Lens Imperfection/Dust INSIDE camera
1069 10 2017-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ARose16
New
United States

Hello Everyone!

I just recently purchased a P4Pro brand new from Best Buy. After a few flights I noticed a small smudge/speck/imperfection on the image. (see photos)
Naturally, I cleaned my lens filter and tried again with no improvement. I then took a photo without the lens filter attached and no luck. So I very VERY carefully cleaned the actual lens with a microfiber cloth and yet again, no improvement.

I've come to beleive there is either dust, or a scratch either on the inside of the lens, or on the sensor itself. Luckilly I can work around it. Its only visible when I close my aperture way down, or I'm shooting a blank sky. While I can work around this issue, I do want to get it resolved after my next project, since I do shoot professionally.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? Am I wrong to think that a brand new camera has dust inside? I'm just checking all of my bases before sending it away for repair.

Thanks everyone!

No Lens filter, Aperture @ f/11

No Lens filter, Aperture @ f/11

Aperture at f/5.6 Speck almost invisible, especially if I'm not shooting the sky

Aperture at f/5.6 Speck almost invisible, especially if I'm not shooting the sky
2017-10-28
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like dust on the sensor to me. I’d take it straight back to the retailer.
2017-10-28
Use props
ARose16
New
United States

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-10-28 07:43
Looks like dust on the sensor to me. I’d take it straight back to the retailer.

I looked into that, unfortunately they charge a 15% restocking fee for exchanges.
2017-10-28
Use props
BlueBirdTN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

Take it back and show them this.  Get another unit.   Best Buy has 15 day return policy.
2017-10-28
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

Absolutely, it's dust on the sensor. Nothing you can do to remedy it if you can't take off the lens.
2017-10-28
Use props
ARose16
New
United States

**UPDATE**

Great news, I went ahead and took it to Best Buy and despite being 2 days past the 15 day policy they still exchanged the product with no charge to me. Glad I went!
Thanks everyone!
2017-10-28
Use props
BlueBirdTN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 15% restock fee is only if something is not wrong with it.  I signed that pad stating that when I bought a lens from them last week.  Glad you got it exchange and hopefully sorted out.  Let us know the final outcome.
2017-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ARose16 Posted at 2017-10-28 09:56
**UPDATE**

Great news, I went ahead and took it to Best Buy and despite being 2 days past the 15 day policy they still exchanged the product with no charge to me. Glad I went!

Congratulation but sorry for the experience with our product.
Hope everything goes smoothly and you will get the replacement soon.
2017-10-28
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

ARose16 Posted at 2017-10-28 08:34
I looked into that, unfortunately they charge a 15% restocking fee for exchanges.

Looks like you got sorted seeing as the item was defective. Good news
2017-10-29
Use props
ARose16
New
United States

Thanks again everyone! Best Buy was incredibly helpful. So hats off to them. As far as the replacement goes, I walked out the door that day with a brand new drone since they had some in stock.
That definitely beats waiting 3 weeks to ship it out, have it repaired and shipped back.

Now I just need to give DJI a call tomorrow and see if they can transfer my DJI Care Refresh plan over to my new quad.
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ARose16 Posted at 2017-10-29 12:52
Thanks again everyone! Best Buy was incredibly helpful. So hats off to them. As far as the replacement goes, I walked out the door that day with a brand new drone since they had some in stock.
That definitely beats waiting 3 weeks to ship it out, have it repaired and shipped back.

Glad to know you got a brand new drone.
For DJI Care Refresh, please send email to djicare@dji.com with the old and new serial number and order number if you have, my colleague will assist.
2017-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules