4210 65 2017-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcaerialstudio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171040 ft
United States

Dear Pilots,

For the first time ever in a year of piloting, I crashed my drone into ~100 feet tall tree and my drone was stuck on the top of the tree.

I did nearly everything possible (except calling the fire department) including:

1. Using the lift truck (it was only able to reach half of the tree which was ~50 feet)
2. Kick the soccer ball as high as possible to hit the branch (which I was only able to kick up to ~70 feet)
3. Bringing friend of mine who is a baseball player to throw baseball to hit the branch
4. Try to max out the propellor speed to get out of the branch
5. Called my friend to hire a chopper (lol)

NONE of these worked and my drone was just stuck there for two days but I MUST save my drone TODAY because according to the forecast it will be raining and my drone will be just gone like that... getting all the rain on top of the tree that is 90~100 feet up high.

Long story short, IF YOUR DRONE IS STUCK ON HIGH TREE, try this and it worked for me today to get it back!!!

1. Get a baseball and a rope (thin one)
2. Wrap and tie the rope around the ball and tape it as well
3. Get a baseball player (or yourself if you can throw high enough)
4. Throw the ball toward the brannch near where the drone is at
5. Let the ball drop on the floor and grab both ropes together
6. SHAKE IT LIKE CRAZY!
7. Get a friend who can bring a thick blanket or winter jacket to catch the falling drone!
8. Hooray, I CAUGHT IT!

Result was amazing even though the base part of the gimbal was broken, it was only $8 on ebay and it's a easy fix ;)

My drone's body was perfect and everything was functional even the gimbal!!!!!

Below are some pictures- just in case if your drone is on the tree, I strongly encourage you- DO NOT GIVE UP AND TRY EVERYTHING.

Happy piloting!

11111.jpg

67788.jpg

2222.jpg

1999.jpg

12341.jpg

2017-10-27
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice, glad you where able to retrieve it..lucky too before the rain came down.  I need one of those truck lifts.
2017-10-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It's lucky that the drone has been retrieved finally. Thanks for sharing with us!
2017-10-27
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Very nice outcome.  At that height I would think that using a bow & arrow would be easier and more precise than the baseball.  But I can't throw a baseball worth a darn anyway.
2017-10-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-27 19:15
Very nice outcome.  At that height I would think that using a bow & arrow would be easier and more precise than the baseball.  But I can't throw a baseball worth a darn anyway.

What's a 'baseball' ?
2017-10-27
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-27 19:18
What's a 'baseball' ?

That's funny, and what's a Kangaroo...
2017-10-27
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

jcaerialstudio
Happy for your outcome and your luck in avoiding major damage
So, would you bother explaining how you ended up where you were and what the cause was, please?
Also, Irate has got a point, a bow & arrow would have been just as effective if not more so.  It is no easy task throwing a baseball nearly straight up 90 plus feet, just sayin.
2017-10-27
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

What's a 'baseball' ?

It's a tool used for removing glass from a window.
2017-10-27
Use props
jcaerialstudio
lvl.2
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-27 19:59
jcaerialstudio
Happy for your outcome and your luck in avoiding major damage
So, would you bother explaining how you ended up where you were and what the cause was, please?

what happened was... I was filming near the pond and the barn next to it in early morning- I usually try to fly low to capture little more detail on the objects Apparently this time, as soon as I saw branch too close to raise my drone up high, it was too late and boom!!!!!!

I always fly around ~80 feet to keep above the trees, but this specific one was one of the tallest trees which I did not expect.... and yes sir, my drone ended up there ;(
2017-10-27
Use props
jcaerialstudio
lvl.2
United States

BTW

Here's my short clip of that morning when my drone was crashed!

2017-10-27
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-27 20:26

I swear your comments are hysterical and coupled with your avatar pic it is just so you, they fit
2017-10-27
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

jcaerialstudio Posted at 2017-10-27 20:32
what happened was... I was filming near the pond and the barn next to it in early morning- I usually try to fly low to capture little more detail on the objects  Apparently this time, as soon as I saw branch too close to raise my drone up high, it was too late and boom!!!!!!

I always fly around ~80 feet to keep above the trees, but this specific one was one of the tallest trees which I did not expect.... and yes sir, my drone ended up there ;(

Not sure this will help you, but I always note all the tall things in my planned flight area and then when I get up I not the altitude they peak out at and then establish a minimum safe distance for me to operate at.  If I go below there, I attempt to use extreme caution in doing so.
Did you have a spotter, as filming will cause you to get tunnel vision and having a spotter can help with that problem too.
Good luck on your next adventure!
2017-10-27
Use props
jcaerialstudio
lvl.2
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-27 20:58
Not sure this will help you, but I always note all the tall things in my planned flight area and then when I get up I not the altitude they peak out at and then establish a minimum safe distance for me to operate at.  If I go below there, I attempt to use extreme caution in doing so.
Did you have a spotter, as filming will cause you to get tunnel vision and having a spotter can help with that problem too.
Good luck on your next adventure!

thanks for the advice sir! Rookie pilot here and need to learn a lot more!
2017-10-27
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

jcaerialstudio Posted at 2017-10-27 20:42
BTW

Nice stuff
Surprised the bird did not get more spooked you were pretty close there at one point...
2017-10-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Easier than cleaning the Halloween eggs, from the window pane?  Haha

You know what's coming, eh?

Just kidding bro.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

This sort of drone enters tree scenario is all too common.

Perhaps in the future you'll want to fly in a large clearing, well away from any  problematic surroundings? Trees and drones are not Compatible. ;-)

Glad she's back home, with you...

RedHotPoker

2017-10-27
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-27 21:36
You know what's coming, eh?

Yup, I know what's coming.  It's that time of year when I gotta spend my hard-earned money on Snickers bars and razor blades.
2017-10-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-27 21:46
Yup, I know what's coming.  It's that time of year when I gotta spend my hard-earned money on Snickers bars and razor blades.

I like the trick where you swallow those razor blades and some string.
Then pull the string out, with those blades tied to it, in equal distances apart... ;-)

I need to buy a bunch of paper bags and some wooden matches.
& visit the local dairy farmer, for a few fresh "frisbees". Haha

Happy Hallows Eve!!

RedHotPoker
2017-10-27
Use props
Saskebaby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1017989 ft
Philippines

BTW

Nice...thanks for sharing

2017-10-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ah yeah, read Cricket Ball here.
2017-10-27
Use props
Spacer2711
lvl.4
Flight distance : 821821 ft
Netherlands

BTW

It is a very nice environment and beautifully filmed. Personally, I do not dare to film near trees after my last crash.
2017-10-27
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-27 19:54
That's funny, and what's a Kangaroo...

a great big jumping mouse
2017-10-27
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

jcaerialstudio Posted at 2017-10-27 20:32
what happened was... I was filming near the pond and the barn next to it in early morning- I usually try to fly low to capture little more detail on the objects  Apparently this time, as soon as I saw branch too close to raise my drone up high, it was too late and boom!!!!!!

From the last picture i would have thought that you where out testing inspired by this.
The picture from the drone clearly show the effect even it could have been improved. :-)

Nice ending and nice morning shot.
2017-10-28
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

What's a 'baseball' ?

The US version of a cricket ball.
2017-10-28
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-28 00:28
The US version of a cricket ball.

...and a cricket is a bug you squash before it starts making a racket
2017-10-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-28 01:32

You did that to Jiminy? I am truly shocked.
2017-10-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-27 19:15

That's what I use ...

You only need a good Kiddies bow .. not even a pro one.

Good Bow
Good arrow
First section of fishing rod with fixed spool reel and line.

Bowman and another holding reel in line of flight.

Fire up and OVER the point needed.

Even if arrow does not come down other side ... you usually get it 'caught' in the branches ...

Nigel
2017-10-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-28 01:32

Cricket ..... lazy sunday afternoons sitting on the village green with Pint of real Beer in one hand ... cucumber sandwich in other .... watching the game.

Heaven !

Nigel
2017-10-28
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-28 02:42
Cricket ..... lazy sunday afternoons sitting on the village green with Pint of real Beer in one hand ... cucumber sandwich in other .... watching the game.

Heaven !

Cucumber sandwich...is that a thing

Yes you Europeans and their related brethren certainly know how to live the refined life
I guess us yanks just have to suffer through a good burger, dog or maybe some BBQ ribs and a low class PBR watching the world series...it's rough but someone has to do it
2017-10-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

World Series !! Sorry but that always makes me smile.

In terms of International Competition :

Did you know that more countries play Rugby than play American Football ?

More countries play Football (Soccer as per USA) than American Football ?

More countries play Cricket than Baseball ?

Funny that !!

Cucumber Sandwiches :

Good natural plain bread.
100% slightly salted pure butter spread thinly on each slice.
Small amount of true English Salad Cream thinly spread each slice.
Sliced fresh Cucumber leaving the green skin layered on one slice.
Place other slice on top and cut  to suit.

A short spell in the refrigerator just to cool the cream and Cucumber works a treat !

At Garden Parties - usually the 'crust' is removed from the bread, but I prefer the crust to remain.

For those 'others' ... substitute a good quality Provencal Mayonnaise for the Salad Cream  ....

Nigel
2017-10-28
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Wow i love the video clip and that duck is like .... i just dont care that just cracked me up.
Im glad you got your drone back without any major damage you are very lucky i think you might want to look at buying a lottery ticket this week lol
2017-10-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

It was when I was a kid... my uncle owned a window shop, when business was slow I would go around at night and drum up some customers for him. (Wink,wink)
2017-10-28
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3146 ft
United States

The next time (hopefully never) you need to place a line accurately into a tree for what ever reason find yourself a ham radio friend with an antenna launcher. Or make one yourself. There are tons of designs on the web and all work very well.

Here is a link; http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html

2017-10-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

BMelody Posted at 2017-10-28 07:45
The next time (hopefully never) you need to place a line accurately into a tree for what ever reason find yourself a ham radio friend with an antenna launcher. Or make one yourself. There are tons of designs on the web and all work very well.

Here is a link; http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html

WOW ... I gotta get one of those !!

I've fired lots of Rocket Lines on ships etc. - but that's gotta be the best !!

Nigel
2017-10-28
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Bows, balls, arrows, fishing rods, rocket launchers, it sounds like a cross between the Olympics and WW3. Nobody seems to be able to see the wood for the trees.

What can a drone pilot do best? Indeed, fly a drone. Fix a good fishing line to a drone fly up and reel out the line, get it accurately placed, get enough slack and bring the line back down.

Oh, and cucumber sandwiches should be cut into triangles, so you can nibble the corners better.
2017-10-28
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-28 09:40
Bows, balls, arrows, fishing rods, rocket launchers, it sounds like a cross between the Olympics and WW3. Nobody seems to be able to see the wood for the trees.

What can a drone pilot do best? Indeed, fly a drone. Fix a good fishing line to a drone fly up and reel out the line, get it accurately placed, get enough slack and bring the line back down.

Now what's the fun in that, I might want to start WWIII

...and I'm betting someone will call you out for getting the second bird stuck too, just sayin...
2017-10-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

There was a Youtube I saw way back about a model Heli used for fishing ! Did not end well !!

Brought back memories of the old days having a tether line to tail of model heli when learning ! Pal would hold it to 'tame' the tail ... this was in days when Gyros were heavy mechanical jobs !

I think I would be very worried attaching a line to a Phantom ...

Nigel
2017-10-28
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-28 09:45
Now what's the fun in that, I might want to start WWIII

...and I'm betting someone will call you out for getting the second bird stuck too, just sayin...

Hell, you called me an anarchist a month ago. Check out the link http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html from Bmelody get one fitted to your drone and off you go. I am just trying to help.....
2017-10-28
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-28 09:52
There was a Youtube I saw way back about a model Heli used for fishing ! Did not end well !!

Brought back memories of the old days having a tether line to tail of model heli when learning ! Pal would hold it to 'tame' the tail ... this was in days when Gyros were heavy mechanical jobs !

Rocket launchers frighten me more. But what is life without risk.
2017-10-28
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like happy endings.
2017-10-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced