Disappointment in purchasing
2079 19 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Warren Treon
lvl.1

United States

A little backstory:

I'm a new drone enthusiast; I started by flying a friend of mine’s Phantom 3 standard and immediately fell in love. So I began looking into purchasing my own drone; after shopping around I found the Mavic would be a perfect fit for me. Better yet, DJI was realizing a new line of the Mavic! The platinum, for $100 more I could get ~3mine more flight time and cool quite propellers. It’s release date just so happened to fall on my birthday, September 25th, thus telling me it was a match made in heaven. I made my preorder and was set. Note, this was back in early September.

My problem:

Come the release date I get an email telling me it will be delayed, I’m not surprised it’s a popular product this thing happens, but my compensation is 50% off a battery. Uhh.. That would be cool if I had a drone to fly, but I don’t. “Whatever” I thought, it wasn’t a big deal to me; I gave the code to my friend with the Phantom 3 so he could buy a new battery. (Later found out they’re out of stock also so even that was a no-go). I reach out to DJI to see when I could expect to have my drone, and I am first told “Early to mid-October.” This aligned with my previous delayed shipment experiences, so it wasn’t a major problem. Well come October 20th, past mid-October in my opinion, I reach out to DJI again! Albeit I was a little annoyed as I dropped $1400 sum odd dollars on a product with nothing to show for it but pitiful emails explaining it will be coming, just later than expected, only to be told it will, and I quote from my live chat representative, “No later than Oct 25..” This was a little bit beyond what I had hoped for, but annoyed I agreed with it and moved on. However, come Oct. 25 and there is nothing. Now, at this point I am incredibly disappointed in DJI after I have not heard from them directly without me reaching out first which is incredibly poor form on their part in my opinion. I get in the que to talk to a DJI rep again, first time it has ever happened for me maybe other people where airing the same complaint, and low and behold I’m told it will ship out later.  

My Final Statement

DJI, I am beyond words with the poor treatment I’ve had with my purchasing experience. I love your products but your marketing and distribution is garbage. If my product is delayed I understand, the market is by no means a stable entity, but all I ask is for you to TELL ME. I have a right to know the status of my product I spent a very considerable sum of money on. This experience has left such a poor taste in my mouth that I am reaching out on a public forum so others can be aware of this problem. In the future DJI, inform your consumers; tell us what is going on and for the love of god; the best compensation you can give us is 50% off a battery? That’s a spit right in the face of first time drone purchasers. (I know I’m not the only one with this same stance as I read a forum post about this a while back.)

Sincerely,

A disappointed Customer

2017-10-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Congratulations!  This is standard practice for DJI & this is the 5000th thread about this type of stuff.  Bummer, but the drone is fun ONCE YOU GET IT.  Just be sure to get State Farm Insurance on it so you do not have to deal with DJI's "after-sales" department.
2017-10-25
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Yup ditto! I have not bothered chasing DJI directly as there have been so many already doing that. That said a week ago I did get a (PM) response from a DJI forum moderator to a similar post from me - in that he had  forwarded my request for shipping info on to the relevant team and 'that they were looking into it'. Since then no direct or indirect response from any said 'shipping team'. What is additionally annoying is that it seems that some people, having ordered more recently (2nd Week October) are getting MPPs shipped out now. So this, and the complete silence about shipping delays beyond the mail with the '50% off one battery' offer - make for a very poor impression by this company. DJI given their size and location of their manufacturing and assembly factories, should follow the protocol of what Apple do. Basically have enough market research done up front to know the likely volumes and therefore the lead time needed to stock up for the actual release day. Just from picking up on the various high sub'd Youtubers who are starting to receive and review the MPP it would seem the USA has the first major shipment but that is still limited in volume. There have been a couple on this forum who have had firmware issues - so maybe there has been a quality control problem and they have had to recall certain batches from the supply chain to fix them before they get to actual customers. (Just a guess!) ... but that's what we do when there is no solid and official info from DJI.
2017-10-25
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I feel for you, and no, you are not alone.
But half off a battery ain't bad.....
2017-10-25
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Flycaster Posted at 2017-10-25 12:44
I feel for you, and no, you are not alone.
But half off a battery ain't bad.....

.. indeed, I actually took up the offer plus one at full cost - so I have had for over a month now - two nice shiny new Platinum coloured batteries just sitting there waiting for a bird to go fly with. lol
2017-10-25
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46283 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-25 12:19
Congratulations!  This is standard practice for DJI & this is the 5000th thread about this type of stuff.  Bummer, but the drone is fun ONCE YOU GET IT.  Just be sure to get State Farm Insurance on it so you do not have to deal with DJI's "after-sales" department.

How much does State Farm Insurance cost.  I am waiting for my MPP which is supposed to ship out sometime during first week of November or so I am hopping.  I know that I can register it with in 48 hours after receiving it with Refresh Care.  However after reading all the post about DJI's poor customer service
I'm thinking of going with a local protection provider.  
2017-10-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Silver Surfer Posted at 2017-10-25 12:52
How much does State Farm Insurance cost.  I am waiting for my MPP which is supposed to ship out sometime during first week of November or so I am hopping.  I know that I can register it with in 48 hours after receiving it with Refresh Care.  However after reading all the post about DJI's poor customer service

Don't waste your time, frustration, OR MONEY on "refresh."  It's like proving a point to a 5-year old.  If you'd like, just send a random stranger $99.

State Farm is about $30/year, but many states have a $60 minimum (so it might be $60).  All insurance companies keep a database, so 1 claim is all you've got.  Do this since this is a 3rd party & not the manufacturer.  It's prudent to do this.

If you get a BRAND NEW Mavic with issues, return for a refund.  Why in the heck people are duped into claiming a warranty on NEW ITEMS is beyond me.  THIS IS WHY I BOUGHT ALL OF MY MAVICS FROM BEST BUY!!!  It's worth the tax paid, so good luck!  FYI:  It took 3 to get a good one.

Watch Ed Ricker's YouTube stuff & Tom's Tech Time for short, concise information that will help you not crash your Mavic & get the most out of it.  
2017-10-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Silver Surfer Posted at 2017-10-25 12:52

To add to what DRONE-flies-YOU said, the State Farm policies are available in most but not all states (you can't buy them in CA or MA), and not every State Farm agent is willing to sell them. Assuming you're in a state where they're available, though, check, the spreadsheet that the "Results" link in this thread points to and you can probably find an agent in your state that's known to have sold the policy to someone.
2017-10-25
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

When was the exact date you preordered? I preordered on 9/4 and got mine 10/17. I agree that 6 weeks waiting is a long time but last year, people had to wait around 3 months for their's. I knew what I was getting into, but now you know and you shouldn't expect that to change.

Also, be aware on the personal article insurances, as if you make a claim it may affect your home and/or auto insurance rates and you most likely won't be able to re-insure your drone again.
2017-10-25
Use props
Warren Treon
lvl.1

United States

AEM74 Posted at 2017-10-25 18:11
When was the exact date you preordered? I preordered on 9/4 and got mine 10/17. I agree that 6 weeks waiting is a long time but last year, people had to wait around 3 months for their's. I knew what I was getting into, but now you know and you shouldn't expect that to change.

Also, be aware on the personal article insurances, as if you make a claim it may affect your home and/or auto insurance rates and you most likely won't be able to re-insure your drone again.

I preordered mine on Sept. 12, so relatively shortly after you placed yours.
2017-10-25
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Ordered on Amazon, new MPP on 10.17.17, shipped 10.23.17, arriving 10.27.17, standard shipping to Northern California via FedEx, and credit card doesn’t get charged until shipping (typically, but my card hasn’t been charged, speculate since it’s still outside USA, but charge will occur tomorrow).  
2017-10-25
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
United States

Warren Treon Posted at 2017-10-25 18:42

Reading through other people's posts, it seems that they're shipping for some people who ordered fairly recently as opposed those who reordered. I'd give it a few more day but I feel like you're gonna wait more. :/
2017-10-25
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Relax people , i know drone flying is an addict, but what are a few weeks on a humans life. The longer you have to wait , the more you looking forward to its arriving
2017-10-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please accept our apology for keeping you waiting. I feel the same frustration if I am in your position, but I checked your order again, it has escalated to the priority, I personally don't have the time frame when it will be shipped at the moment, but once the drone is sent, you will receive a tracking number on your email. I truly hope you can receive the drone soon.
2017-10-25
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-25 16:22
Don't waste your time, frustration, OR MONEY on "refresh."  It's like proving a point to a 5-year old.  If you'd like, just send a random stranger $99.

State Farm is about $30/year, but many states have a $60 minimum (so it might be $60).  All insurance companies keep a database, so 1 claim is all you've got.  Do this since this is a 3rd party & not the manufacturer.  It's prudent to do this.

Thanks for the great information.  I should of ordered my MPP from Best Buy...  To late now.  I m just going to wait for it and God willing it will be a good one without issues or problems.
2017-10-26
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
United States

MavicMule Posted at 2017-10-25 19:20
Ordered on Amazon, new MPP on 10.17.17, shipped 10.23.17, arriving 10.27.17, standard shipping to Northern California via FedEx, and credit card doesn’t get charged until shipping (typically, but my card hasn’t been charged, speculate since it’s still outside USA, but charge will occur tomorrow).

I also ordered mine on 10/17 and received a message that it will ship in 10 to 15 days.  So I am waiting to hear from DJI.  Hopefully I will receive an email stating that it has shipped with in the next 7 days.
I should of ordered mine from Amazon prime, but I thought that I would receive it quicker by ordering straight from DJI and paying through PayPal.  I guess if it doesn't ship I can always ask for a refund from PayPal for not having received it.
2017-10-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the world of drones and it's leading manufacturer - all of the frustration will melt away as soon as the door bell rings and UPS are stood there with your Mavic Pro Platinum in hand. In the interim - don't waste your time or energy chasing it up as you'll get a different date from everyone you speak to. It will arrive and they will email when shipped and it will be an amazing time. I find the waiting actually makes me appreciate it more when it arrives. At least you can also get a 2nd battery for 50% - most people who waited over three months last year for their Mavic got nothing by way of compensation - just an amazing drone. The waiting is always made worse when the product is brand new to the line too. If you went for the Mavic Pro (non platinum) you'd be flying it now but I think this one is worth the wait. I've ordered my Platinum edition as sold my previous Mavic due to the Spark but regret doing so - should be here by late November but I hope I have it by Christmas.
2017-10-26
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

AEM74 Posted at 2017-10-25 18:11

Has zero impact on your other policies. I have 4 drones with state farm at a total of 163 per year. Crashed my inspire 1 and just received the new Inspire 1 replacement. Called my agent paid the due and I am reinsured. I am in NJ and the agent is on the Forum
2017-10-26
Use props
gleeco
lvl.1
United States

Warren Treon Posted at 2017-10-25 18:42

Order mine on the 9/7 and still nothing.  50 days.  Status is "Authorized".
2017-10-26
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 2017-10-26 12:18
Has zero impact on your other policies. I have 4 drones with state farm at a total of 163 per year. Crashed my inspire 1 and just received the new Inspire 1 replacement. Called my agent paid the due and I am reinsured. I am in NJ and the agent is on the Forum

Read here.

If you try to purchase insurance next time, there's a chance you will see a rate increase. They don't just insure $1k+ drones for $60 a year and let you file a claim with no deductible without it having a mark on your records. People can abuse it easily if that were the case and insuring drones wouldn't make any financial sense for State Farm.
2017-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules