no GPS coordinates in EXIF
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ketsko
lvl.1
Flight distance : 190794 ft
Norway

In my Phantom 4 Advanced, no GPS coordinates are stored in the EXIF for jpg files, only when I shoot raw (.dng). I have tried Exiftool etc. to extract it, but it is clearly not present in the jpg EXIF (all other relevant info is there, though). Is there a setting soemwhere??

2017-10-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Exif info is automaticallyrecorded.  There are no settings to change anything.
It would be very unusual if your Phantom is not recording GPS data in the Exif.
Does it do that every flight or just one time?
Was the Phantom outdoors with GPS reception when you shot those photos?
2017-10-28
Use props
ketsko
lvl.1
Norway

I have just found out that no jpg files have gps info. Flight logs are ok, and the exact locations where photos were taken have indeed been recorded there. But nothing in the EXIF. As soon as I switched to raw+jpg, the dng EXIF had gps data, but not the jpgs - from the same flight, actually the same photos.
2017-10-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ketsko Posted at 2017-10-28 10:31
I have just found out that no jpg files have gps info. Flight logs are ok, and the exact locations where photos were taken have indeed been recorded there. But nothing in the EXIF. As soon as I switched to raw+jpg, the dng EXIF had gps data, but not the jpgs - from the same flight, actually the same photos.

Which versions of firmware software are you using ? Reason I ask is that I've checked some of my images from the past few weeks (not many). And some of these have recorded the GPS correctly, whereas others just show 0,0 in the file details.
2017-10-28
Use props
ketsko
lvl.1
Norway

Sorry, don't have the Phantom with me now. But it is the latest firmware & app versions as far as I know. Updated recently (two weeks??). Thing is, I bought the drone in May, but have mostly used it for video, and had no need to look for gps data in jpg EXIF. I did take some photos now and the too, and as it turns out, no GPS data assocated with any jpg file. I now plan to go about the photo part more seriously, and as soon as I switched to raw, there it was... I guess if nobody else had this experience, I need to contact DJI...
2017-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ketsko Posted at 2017-10-29 02:37
Sorry, don't have the Phantom with me now. But it is the latest firmware & app versions as far as I know. Updated recently (two weeks??). Thing is, I bought the drone in May, but have mostly used it for video, and had no need to look for gps data in jpg EXIF. I did take some photos now and the too, and as it turns out, no GPS data assocated with any jpg file. I now plan to go about the photo part more seriously, and as soon as I switched to raw, there it was... I guess if nobody else had this experience, I need to contact DJI...

If it's as you describe, that's very unusual.
I shoot just jpg and no matter which firmware right up to the latest, every jpg file has GPS data in the Exif info.
2017-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules