P3P controller firmware update
2335 9 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sandmantoo
New
South Africa

Hello
I am new to this forum and hope this is the correct board to post on.  I purchased a P3P late 2015 and for one reason or another did not get to fly it until Aug 2017.  I needed to upgrade the firmware as the latest Go software needed it.  I followed all the instructions (I am technically oriented having been in IT for 30 years).  The aircraft updated successfully but the controller would not talk to the USB stick.  I then researched and found out that there were previous updates that first need to be applied as the latest revision only loads through the app not through the USB port.  The dilemma is the app wont speak to the controller as the firmaware is too old and DJI support could not find and old revision to send me.  So after the controller was sitting in the shop where I returned it for the upgrade to be done for 2 months as they need the craft too (which was in another part of the country), I have finally been told that because of a firmware upgrade interruption, I now need to have the HDMI board replaced as it is damaged.  Can this be possible?  
2017-10-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Since your RC had not been used for a long time before you tried to fly it. It is possible that the hardware of your RC goes wrong. I would recommend you repair your RC. If you have more question, please ask for help.
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Did you mount an HDMI module on your RC? If the RC wouldn't communicate to the app, it might be the app's compatibility, cable's issue or USB port's issue, or the hardware problem of the RC. Coz we don't have the RC at hand, I can not certainly give the answer of your case.
2017-10-26
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I see you are not getting much help from DJI here. If your phantom has firmware older than V1.03, you cannot jump to the latest in one step, but need to get it up a couple versions before you can do that. I think anything past V1.05 or V1.06 can then be upgrade to the current release without any issues, and it is done through the app instead of the sd-card like we use to do it. But, I still use my sd-card for my aircraft even today, but the RC is done with the app.
So, what version are you on or do you know? Here is a link of older firmware versions for your P3P. You may have to start with your version and go up one at a time.
Hope this helps. If all else fails, you will need to send it in, but I know this is what you are trying to avoid. I don't think your RC could have been damaged by trying to upgrade myself. It sounds like you hadn't used it at all until Aug. 2017. I don't understand why the DJI moderator was asking about you mounting a HDMI module??
Good luck to you.
Phantom-Help Website
2017-10-26
Use props
fans9c72b3d9
New
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-10-26 04:08
I see you are not getting much help from DJI here. If your phantom has firmware older than V1.03, you cannot jump to the latest in one step, but need to get it up a couple versions before you can do that. I think anything past V1.05 or V1.06 can then be upgrade to the current release without any issues, and it is done through the app instead of the sd-card like we use to do it. But, I still use my sd-card for my aircraft even today, but the RC is done with the app.
So, what version are you on or do you know? Here is a link of older firmware versions for your P3P. You may have to start with your version and go up one at a time.
Hope this helps. If all else fails, you will need to send it in, but I know this is what you are trying to avoid. I don't think your RC could have been damaged by trying to upgrade myself. It sounds like you hadn't used it at all until Aug. 2017. I don't understand why the DJI moderator was asking about you mounting a HDMI module??

I’ve been having the same issue for a week now. I updated the drone and rc a few weeks ago, but never flew it.
Then I decided to update my iPad one night. The next day I tried to fly, but the app won’t go to the Camera page...it just sits on the main page showing my Phantom 3 Advanced, with the lower button only saying How To Connect. I’ve tried everything I’ve heard so far, but nothing! Any ideas???.?.
I can’t update the controller because I need the app, but my controller won’t connect to the app.....Aaaahhhhhh! Can I use a usb stick to try and update my controller still or does that not work anymore?
2017-10-26
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fans9c72b3d9 Posted at 2017-10-26 18:32
I’ve been having the same issue for a week now. I updated the drone and rc a few weeks ago, but never flew it.
Then I decided to update my iPad one night. The next day I tried to fly, but the app won’t go to the Camera page...it just sits on the main page showing my Phantom 3 Advanced, with the lower button only saying How To Connect. I’ve tried everything I’ve heard so far, but nothing! Any ideas???.?.
I can’t update the controller because I need the app, but my controller won’t connect to the app.....Aaaahhhhhh! Can I use a usb stick to try and update my controller still or does that not work anymore?

You could sure try the USB method to see if it works. There is a manual procedure to force the RC to upgrade. I think you have to hold down the C1 & C2 buttons and push the upper right record button and then turn on the RC. You may have to check on the procedure because I am just going off memory and it may not be 100% accurate. Look on this forum or it is in the manual, I just don't have time to look it up for you right now. But it will put the RC in update mode, and you should get the Blue-light on your RC and it should then read your sd-card and update.
I would try to uninstall your app and re-install it. Your app should connect to the RC without issue. If all else fails, you might try to borrow another device just to see if it connects. Doesn't matter if it is android or apple device. You can remove the app if your borrow a device, but it would verify the connectivity is ok with you cable and port out of the RC. good luck.
2017-10-27
Use props
sandmantoo
New
South Africa

Thank you to all those that replied to my post.  I had the controller repaired at my own cost.  DJI put in a new HDMI output board.  Flew the drone.  No problems.  I still do not see how an interrupted firmware update can damage the board.  Anyhow the new board they fitted has a HDMI socket too, so my connectivity has been enhanced.
2017-11-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What was the cost?
2017-11-9
Use props
sandmantoo
New
South Africa