Compass
1220 12 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dgreene4242
New
United States

Help for a new owner- I just bought a Phantom 4 Advanced, I see in the youtube Video's everybody say you should calibrate the Compass on each flight.  I see the field Compass Normal but i don't see "calibrate compass button" .  I have the most current firmware.  what am i missing?
thanks
DG

2017-10-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You should never calibrate before every flight.  I haven't calibrated in over a year.
2017-10-25
Use props
Marcelo Nannig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 383602 ft
Chile

It is not necessary to calibrate compass every time...unless DJI GO 4 app alert you to need calibration.
2017-10-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You are probably looking at an old video, back when everyone, including DJI, thought it was a good idea to calibrate before every flight.

But it is not a good idea, never was, and nowadays the advice is to only calibrate the compass when the Go App asks you to.
2017-10-25
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft
United Kingdom

Even if your visiting a new location? you are saying don't calibrate unless dji do app prompts you to?
2017-10-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-25 14:49
Even if your visiting a new location? you are saying don't calibrate unless dji do app prompts you to?

To all extents and purposes, the 'new location' thing is a red herring. And no, don't calibrate unless the Go App asks you to.
2017-10-25
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"say you should calibrate the Compass on each flight. "

Don't believe the hype.

2017-10-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-25 14:49

Go to p57 of the P4 Advanced manual and it tells you everything you need to know about calibrating the compass.
It doesn't say anything about calibrating when you fly from a new location, nothing about 100 miles or 1000 miles.
And nothing about calibrating the compass before flying for the first time.

Summary:  Don't mess with your compass.  Just leave it alone.
2017-10-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Here are some scenarios that we suggest calibrating the compass:
1. When compass data is abnormal, and the Aircraft Status Indicator is blinking red and yellow.
2. When flying in a new location, or a location that is different from your last flight.
3. When the aircraft moves erratically during flight, i.e. the drone doesn't fly in straight lines.
You can go to this route: MC Settings--Advanced Settings--Sensor State--Compass--calibrate.
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Here are some situation that you need to calibrate your compass:
1. Bad flight performance
2. It is hard for your drone to hover stably.
3. Can not fly in a straight line.
4. A new flying place.
5. Reminder from your app.
2017-10-26
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do not do this. Only calibrate when you are asked to by the App. The older DJI drones told you to calibrate when you changed location by a good distance but no need for the new breed.
2017-10-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I don't calibrate before every flight.

But if I had, it's because we moved 200km or more between our last calibration and now.

If you get a bad calibration always doing it, and try to fly, you will forever regret it...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-27
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

If you believe broken glass and black cats are unlucky then you should do a compass calibration before every flight, just in case.
2017-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules