.MOV to .MP4
9798 16 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

I record all of my Mavic video in .MOV since I use a Mac.  It works without issue on my Samsung 4K TV.  I can fill up a hard drive with Mavic Pro videos and play them on the TV directly, via USB port, from the hard drive. I've been happy with this since I got the Mavic in March though now I can use Plex on the new Apple TV 4K.
A friend of mine just bought a big Vizio 4K TV and when we tried to play some Mavic videos on his TV though the USB port, no videos came up.  A quick google said that his TV needs .MP4 files rater than .MOV.

What is the best way to convert a few .MOV's into .MP4's so we can watch some 4K Mavic video on his new TV?  Also, will I lose quality by doing this? (if so, anyway to minimize that?)
2017-10-25
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

xmediarecode free,fast i use it to convert my mavics footage
2017-10-25
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Why not record in mp4 then, the mavic can do both and your Mac will handle mp4 just fine with little discernable loss in quality.
2017-10-25
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Try Handbrake - been using it for years - https://handbrake.fr - as you are using a mac ...
2017-10-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I guess you've discovered that using Apple-specific stuff that nobody else in the world uses isn't such a smart idea, huh.

Use handbrake to re-encode them.  You can play with the settings to the point where you won't notice any quality difference.  And then switch your Mavic to .mp4.
2017-10-25
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The underlying codec is the same, its only the container which is apple vs rest of planet so there should be no difference at all in quality.  However, transcoding existing MOVs to MP4 *may* reduce quality.
You can use Handbrake to do this if needed.
That said, have you tried simply renaming the .mov to .mp4?  That works on some TVs....

2017-10-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-10-25 12:29
The underlying codec is the same, its only the container which is apple vs rest of planet so there should be no difference at all in quality.  However, transcoding existing MOVs to MP4 *may* reduce quality.
That said, have you tried simply renaming the .mov to .mp4?  That works on some TVs....

Does handbrake have a passthru option for video these days?  I haven't looked recently, but last time I attempted that and poked around it was only passthru for audio, not video.
2017-10-25
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-10-25 12:29

I tried that on my Mac and I can open/play the .MP4 without issue, I just sent my friend a test video where I changed the extension from .MOV to .MP4, I'll report back the results.  Hopefully that will just work.
2017-10-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

CynicalZombie Posted at 2017-10-25 12:37
I tried that on my Mac and I can open/play the .MP4 without issue, I just sent my friend a test video where I changed the extension from .MOV to .MP4, I'll report back the results.  Hopefully that will just work.

It sometimes depends on what codecs the TV can recognize. There are a bunch of converters out there that could do the trick. Manually changing the file format doesn't always do the trick, but keep us posted on how it went.
2017-10-25
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-10-25 14:13
It sometimes depends on what codecs the TV can recognize. There are a bunch of converters out there that could do the trick. Manually changing the file format doesn't always do the trick, but keep us posted on how it went.

It didn't work.  I've converted a few .MOVs into .MP4 using Handbrake.  I'll post the results. It seems that Vizio tv's are a lot more finicky than my Samsung is.
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

CynicalZombie Posted at 2017-10-26 08:50
It didn't work.  I've converted a few .MOVs into .MP4 using Handbrake.  I'll post the results. It seems that Vizio tv's are a lot more finicky than my Samsung is.

Thanks for the update,converting the videos for the Vizio is most likely the best course of action.
2017-10-27
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-10-27 12:23
Thanks for the update,converting the videos for the Vizio is most likely the best course of action.

I use WonderShare Ultimate Converter, converts almost any file format to almost any file format, also lets you d/load U-Tube video, extract MP3 file from videos. Try for free here, I prefer the older version 9.2.0

https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/
2017-10-27
Use props
blackshady
lvl.2

China

You can convert mov to mp4 with TunesKit M4V Converter, a m4v converter.  You can convert the video into MP4 to play it on your friend's new TV.
And no, no video degredation since it's not free ( No freeware can convert lossless as far as I know).Links here: https://www.tuneskit.com/tuneskit-for-win.html
Hope it helps.
2019-8-23
Use props
Jane Smith
lvl.2

United States

There are many free video converters in the market that can convert .mov to .mp4, eg. some free ones like Handbrake, freemake,  online tools like Zamzar, etc. There are also some paid tools which will convert mov files to mp4 such as wondershare, Any video converter, Joyoshare, etc. As for me, my choice is DRmare m4v converter, a paid tool but produces lossless quality at a fast speed.
P.S. This video converter can not only convert DRM-free video files, but also convert DRM-ed video files.
2019-8-25
Use props
Wlee2060
lvl.2

China

I prefer TunesKit Video Converter to convert .mov to .mp4. This is an easy-to-use yet specific video converter software that supports more than 250 formats. Besides, it offers you the possiblity to convert videos without losing any original quality. You can give it a try.
2020-2-5
Use props
mary lanada
New

Philippines

these all ways are easy to convert youtube video to mp3 easy to use i am finding ways like this finally i got this https://btclod.com/
2022-1-20
Use props
djiuser_oW1QVlbOfsVF
New

Philippines

this is perfect for you a video converter check ythub
2022-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules