osmo with compact cameras?
14846 13 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Hi -

Can I use the osmo with a compact camera? I already have a really good camera (+ better optical zoom than the osmo with built in camera) - so would like to put my compact camera in the mobile osmo.

Will it work? Or will it just fall out/not work? The camera I want to put in is the Nikon Coolpix a900.

Thanks!

2017-10-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The OSMO Mobile is specifically for phones, that camera would not be compatible.
2017-10-25
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

I see. Do you have anything that *can* work with compact cameras?
2017-10-25
Use props
Felipe Olvera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94849 ft
United States

Check the dimensions and compare it to a iPhone 7 plus or Samsung s8 and if they're comparable - then it should fit.
2017-10-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiguy001 Posted at 2017-10-25 19:39
I see. Do you have anything that *can* work with compact cameras?

I think the weight of compact cameras will damage the gimbal of osmo mobile. I would not recommend you mount them.
2017-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think you will be better off buying a (non DJI) gimbal for this weight if you want to use it with a compact camera.
There are some affordable ones that have good reviews online (about the same price as the osmo mobile).
As soon as DJI releases one for compact camera's (I'm not sure if they will, since they have the Osmo line with built in camera), I will of course advice you to buy that one
2017-10-25
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-25 23:50
I think you will be better off buying a (non DJI) gimbal for this weight if you want to use it with a compact camera.
There are some affordable ones that have good reviews online (about the same price as the osmo mobile).
As soon as DJI releases one for compact camera's (I'm not sure if they will, since they have the Osmo line with built in camera), I will of course advice you to buy that one

Hi - thanks. Can you recommend any good gimbals?

I've done some testing with a variety of them, everything from $60 counter-balance weight gimbals to the $1k electronic - and so far - at least for me - none of them does a 'great' job. The electronic does a 'so-so' job - while it seems to eliminate jitter - it doesn't really get rid of the wobble...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
2017-10-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiguy001 Posted at 2017-10-29 08:48
Hi - thanks. Can you recommend any good gimbals?

I've done some testing with a variety of them, everything from $60 counter-balance weight gimbals to the $1k electronic - and so far - at least for me - none of them does a 'great' job. The electronic does a 'so-so' job - while it seems to eliminate jitter - it doesn't really get rid of the wobble...

Two things to consider:
- Is you camera between the supported minimum and maximum weight of the gimbal. If it is close to either one (almost too light or too heavy), your gimbal will have a hard time.
You have about 300gr, so the gimbal has to be in that range.
- Did you balance the gimbal with the lens extracted?
Your coolpix has a rather long and heavy lens that will affect the balance of the gimbal. Also the display should stay in the same place as when you balanced.
Don't zoom after you balanced the gimbal. If you want to zoom in or out, re balance.
Make very sure your camera won't move left, right etc. with the gimbal OFF when you think it is balanced. Just shake it a little to see if you are on the right spot.
(nobody said it was easy)

From what I have seen and tested, a gimbal will work out the bigger motion changes. Not the small jitter. That requires a stabilized lens or camera (you have VR, so you should be good with that).

I have tested a zhiyun crane v2 for my DSLR. Very good gimbal, but I lack a image stabilized lens so I got lot's of micro jitter.
Too bad DJI does not have this kind of gimbals, since they rule really do a great job on making them.
From what I've read, both Zhiyun and Feiyu make good gimbals.

2017-10-29
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-29 09:23
Two things to consider:
- Is you camera between the supported minimum and maximum weight of the gimbal. If it is close to either one (almost too light or too heavy), your gimbal will have a hard time.
You have about 300gr, so the gimbal has to be in that range.

Thanks. Just seeing this reply now... I'll look into those...
2017-11-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiguy001 Posted at 2017-11-24 20:37
Thanks. Just seeing this reply now... I'll look into those...

You're welcome!
2017-11-25
Use props
db1951
New

United States

I just got my OSMO pocket but the adapter to attach my Galaxy 8+ is not compatible with the one on the camera.   WTF?
2018-12-15
Use props
db1951
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-10-25 14:47
The OSMO Mobile is specifically for phones, that camera would not be compatible.

I received OSMO but only one adapter came and it will not fit my G8
2018-12-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hectorcot Posted at 12-26 14:59
Do you think I can use an DJI Osmo mobile number 5 with a Olympus TG6 ?

I don't think so.
That is way too heavy.
Plus it will be hard to mount.
2021-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules