Phantom 4 Firmware Update
6704 35 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Breezeblock
lvl.3
Flight distance : 38586 ft
United Kingdom

I am fortunate enough not to have experienced any of the continuing problems that others have suffered after the firmware update 3 months ago.  However I recognize the various issues including gimbal tilt / high wind speed warning / video failure / unstable flight.  All of these have briefly appeared on my system and then disappeared.  The only change that I have made is an IMU calibration which fully resolved the unstable flight problem.  How the other issues were resolved is unknown although it has occurred to me that GO4 may have been tweaked to rectify such problems.....?

The last time my drone was flown was 10 days ago when no problems were noted both with flying out to 500m and with the aerial photography.  Today the Firmware Update message was seen when I was already out at my usual flying location.   Nonetheless I did check the drone out both in flying and taking photographs with no issues noted.

Unless strongly advised to the contrary I am prepared to follow the update directions.   However I don`t see any new firmware advice on the forum and I am therefore hesitating before committing to this.  Another factor is that I have undertaken to provide some aerial photographs for a project in 2 days time.  I am not even connecting my tablet (GO4) to wifi until I am confident that I will still have an operable system in 48 hrs.

Any dji or other advice would be very welcome.

2017-10-25
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

You didn't say if you are on an old version, or what version you are updating to and from?

Since you have an impending job in two days, I'd hold off in case you should brick the drone during the update process which has happened for some prior.
2017-10-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Your upcoming aerial photography commitment would seem to indicate caution.  Certainly, delaying your updates for a few days in order to ensure trouble-free performance would seem to be the prudent option.
2017-10-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In the past couple of weeks or so there have been updates to the 'flysafe databases' on the aircraft and the App'.
Check in 'About' at the bottom of the 'general settings' menu in DJI Go 4, with all connected and powered up this will give you the details of the current firmware builds you are using in the aircraft, the RC, and the App'.
If all is working at the moment and you have a job to do in a couple of days it might be wiser to hold off with any firmware updates until that job is completed.
2017-10-25
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-10-25 08:09
In the past couple of weeks or so there have been updates to the 'flysafe databases' on the aircraft and the App'.
Check in 'About' at the bottom of the 'general settings' menu in DJI Go 4, with all connected and powered up this will give you the details of the current firmware builds you are using in the aircraft, the RC, and the App'.
If all is working at the moment and you have a job to do in a couple of days it might be wiser to hold off with any firmware updates until that job is completed.

Thank you (and others) for advice on holding off on the firmware update until after tomorrow.  I will also check to see what firmware update I am currently on.  
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I would recommend you update the firmware and you can ask for help if you encounter any problem.
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We always recommend that users upgrade the latest firmware because it's the optimization to the previous one, but that depends on you. If your drone's now performing fine and you don't want to upgrade it, that's alright.
For the high wind warning, the wind speed is too high will pop up in DJI GO 4  when wind speed is higher than about 6 m/s, please fly with caution. And we don't suggest flying the drone when wind speed exceeds 10m/s. Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air. If the gimbal tilts, try calibrating the gimbal.
For the video failure, please provide us with more details. Or you can try to format the SD card.
Hope steps above helps.
2017-10-26
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-26 02:51
We always recommend that users upgrade the latest firmware because it's the optimization to the previous one, but that depends on you. If your drone's now performing fine and you don't want to upgrade it, that's alright.
For the high wind warning, the wind speed is too high will pop up in DJI GO 4  when wind speed is higher than about 6 m/s, please fly with caution. And we don't suggest flying the drone when wind speed exceeds 10m/s. Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air. If the gimbal tilts, try calibrating the gimbal.
For the video failure, please provide us with more details. Or you can try to format the SD card.

Thank you I will revert to this query after tomorrow
2017-10-26
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-26 02:51

Thank you for your reply (and to others who have given advice).   Just to clarify the issues which I referred to - these were all only briefly seen and then did not reappear.  The only action I have taken since the firmware update 3 months ago is an IMU calibration which immediately rectified the unstable flight problem.  The wind speed warning has for many weeks performed as it should.  Up until a week ago no flying or photographing problems - just recent Firmware Update notice.

So my query is what has happened in the last 10 days or so which requires another? firmware update.   If it were not for the many worrying posts on this subject the recent firmware update would have been immediately carried out.  For those who noted there was an imminent job (carried out yesterday no problems happy drone operator happy client)) I am just trying to understand how a `new` firmdate update can  appear without wider forum notification?  

Or am I for some reason just much behind everyone else.....The system status shows App 4.1.0  Version 02.00.01.06  RC  1.9.2   Aircraft / APP Database 00.00.01.04.

The GO4 App flying status is permanently showing RC Update Required (see tutorial) Download Firmware.  I am now content to do this but will await any further forum / dji comment before proceeding.
2017-10-28
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Breezeblock Posted at 2017-10-28 01:33
Thank you for your reply (and to others who have given advice).   Just to clarify the issues which I referred to - these were all only briefly seen and then did not reappear.  The only action I have taken since the firmware update 3 months ago is an IMU calibration which immediately rectified the unstable flight problem.  The wind speed warning has for many weeks performed as it should.  Up until a week ago no flying or photographing problems - just recent Firmware Update notice.

So my query is what has happened in the last 10 days or so which requires another? firmware update.   If it were not for the many worrying posts on this subject the recent firmware update would have been immediately carried out.  For those who noted there was an imminent job (carried out yesterday no problems happy drone operator happy client)) I am just trying to understand how a `new` firmdate update can  appear without wider forum notification?  

For anyone still remotely interested in the above saga, I braced myself this morning to carry out the advised firmware update.  Lo and behold the firmware update no longer shows....

Confused (if somewhat relieved)!
2017-11-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Breezeblock Posted at 2017-11-2 01:52
For anyone still remotely interested in the above saga, I braced myself this morning to carry out the advised firmware update.  Lo and behold the firmware update no longer shows....

Confused (if somewhat relieved)!

It could well have been an RC update  from the v1.9.2 you listed in post above, to the newest V1.9.3.

The notification for this upgrade was delivered via the ‘Aircraft Status’ drop down menu in DJI Go 4.

Or the database you mention at V00.00.01.04 also needs updating at some point. DJI Go 4 should prompt you on that one.
2017-11-2
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-11-2 02:09
It could well have been an RC update  from the v1.9.2 you listed in post above, to the newest V1.9.3.

The notification for this upgrade was delivered via the ‘Aircraft Status’ drop down menu in DJI Go 4.

Thank you for your advice.  A quick update.  Went out today in excellent drone flying / photo weather.  The Firmware Update message returned but I spent an enjoyable 20 mins or so flying along the UK Torbay coastline.

I have now undertaken the firmware upgrade and fingers crossed this appears to have gone as it should (although on conclusion and restart the RC beeped showing red no battery....) .   Fortunately after closing down the RC it was fully recharged after an hour without further problems.  

I won`t  feel fully reassured until the next flying session (to check out drone functions)  but GO4 / RC / drone seem to be satisfactory  at present (indoors)  and I am now on 1/9/3.  Finally GO4 advised that there was an update available which presumably relates to the database.  I am not entirely sure which database is involved and I will defer carrying that out until I am content with the RC update
2017-11-2
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Breezeblock Posted at 2017-11-2 11:27
Thank you for your advice.  A quick update.  Went out today in excellent drone flying / photo weather.  The Firmware Update message returned but I spent an enjoyable 20 mins or so flying along the UK Torbay coastline.

I have now undertaken the firmware upgrade and fingers crossed this appears to have gone as it should (although on conclusion and restart the RC beeped showing red no battery....) .   Fortunately after closing down the RC it was fully recharged after an hour without further problems.  

Update completed.  Tested most functions no problems.  Am I one of the lucky ones or is it just an unfortunate minority that have had problems?   I do think dji should bring us all up to date with what they now know and what they are doing to rectify the issues that have been reported
2017-11-4
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

So....what firmware has your drone now?
2017-11-5
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Cinefilms Posted at 2017-11-5 15:05
So....what firmware has your drone now?

App 4.1.0   Version 02.00.01.06  RC  1.9.3  Aircraft / APP Database  00 00.01.04
2017-11-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Breezeblock Posted at 2017-11-6 03:09
App 4.1.0   Version 02.00.01.06  RC  1.9.3  Aircraft / APP Database  00 00.01.04

Interesting to see, Breezeblock. That latest prod firmware on both the craft and RC, but quite an old (now) version of DJI GO. It's now up to  4.1.16
2017-11-6
Use props
Breezeblock
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-11-6 13:32
Interesting to see, Breezeblock. That latest prod firmware on both the craft and RC, but quite an old (now) version of DJI GO. It's now up to  4.1.16

Thank you for your comment.    Does the GO4 app update itself or can I control that?   If yes then should I do it?

Carried out another job yesterday in good flying conditions - no problems of any kind. In view of the many adverse reports about upgrading problems  I am reluctant to do anything which might prejudice the good functionality  I am fortunate enough to have..........
2017-11-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Breezeblock Posted at 2017-11-9 13:09
Thank you for your comment.    Does the GO4 app update itself or can I control that?   If yes then should I do it?

Carried out another job yesterday in good flying conditions - no problems of any kind. In view of the many adverse reports about upgrading problems  I am reluctant to do anything which might prejudice the good functionality  I am fortunate enough to have..........

You choose to update the app - your iPhone will not force you to do that. Oh, and DJI have just released GO 4 v4.1.17. Whether you should do that is up to you, as it may either be adding functionality or fixing bugs - but DJI also introduce new bugs along the way. It's definitely a wild ride for us.

But I note your "Fly safe" database is ...1.04, whereas it's now up to ...1.05. My bet is that that's what the message to update relates to. If I'm correct, when the message comes up next, plug your iPhone directly into the craft using the small adapter cable to let you attach it to the craft's micro USB port while it's switched on, and let it go. It'll keep flying without it though.
2017-11-9
Use props
fans64a0c585
lvl.2
United States

Below are listed the latest versions I have downloaded and installed. But I have a perpetual warning- “Radio Channel Quality” it said, “Strong interference detected. Be careful when flying long distances”.  I also lose video signal as well as a few other issues. Help!
App-Version 4.1.18
Aircraft Version 02.00.0106
Remote Controller Version 1.9.3
Flight Database Version 01.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database Version 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database version 01.00.01.07
2017-11-28
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

fans64a0c585 Posted at 2017-11-28 09:42
Below are listed the latest versions I have downloaded and installed. But I have a perpetual warning- “Radio Channel Quality” it said, “Strong interference detected. Be careful when flying long distances”.  I also lose video signal as well as a few other issues. Help!
App-Version 4.1.18

What is the distance when you start loosing the signal? By the way your Flight Database is not up to date
2017-11-28
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

One lucky guy. Quit messing with it, before your bricked.
2017-11-28
Use props
fans5e4353fd
New
Flight distance : 34268 ft

Sri Lanka

how i get phantom 4 firmware update beta version.give me a details??
2017-11-28
Use props
fans64a0c585
lvl.2
United States

Vendex Posted at 2017-11-28 11:36
What is the distance when you start loosing the signal? By the way your Flight Database is not up to date

If I hold the RC within 2 feet of the craft then I lose all signal. other than that the distances vary while flying. Yesterday I went vertical and at 300 feet I lost the signal. Today I was about 150 feet away when I got freeze frames and drop outs. Also yesterday I went bank and updated my craft. The problem persisted. I then uploaded the factory default settings and still had the problem. I have also uninstalled/reinstalled DJI Go 4 and switched out my Ipad Pro with my cell phone. The problem continues. I will gladly ship my P4 to a repair center and have a technician do a thorough check up. I just want the problem fixed and fixed right. I assume that DJI would be the best option for this?
God Bless!
Bill
2017-11-29
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Bulgaria

fans64a0c585 Posted at 2017-11-29 14:33
If I hold the RC within 2 feet of the craft then I lose all signal. other than that the distances vary while flying. Yesterday I went vertical and at 300 feet I lost the signal. Today I was about 150 feet away when I got freeze frames and drop outs. Also yesterday I went bank and updated my craft. The problem persisted. I then uploaded the factory default settings and still had the problem. I have also uninstalled/reinstalled DJI Go 4 and switched out my Ipad Pro with my cell phone. The problem continues. I will gladly ship my P4 to a repair center and have a technician do a thorough check up. I just want the problem fixed and fixed right. I assume that DJI would be the best option for this?
God Bless!
Bill

Bill, is your wifi working during your flights?
2017-11-29
Use props
Bill Hitchcock
lvl.2
United States

Vendex Posted at 2017-11-29 14:54
Bill, is your wifi working during your flights?

I tried it both on and off to no avail.
2017-11-29
Use props
Bill Hitchcock
lvl.2
United States

By the way-I was "fans64a0c585" and just changed the avatar to my name. If you don't mind, I have complied all of what has been going on and posted it below. It seems like a new problem every day now that I have been mucking about with the firmware. Thank you very much for any input.

I am getting a strong wireless interference warning. When I checked the “Radio Channel Quality” it said, “Strong interference detected. Be careful when flying long distances”. This happens to matter where I am. I turned off the WiFi on my IPad and had no effect. I did get a message suggesting I turn the WiFi back on.
I bumped up the signal strength from 4mbps to 10mbps. It didn’t fix the problem.
I uninstalled and re-installed DJI Go 4 to no effect.
I am using an Ipad Pro. I switched it out with my cell phone and still get the strong interference warning.
I was getting a “Precise Fly Safe Database update is required” message for a several days. But when I check my status, it appears that I am updated.  When I check for updates nothing happens. The message has not returned.
Below are listed the latest versions I have downloaded and installed.
App-Version 4.1.18
Remote Controller Version 1.9.3
Flight Database Version 01.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database Version 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database version 01.00.01.07
I frequently lose picture during flight. The first time I hit Return To Home and the aircraft returned home successfully. The second time I lost all picture my P4 was only about 200 feet away. Losing the video signal is usually for a few seconds. One time it was for several minutes.
This morning I noticed that if the RC is within 2 feet of the aircraft that the video signal drops out.
Two days ago I got a Vision Sensor Communication Error 10000.It said to restart the aircraft and contact DJI support if the problem persists. I did restart and the warning did not reappear.
Sometimes upon powering up the camera will pull hard to the left and shoot down, shooting the landing gear. This happened twice while flying when I lost signal. Powering up and down resolves the issue.
I have had to take the DJI Knowledge Test twice in the same day.
I again updated the firmware yesterday to no avail. I then installed the factory default settings, to no avail.
Today I notice that my map only displays a grid pattern and no map.
2017-11-29
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Bill Hitchcock Posted at 2017-11-29 15:09
By the way-I was "fans64a0c585" and just changed the avatar to my name. If you don't mind, I have complied all of what has been going on and posted it below. It seems like a new problem every day now that I have been mucking about with the firmware. Thank you very much for any input.

I am getting a strong wireless interference warning. When I checked the “Radio Channel Quality” it said, “Strong interference detected. Be careful when flying long distances”. This happens to matter where I am. I turned off the WiFi on my IPad and had no effect. I did get a message suggesting I turn the WiFi back on.

Oh my... Bill why don't you request from admins latest beta firmware to try with?
2017-11-29
Use props
Bill Hitchcock
lvl.2
United States

Normally I would run and hide from being a beta tester. But drastic times require drastic measures! I'm game! What do I do?
God Bless,
Bill
2017-11-29
Use props
fansa4c746a9
lvl.1
United States

Could I please get the beta firmware. P4P very unstable since last upgrade. Thanks.
Rwzeigler@comcast.net
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2617f6b6
New
Sweden

fansa4c746a9 Posted at 2017-11-29 15:45
Could I please get the beta firmware. P4P very unstable since last upgrade. Thanks.

Hey, I have the same problem and talked to the support. They say I should try on an Android.... or an iOS 10.3.3 because the 11 have issues. They're working on an update to be released this week... I have a shoot tomorrow, WHAT TO DOO???
2017-11-29
Use props
surfnhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398625 ft
United States

Well I have an Android and I'm having the same problems personally I don't know if it's the firmware update or not because I haven't updated to the new version and Im having the same problems as everyone else
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2617f6b6
New
Sweden

surfnhunt Posted at 2017-11-29 17:57
Well I have an Android and I'm having the same problems personally I don't know if it's the firmware update or not because I haven't updated to the new version and Im having the same problems as everyone else

I agree, it shouldn't be a problem. I've been trying to update from the assistant but I get failure every time when I'm transmitting from my Macbook.... I'm so tired and stressed right now.
2017-11-29
Use props
surfnhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398625 ft
United States

My personal opinion is that we've all spent $1,000 for these pieces of equipment and we're dealing with a billion dollar company that can't get it right and that's a little bit aggravating
2017-11-29
Use props
fans07c825cb
New
Flight distance : 272897 ft
United States

Can not update firmware fails every time at 36%. I find it unbelievable that DJI can't get program an update that works right the first time every time. With as much money as we spend on their drones you would think they could make this update process user friendly. Windows millennium worked better than this for Christ's sakes
2017-11-30
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20682 ft

United States

What was the outcome off this? I posted awhile back, making my own post, because I have lost transmission signal entirely. My gimbal is unresponsive to controller but does the startup dance, and also “stands at attention” like normal but that’s it. Everything is current but my p4 has been sitting in the closet useless for a couple months now. How do I get beta firmware?
2018-1-17
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Since the firmware issues, I didn’t imagine that Mavic PRO 2 or Phantom 5 would be launched before P4 firmware.
2018-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules