Z3, up to 10 sec lag, and pixelated FPV view. Never had this issue with the X3, and it still works just fine.
I am using a 10,5 " Ipad pro, and all firmware versions are up to date, as far as I can tell.
In other forums i have found posts complaining about this particular issue as far back as AUG 2016, one has to wonder, why this isn't being delt with.

Here are some suggestions for you, please ensure:
1. Do not expose mobile device under the sun since heat will greatly affect the mobile device.
2. Exit all the unessential apps those may keep running in background.
3. Please use the authentic data cables.
4. Lower the video downlink effect can relieve the mobile device's load.
5. Adjust the Low Battery Volume Warning to 10% if necessary, ensure you will keep an eye on the battery volume during flights.
2017-10-27
Use props
P3S_USAF_BLUE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65682 ft
United States

I have a Z3 and its what I was using before I got my tablet. First, the android firmware that is currently at 5.1.1 on the Z3 is horrid for the app. I don't know about yours, but I couldn't access anything but the camera and flight info. I never had access to the forum or anything else while using my phone. One of your issues is the phone cool down and it overheating. I would sometimes be able to correct the lag or video failure by going into apps and manually stopping a lot of apps. In developer options you need to have it set to save no background processes. You also need to fly in airplane mode as for some reason the 4g interferes with the connection using wifi.

I got sick of dealing with it (even though it has one of the best displays) so I bought a tablet with 6.0 marshmallow. The tablet I'm using has the same speed processor as my phone 2.5ghz and I don't have an issue, so I don't believe its a processor issue. I think its a firmware and bloat issue. There are too many apps running for the DJI Go app to operate properly. If I were you, I'd buy a stand alone device strictly to use for flying.
2017-10-31
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-27 01:08
It also could be the SD card issue. What SD card do you use? Have you changed another one to have a try since there was no footage saved in SD card?

Hi Mindy,
Sorry for the late reply, we've been away on holiday for a week. I use a class 10, 64GB Sandisk card. Back, back in August, I experienced a lot of lag whilst flying in Italy (again!) and, when I returned home, I carried out some practice flights without the memory card and didn't see any lag. I will try a flight tomorrow with a different memory card. Thanks.
2017-11-5
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-27 01:08

Hi Mindy,
I changed memory card to a Sandisk Ultra class 10 32GB and had two suucessful flights = no lag . The app did stop once but that was soon resolved. Three quarters of the way through the third and final test flight, the video feed started to break up and I had a 2 second lag. I promptly landed, shut down, then re-started and had a two minute flight without any lag. I recorded all of the flights and the footage has been saved onto the card. I have flown one test flight with the original X3 camera with no problems whatsoever. Another thing that I have noticed between both cameras is that the picture with the X3 is instantaneous when booting the Inspire up but, with the Z3, I have to wait for a picture, sometimes up to 1 minute. I feel that the camera will be returned to the supplier
2017-11-6
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-10-26 05:05
Lag from the Z3 has always been an issue and we have never seen it addressed.
It's a real pity as the Z3 is a great mid-step between the X3 and X5, and is very flexible for inspection work.

You mean the lag with the Z3 is common ?   I am certain that if  a member has lag and are using an older go app device ( with the x3 or x5 setup ) that a newer mode I pad  with a A9 or A10 processor will solve  it.  I do NOT own  the Z3 and was not aware that its was a common problem  with lag , thanks for bringing it to my attention . I guess I ad my focus on the type of I pad he had and not looking closely to the camera he was using . Learned something today ....thanks

donnie
2017-11-6
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Donnie * Posted at 2017-11-6 05:15
You mean the lag with the Z3 is common ?   I am certain that if  a member has lag and are using an older go app device ( with the x3 or x5 setup ) that a newer mode I pad  with a A9 or A10 processor will solve  it.  I do NOT won the Z3 and was not aware that its was a common problem  with lag , thanks for bringing it to my attention . I guess I ad my focus on the type of I pad he had and not looking closely to the camera he was using . Learned something today ....thanks

donnie

Thanks Donnie. I'm now trying to find someone who has a newer device than mine.....
2017-11-6
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

Lawrence Clift Posted at 2017-11-6 05:38
Thanks Donnie. I'm now trying to find someone who has a newer device than mine.....

It may improve it but I am not certain it will eliminate issues with a Z3, Now on a X3 or X5 I am sure it will IF ALL other options have been checked out .

Good Luck

donnie
2017-11-6
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Well, I've just bought an iPad Air 2 with the A8 processor and completed 2 flights. Half way through the first flight the picture started to break up and I had a little lag (around 1 second) then I remembered that I hadn't set the iPad to think that it was in the USA as I'm using channel 20 (I'm in the UK and you're unable to change channel's unless the device is set to the US!) plus, in my haste, I'd forgotten to put the controllers aerials into the correct position. School boy error! from there on plus a second flight with a new battery, everything seems to be ok. I'll try and complete some more tests tomorrow so taht I can be 100% confident......
2017-11-6
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

Lawrence Clift Posted at 2017-11-6 09:11
Well, I've just bought an iPad Air 2 with the A8 processor and completed 2 flights. Half way through the first flight the picture started to break up and I had a little lag (around 1 second) then I remembered that I hadn't set the iPad to think that it was in the USA as I'm using channel 20 (I'm in the UK and you're unable to change channel's unless the device is set to the US!) plus, in my haste, I'd forgotten to put the controllers aerials into the correct position. School boy error! from there on plus a second flight with a new battery, everything seems to be ok. I'll try and complete some more tests tomorrow so taht I can be 100% confident......

Great, let me/Is know how it goes. read my tips page for some other ideas . It  it for any camera system really .
Video Transmission issues with X3 or X5 ? Try These Suggestions !

donnie

2017-11-6
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Donnie * Posted at 2017-11-6 05:15
You mean the lag with the Z3 is common ?   I am certain that if  a member has lag and are using an older go app device ( with the x3 or x5 setup ) that a newer mode I pad  with a A9 or A10 processor will solve  it.  I do NOT own  the Z3 and was not aware that its was a common problem  with lag , thanks for bringing it to my attention . I guess I ad my focus on the type of I pad he had and not looking closely to the camera he was using . Learned something today ....thanks

donnie

Yes Donnie, the Z3 has had lag and latency issues from day 1.
It is not related to the device you're using.

Some lucky people haven't had issues, but the majority have and many have just given up with it.
No fix from DJI yet, none expected.
2017-11-6
Use props
HKIC-DRONE
lvl.2
Denmark

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-11-6 19:49
Yes Donnie, the Z3 has had lag and latency issues from day 1.
It is not related to the device you're using.

I recently borrowed a different Z3, the problem stays the same.
I am convinced that the problem is in the aircraft!
2017-11-13
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The camera is now with DJI Europe for evaluation/repair as we had more lag issues whilst on an important job with a car manufacturer at Silverstone! The only good thing to come out of this so far is a new iPad
2017-11-16
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

Delete ALL DJI software from your device, not just the APP. Go into folders and delete all dji software. Shut down all equipment. Restart and download DJI GO again.
This way it will be a fresh download without old files. This has helped after firmware updates created video and range issues for me.
Try it out, if that doesn't fix the issues it may indeed be the CPU processor speed vs. the software update demands on the unit.
i.e; CPU overload / CPU overheating.
2017-11-24
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
United Kingdom

MedicFL1 Posted at 2017-11-24 13:12
Delete ALL DJI software from your device, not just the APP. Go into folders and delete all dji software. Shut down all equipment. Restart and download DJI GO again.
This way it will be a fresh download without old files. This has helped after firmware updates created video and range issues for me.
Try it out, if that doesn't fix the issues it may indeed be the CPU processor speed vs. the software update demands on the unit.

Thanks, I will try that as well
2017-11-30
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

MedicFL1Great advice!  But Lawrence Clift, make sure that you upload any flight records BEFORE you Delete anything!!!  Safety First! Ken.
2017-12-1
Use props
HKIC-DRONE
lvl.2
Denmark

Is this thread dead. None of the suggestions here have solved my lag problem. Is anyone at DJI working on this, is DJI admitting that there is a problem,
or are they still just trying to convince users that their product isn't working because we are using it wrong.
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules