transmitter charging phone: how do I stop this??
4104 26 2017-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jackofalltrayds
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9928 ft

United States

My transmitter is charging my phone (used as the dji go screen)  Samsung S7.  I can't seem to find how to search the posts so forgive me that this is probably redundant.  My transmitter battery runs down more quickly because of charging the phone.  I've tried to find any settings to turn this off to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated. Is there something I can do to the connecting wire that would stop the charging?  
2017-10-29
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Strange, with my iPhone or iPad when connecting to the controller it switches the unit on, gives the charging signal for about a second then goes into normal mode. Maybe a setting in the S7?
2017-10-29
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

How quickly is your transmitter battery running down? Mine lasts for many hours (perhaps more than 6, I've never run it down) even with the charging of the tablet/phone.  Normally should not be a problem.  
2017-10-29
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

My Samsungs (S6 and tablet) both were always having difficulty in connecting in GO.  I suspect the same is going on with them charging the devices rather than switching to data mode and making the connection to GO.  Never figured out how to make it stop charging from the RC so I went to an Apple iPad Air 2, although it too sometimes will not connect unless I unplug the iPad and replug it in and then it connects to GO.  It might be the initial plug in is charging, and when I unplug and replug it in that it switches to data.  Dunno if it the fault of the RC or tablet/phones.
2017-10-29
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I haven't any problems with S7 edge and my RC charging the phone and lasts many many flights (RC). When I connect my phone with RC and turn it on my phone runs DJI GO 4 automatically and I like that
2017-10-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha jack,

Does the DJI GO 4 app at least load and connect to the Phantom?  There are charging USB cables and there are DATA/Charging cables.  If you are using a charging cable, the Remote Controller will not connect to the device but will charge it instead.  Change cables and be sure that when the Android Operating System asks if you want to connect as a multi-media device, you tap "Yes".

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It depends on the power consumption of your mobile and there is no option to disable the charging. I would recommend you to fully charge the mobile or change to another recommended mobile to verify.
2017-10-29
Use props
jackofalltrayds
lvl.1

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-29 15:53
Aloha jack,

Does the DJI GO 4 app at least load and connect to the Phantom?  There are charging USB cables and there are DATA/Charging cables.  If you are using a charging cable, the Remote Controller will not connect to the device but will charge it instead.  Change cables and be sure that when the Android Operating System asks if you want to connect as a multi-media device, you tap "Yes".

yep, starts right up but continues charging.  Works with my ph4 fine, but losing battery to the phone.
2018-8-25
Use props
jackofalltrayds
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-29 20:36
It depends on the power consumption of your mobile and there is no option to disable the charging. I would recommend you to fully charge the mobile or change to another recommended mobile to verify.

good suggestion
2018-8-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

jackofalltrayds Posted at 2018-8-25 06:45
yep, starts right up but continues charging.  Works with my ph4 fine, but losing battery to the phone.

Aloha jack,

Looks like you will have to enable developer rights to access the USB options.  Look up "Enabling developer rights in Android.", on Google to see how to do that.  Do be aware that "developer rights" is a double edge sword though.

When the developer rights have been enabled, look up USB in the "Settings" option.  Then enable "Use as a Media Device" or something similar.  You will see "Charging" as another option.  But, I think if you use a USB "Charging" cable, the Samsung will default to charging.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-25
Use props
Al S. Alice's Handler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft

My Samsung tab always charges when I use it too. Never been a problem for me, two batteries for my P3 Pro and can go multiple charges on the aircraft batteries before the controller even drops to 2 bars.
2018-8-25
Use props
jackofalltrayds
lvl.1

United States

Al S. Alice's Handler Posted at 2018-8-25 14:01
My Samsung tab always charges when I use it too. Never been a problem for me, two batteries for my P3 Pro and can go multiple charges on the aircraft batteries before the controller even drops to 2 bars.

that's great... for you.  My P4 controller is having the led charge issue and so I get half the use before it starts complaining about low battery.  Haven't been willing to float the solder on the main board yet.  I was hoping someone would come up with the exact location of the problem so I could just use a fine tip solder iron and fix it without the shotgun approach.  Oh well.  Thanks for the comment anyway.
2018-9-10
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

jackofalltrayds Posted at 2018-9-10 07:06
that's great... for you.  My P4 controller is having the led charge issue and so I get half the use before it starts complaining about low battery.  Haven't been willing to float the solder on the main board yet.  I was hoping someone would come up with the exact location of the problem so I could just use a fine tip solder iron and fix it without the shotgun approach.  Oh well.  Thanks for the comment anyway.

Check out my post.....I'm not sure if this will help, but your problem may be similar. I have been using my P4P v2 and mini  4 with this method and it has run without a hitch ever since.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-126700-1-1.html

My Final Results:

2018-9-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i would love for my controller to either charge the Tab S2, Note 3, Note 5 or the Shield K1 but its does not, if it did, i suspect nothing would change for em cuase i charge my controller whenever i charge my batteries
2018-9-10
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

Bashy Posted at 2018-9-10 19:53
i would love for my controller to either charge the Tab S2, Note 3, Note 5 or the Shield K1 but its does not, if it did, i suspect nothing would change for em cuase i charge my controller whenever i charge my batteries

The wear and tear this would put on the RC and Mobile Device would cut their life span in half.  

The proper charger for a device knows when to shutdown (ot trickle) when that unit is charged. The RC does not and continues to try and charge that device, putting alot of stress and possibly damaging both devices.
2018-9-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

ATJ Posted at 2018-9-11 02:44
The wear and tear this would put on the RC and Mobile Device would cut their life span in half.  

The proper charger for a device knows when to shutdown (ot trickle) when that unit is charged. The RC does not and continues to try and charge that device, putting alot of stress and possibly damaging both devices.

mmmmmm sorry but the PHONE or TAB itself is the item that shuts off charge to it ... your wall charger / usb item that charges the phone are just regulated power supplies.

The thread has had two distinct subjects introduced :

can you stop charging of phone / tab when connected to controller. Generally answer is no. Of course some clever person will have worked out how to. But in all fairness - if you charge your phone properly - the drain on controller battery should be minimal .. its part of the reason the controller battery in such as the P3A and P3P is 6000mAh size ...
If a phone or tab is causing that controller battery to go down fast - then I suspect the controller battery is on its last legs !!

Ok ... further into the thread - someone posted they changed from Android to IOS because they couldn't connect ... this could be due to a recent change in GO connectivity (on the P3A / P3P anyway ... dunno about P4) .... if you connect phone / tablet BEFORE all is powered up and ready ... Go often refuses to connect. Solution is to power up everything including phone / tablet ... but do not plug in cable until you both RC and AC connected AND tablet / phone is at desktop unlocked screen. Then as soon as you plug in - it should ask if you want to start GO. VIOLA !!

Nigel
2018-9-11
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-11 08:08
mmmmmm sorry but the PHONE or TAB itself is the item that shuts off charge to it ... your wall charger / usb item that charges the phone are just regulated power supplies.

The thread has had two distinct subjects introduced :

The proper charger for a device.....

Ok, I should have said:
With the proper charger, a device knows when to shutdown (or trickle) when it is charged.
The RC  continues to try and charge that device even though the device has a 100% charge (causing both devices to get excessively HOT), putting stress on and possibly damaging both devices.

You know what they say Nigel "If your not part of the solution......"
2018-9-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

ATJ Posted at 2018-9-11 08:30
The proper charger for a device.....

Ok, I should have said:

If you leave a phone / tab on too long on charger it will get hot ...

The controller is only supplying power through the USN cable in same way that any other USB does ...

Where is this magic shut off of power you imply ? It is only the phone or tablet that has that ability ...

The charger you buy with your phone / tablet is a regulated power supply unit only. It will continue to try to pump out that 5V at xA just the same.

Nigel
2018-9-11
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-11 11:37
If you leave a phone / tab on too long on charger it will get hot ...

The controller is only supplying power through the USN cable in same way that any other USB does ...

This solution works well for me Nigel, let me know if you come up with a better one.
2018-9-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

ATJ Posted at 2018-9-11 14:08
This solution works well for me Nigel, let me know if you come up with a better one.

I have no issue with your modification of the cable .. I'm sure it works great.

My reply is about the so-called clever charger - which does not exist !

Nigel
2018-9-12
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-12 01:50
I have no issue with your modification of the cable .. I'm sure it works great.

My reply is about the so-called clever charger - which does not exist !

I was doing some searching:
I'm sure this is true for most mobile devices.

After LiPo battery of iPad is charged to 80% capacity it switches to trickle charging with a potential to cause plating of metallic lithium, a condition that renders the cells unstable.

Do not overcharge iPad (which the RC does). Overcharging iPad by leaving it charging for the whole night shortens the battery lifespan. Be aware that eventually the controller that normally keeps charging voltage constant after battery reaches 70% of its maximal capacity (thus reducing the charging current) may fail. This is the main reason why overcharging is dangerous.
2018-9-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

But that's true of ALL charging ...

And unless the power supply for charging iPad is a magic machine - having looked at a pals - it appears to be a bog standard wall to USB power supply with an iPad lead .... I would suggest the drop to trickle is instigated by the iPad itself ... as with any other mobile etc.

The voltage will stay constant because of the regulated supply ... but amps will reduce significantly as the battery charge level increases ...

I'm not convinced about chargers being clever ... but then again I don't use girly iPads !!   

Nigel
2018-9-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-14 05:14

But then again I don't use girly iPads !!   

lol.......
2018-9-14
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-14 05:37
solentlife Posted at 2018-9-14 05:14

Then is this post hogwash?

http://thehowto.wikidot.com/prolong-battery-lifespan-for-ipad
2018-9-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

No ... but please show me where in that links wording ... does it say the CHARGER is the item that decides drops to trickle charge ... it doesn't. It says when battery is at xx level the charge is reduced to trickle and because the next section about overcharging specifically mentions the charge controller - which actually is in the iPad itself ... I suggest that the command to reduce to trickle is as I said by the iPad itself.

Second the text also states clearly what I said about CONSTANT VOLTAGE ... and the overcharge if left overnight too long on the charger. It actually says the CONTROLLER can burn out ... and that is in the iPad !! not the charger.

So in fact all I have said is vindicated by the very web site you linked to. It does NOT say the charger is clever in any way.

Please quote the part where you think it does.

Nigel
2018-9-14
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-14 09:46
No ... but please show me where in that links wording ... does it say the CHARGER is the item that decides drops to trickle charge ... it doesn't. It says when battery is at xx level the charge is reduced to trickle and because the next section about overcharging specifically mentions the charge controller - which actually is in the iPad itself ... I suggest that the command to reduce to trickle is as I said by the iPad itself.

Second the text also states clearly what I said about CONSTANT VOLTAGE ... and the overcharge if left overnight too long on the charger. It actually says the CONTROLLER can burn out ... and that is in the iPad !! not the charger.

So this is what your saying:

It's important to use a LiPo compatible charger for LiPo.  LiPo batteries require specialized care. They charge using a system called CC/CV charging. It stands for Constant Current / Constant Voltage. Basically, the charger will keep the current, or charge rate, constant until the battery reaches its peak voltage (4.2v per cell in a battery pack). Then it will maintain that voltage, while reducing the current. On the other hand, NiMH and NiCad batteries charge best using a pulse charging method. Charging a LiPo battery in this way can have damaging effects, so it's important to have a LiPo-compatible charger.

And this is not done by the charger?

2018-9-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

ATJ Posted at 2018-9-14 12:15
So this is what your saying:

It's important to use a LiPo compatible charger for LiPo.  LiPo batteries require specialized care. They charge using a system called CC/CV charging. It stands for Constant Current / Constant Voltage. Basically, the charger will keep the current, or charge rate, constant until the battery reaches its peak voltage (4.2v per cell in a battery pack). Then it will maintain that voltage, while reducing the current. On the other hand, NiMH and NiCad batteries charge best using a pulse charging method. Charging a LiPo battery in this way can have damaging effects, so it's important to have a LiPo-compatible charger.

Why are introducing matters that have no relevance ... not mentioned by anyone else ... have no place here ?

The standard wall charger for mobiles incl iPads etc. is a constant voltage unit with diminishing amps as the battery charges up. Its not the charger that reduces the amps - its the item being charged.

LiPo chargers that are designed specifically for RC work are a different ball game to a $10 wall charger for an iPad ...

The full on LiPo charger has two distinct phases ... CA and CV depending on the level of charge of the cells. But an iPad / mobile charger has only one mode : CV.

That's it ... nothing to do with NiXX or anything else. And is why the pages you linked to about charging - specifically warm against overcharging. You were the one who posted that link thinking it supported your version - where in fact it does not.

The charger for iPad .. Samsung ... Blackberry ... whatever is a simple regulated CV unit. Same as the so-called charger for your DJI Phantom ... a regulated CV power brick.

Simple ... nothing magic about it at all.

Nigel
2018-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules