DJI Inspire Roadmap
3646 30 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Given all the negativity the P3 has generated with the Inspire users. I think it would be a good idea for DJI to plecate the Inspire user base by publishing a roadmap which details the development of the Inspire over the next 12 months. I know development slips, but this would go a long way to reassuring the current users that they have not wasted their money in the Inspire.
2015-4-9
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

If enough people agree, perhaps that may prompt DJI into action. You never know. Its a more positive way of directing their energy than just moaning.
2015-4-9
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I think that's a fair idea. The Inspire platform comes at a premium price and in its current state, in my opinion is not worth the extra cost over the Phantom 3. However it is a superb platform for future modular upgrades and development. As we have already paid a substantial price in both financial cost and beta testing, we can only hope that DJI is indeed a great company and keeps these costs to a minimum to us Inspire users.
I recently purchased both the Phantom vision plus and the Inspire, so Im really P'd off at the moment. Lets have a little faith and hope they stand by their morals and what they preach.
In the meantime I'm sure those beta guys have our backs ;)
2015-4-9
Use props
bolwerk.arnold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12238 ft
Germany

I want to know!!!
2015-4-9
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

I think that Dji needs a good competition from another company.
There is no way that they would act like they do if they would know that costumes can run to a different platform.

The price of the inspire was lower from the beginning, we would have an idea for the future of our product, we would get the best quality for the money, etc. and much much betters costumer support.

In that point we all waiting for dji to send us the new e800 lock system, fix major issues still with the FW, rumers about  a new charger that fits the needs of the battery and all of that before speaking on improving the usability of this top dollar drone with features like ground station, poi and more.

In my opinion dji leaves a huge gap for a new western company to step in to the market and do better- I hope that it will happen sooner then later.

2015-4-9
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

Here is what i think DJI will do:

Release an Inspire 2 by the end of the year and forget about Inspire 1 users....... No SDK no Waypoints... To get all that you will have to buy their new shinny toy the Inspire 2.... There is your ROADMAP...
2015-4-9
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-4-9 19:59
Here is what i think DJI will do:

Release an Inspire 2 by the end of the year and forget about Insp ...

Unfortunately I think you could be right but I'm hoping we are wrong.

That live view event was so so cheesy it was embarrassing. If twats with their shirts undone to their navel surrounded by what looked like hookers pretending to have a good party time is the future, well we are stuffed and its time to say cheerio. The flight out of the window however was cool. Rant over, back to topic.

The Inspire 2 will come along sometime in some shape or form, we can guarantee that. What would be constructive is users of the current V1 have a sensible cost effective upgrade path based on the Inspire 1' design, should they wish to take it. In the meantime DJI should deliver what was advertised when purchased!

Interesting times ahead for sure however there are plenty of other choices out there including the DIY route so as long as the product suits i will support and possibly purchase other DJI products, if not I will vote not by grumbling but by going else where.
2015-4-9
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-4-9 20:38
Unfortunately I think you could be right but I'm hoping we are wrong.

That live view event was so ...

Well they are deftnly doing that... SDK is coming for the P3(""coming Soon""?) LOL, plus now you can live stream your flights to youtube right from the App.. Oh wait,  thats only available to P3 Owners.. SMH... see my point..?
2015-4-9
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

ReaLLY? You don't think DJI has tons of money in R&D on the Inspire?  And MUCH less into the P Platform? They took the same old bird in its third iteration and UPDATED it with the SW/FW R&D from the Inspire.  Thats is.  Smart marketing
2015-4-9
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

To get what I'm pretty sure I want as a second AC, I would be looking for a cheap structurally sound used Inspire that may have gone in the drink. I would then gut all of the electronics, and replace the landing gear servo. Then, I would install/outfit with a controller and ESC/motor package that is similar to a spreading wings and compatible with the PC ground station and a Futaba TX/RX. The end result would be a well performing AC with the GS functionality and separated from the bad proprietary elements that are potentially restrictive (shitty firmware).  
Just a thought...
2015-4-9
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like your idea Skyvideoct.   Maybe bone out my I1.
2015-4-9
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

You boys have fun with that little project and let me know how it goes!!  Sounds like a lotto work
2015-4-9
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

This is an absolutely fantastic idea.  This is really what Inspire owners need-reassurance.  With he Phantom 3 being almost identical, DJI needs to let everyone know that the Inspire 1 has not been abandoned and that the Inspire 1 has lots of great developments in the future.
2015-4-9
Use props
Devincard
lvl.3
Flight distance : 506421 ft
Canada

I agree, we definitely need a road map showing where they are going....I need to know if they are going to allow expansion with this inspire 1  one just phase it out for an Inspire 2. I will be buying a second one as soon as its clear they are aiming to improve and expand on this model.
2015-4-9
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

The roadmap sounds great but, I don't think DJI will go down that road. This is the kind of data DJI will not want to broadcast to their competitors for obvious reasons.
2015-4-11
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

I just got my hands on a leaked, internal DJI roadmap.

First Quarter 2014:  Put team  in place to develop Inspire 1/ Triumph as new category  for Prosumer Drone

Third Quarter 2014 : Announce Inspire 1 with major fanfare

Fourth Quarter 2014:  Numerous product defects found on Inspire 1. Delay Release. Show off R&D Gimbal that small Ronin team is working  on to continue hype machine.

First Quarter 2015: Release product with as many fixes as possible. Realize mistakes are too far and between. Accounting will release preliminary data that shows Inspire 1 is not profitable due to unexpected part costs (switch carbon fiber supplier), much higher than predicted rate of repair.

Second Quarter 2015:  CEO axes further Inspire 1 development. Implement  failsafe/backup plan to release Phantom 3  at 50% of cost which was being concurrently developed  and with near total feature parity in an effort to drive the market of nearly all potential Inspire 1 buyers  to Phantom instead.

Third Quarter 2015:  Discontinue sales of Inspire 1 platform. Announce  Phantom 3 version 2.0 with  pop up legs movable gimbal and more powerful rotors.

-chris "smart money says thats your roadmap" con

2015-4-11
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

As I was saying...as my friend ST FRIEND might say...ILLOGICAL.  You really believe that DJI would abandon 'the way forward' platform for  a old, tired one? Please  The Phantom series was long overdue for a facelift...it got one.  You think DJI is going to continue with Phantoms forever without doing something radical? Wrong
2015-4-11
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

Yeah Chris not so sure why you would post that it would be foolish to believe such thing.
2015-4-11
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Well well boys. NEWS FLASH from Los Angeles. While downtown LA just now I see a TV crew in from of the Disney Hall (The Frank Gehrey masterpiece). Anyway I stop when I see among their various gear cases a DJI Inspire case!  I get out and chat and find out they are here from Bejing doing a TV show on LA sites. And guess what?  They have a V2 (or 1.5 or something) of the Inspire. They spoke little English but showed me the bird but would not allow me any pictures of it. I saw it for a flash. Here what I did see. The gimbal is the same BUT it did have some kind of new boxy looking camera attached. Not unlike a Gopro but not one. Sorry that's all I got. Maybe next week at NAB there will be an announcement.  I'm trying to go!  I'm intrigued
2015-4-12
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-13 02:39
Well well boys. NEWS FLASH from Los Angeles. While downtown LA just now I see a TV crew in from of t ...

A new camera option would be very cool. I may need to set up a separate bank account specifically for funding DJI purchases :-)
2015-4-12
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

And As an addendum. It did NOT look like the new P3 camera. It was larger and seemed to have a filter or lens covering over the lens. I know I know no pictures then it didn't happen. BS. IT DID. On the way to get my son I'll see if I can snap something of the crew
2015-4-12
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-13 02:53
And As an addendum. It did NOT look like the new P3 camera. It was larger and seemed to have a filte ...

I wonder how long they're filming for. Maybe I can swing by if they're still around.
2015-4-12
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Just rolled by and they were gone. HOWEVER in the DPs broken English I got the sense they were coming back at magic hour to shoot the exterior. Go!  See what yiy can find out
2015-4-12
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

An observation. They used exactly what I shoot with. 5dMIII, Sony a7s and the Inspire1. The crew was 4 people. Bet they are somewhere in the area.  Downtown. Lots to shoot there
2015-4-12
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Of course we can speculate all day long about what DJI has planned for the Inspire 1. I myself have high hopes once all these so called kinks get worked out.  I would tend to speculate that there are far more happy customers with the Inspire 1 than there are unhappy ones.  Believe me, I get the frustrations of all the very upset customers in here and do I think a road map should be offered. You bet. I will be 4-6 weeks without mine and it's killing me. I also think they should be hiring and training new people like there is no tomorrow. This 4-5 week delay has been going on for so long that I don't think they have made any effort to stop the bleeding. If this was an American company, I am sure we would be hearing the phrase "Class action lawsuit" by now and many times over. Its as if a few really smart guys got together, created a fantastic platform but then hired a bunch inexperienced business people to run the company. No matter how wonderful the product, if there is not tech support and customer service to support it, it's not worth the materials it was made with.

At this point I would just be happy with better Communication. Those of us who have Inspires in the shop just want to know what the heck is going on. The times that I have gotten through to talk to someone, they were very nice and tried to get the answers I was asking. They are definitely suffering from growing pains and that can be a double edge sword. Wonderful if you know what to do about it, bad  if you think the problem it going to work itself out. It will take far more than a few firmware updates and a roadmap. Even if there were a road map, would you trust what they put in it? Would it effect your loyalties? I am not sure myself to be honest.

The silver lining for me is that I know the feeling I got when I flew it for the first time and as a complete newbie I have dove in head first so can say this with some confidence that after hanging around with other significantly more advanced pilots than myself, building one of these  birds with all the same functionality and bells and whistles as the Inspire would not be an easy task. I know that there are some of you that may be up for the challenge, but for the majority of us, this is an incredible machine. My wish is that DJI will make ME feel much more comfortable about its reliability in the very near future.  
2015-4-13
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

My wish is that DJI will make ME feel much more comfortable about its reliability in the very near future.

Me too
2015-4-20
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Notice........not ONE comment from DJI on this thread!  I love my I1, but I'm feeling more and more jaded as each day roles by without some commentary from DJI!
2015-4-21
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

tpallai Posted at 2015-4-10 11:17
This is an absolutely fantastic idea.  This is really what Inspire owners need-reassurance.  With he ...

being almost identical.....
there are a different sistem , with different quality, with different material...
where is carbon in P3?
where is landing gear on P3?
try to use your P3 at 15kmh of wind and try to use I1 and let me the difference
Put your P3 on 250mt altitude and tell me if u can
Leave oyr P3 more of 200mt of distance , and u don't see it ( I1 it's bigger and have a very good light sistem)

P3 it's all plastic parts by stamp ( structure)
can u use your p3 with 2 controller?? ( think to work for tv or cinema , you can pilot your I1 , and leave the control of the shooting at the television director)

P3 it's a very good uav , and for italian law less of 2kg it's simple to work, but Inspire , in my opinion , it's different target ( remeber tha phantom it's 3 years old , and it's easy make upgrade )

I confirm that NO SDK , NO GROUND STATION  and NO WAYPOINTS , in inspire 1 , and see that this features it's present in P3 ,angers me a lot, and I sincerely hope that DJI give this quickly even inspire 1

PS: I do not think there is a inspire 2 in 2015
By
2015-4-21
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Moving to the NEXT level:
I want/wish for groundsation/airware compatibility/functionality as in "Prosumer". The AC has this capability, allow growth!
Get the SDK out NOW so that developers can have a chance to take the platform to the NEXT level!
Listen to the "Prosumers" that you created with the Inspire 1 and make the community proud to be a part of the growth.
Get/give more feedback to threads that are proactive to these goals as stated above.
Allow filters for those of us that do not need the noise created by unnecessary detractors/newbies(BM). Keep us ALL in the loop of a minimum two week lookahead as far as the development pipeline and waht's "coming our way"
Engage us, Cajole us, and make us a happy element of your future growth! the rewards are exponential!!

2015-4-21
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-4-21 22:26
Notice........not ONE comment from DJI on this thread!  I love my I1, but I'm feeling more and more  ...

To be honest, all the threads to trying to temp DJI into revealing their plans have failed to get a response. I would understand that they wouldn't want to reveal functionality that might be copied by competitors. However, they are now in a position where they have to catch up to the likes of the Solo. So there is nothing to be lost in informing their customer base of the plans to bring the Inspire up to where

a) they initially advertised the product
b) to keep it contemporary to the competition

I personally don't understand DJI's reluctance to talk to their customers. Its pretty shameful. I certainly wouldn't run my business this way, particularly in light of the competition.
2015-4-21
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

lethbrp Posted at 2015-4-21 23:05
To be honest, all the threads to trying to temp DJI into revealing their plans have failed to get  ...

Yip, totally agree...

I think DJI are loosing customer share in bucket loads at this point, and it's very disappointing to me who's very first Drone was an Inspire1...
2015-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules