Take the phantom apart and use the camera standalone?
8598 7 2017-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
unf0rg0tt3n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170971 ft
Netherlands

Hey guys,

Has anyone disasembled the Phantom 3 standard and used the camera and gimba standalone?
I have the mavic now, and love that beast over my older phantom 3.

Also, I don't want to sell it or fly it again.
So I thought; Maybe I can disasemble it and re-use the camera, I can use the other parts for other stuff.

So can I just hook it up to a gimbal controller or something?

Thanks in common.

2017-10-31
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

This is something I have looked at - I have a dead P3S and wanted to see about hooking up the camera to another machine .. a scratchbuild SK450.

I have electronics pals who have built serious gear commercial and hobby - and the view from them - was yes of course it could be done - BUT its working out how and what connections / coding / command set etc.

We gave up ... shame but that's conclusion we came to.

Nigel
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Personally, I don't think the gimbal itself works well alone. Why not buy a new one and take the old as backup?
2017-10-31
Use props
unf0rg0tt3n
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-31 01:43
Personally, I don't think the gimbal itself works well alone. Why not boy a new one and take the old as backup?

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the reply. I don't need a new p3s, my shiny mavic takes over the job.
Since I like to go out a lot, take my drone with me and obviously don't like to carry a big case around I use my mavic which is foldable. I wanted to modify the gimbal because a osmo is really expensive. too expensive for the times I use a handheld gimbal. I have a canon DSLR and like to get something smaller
2017-10-31
Use props
unf0rg0tt3n
lvl.1
Netherlands

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-31 01:09
This is something I have looked at - I have a dead P3S and wanted to see about hooking up the camera to another machine .. a scratchbuild SK450.

I have electronics pals who have built serious gear commercial and hobby - and the view from them - was yes of course it could be done - BUT its working out how and what connections / coding / command set etc.

Damn, really too bad! DJI won't give it away don't they
2017-10-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anything’s possible but some things can prove to be not worth the time and effort, as in your case, I wouldn’t mess with it. Sell it on eBay....
2017-10-31
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

DJI do not manufacture the camera ... so they must have developed an interface to it. So that means anyone with time and knowledge should be able to hack the camera ... as to the gimbal - ??

Nigel
2017-10-31
Use props
istrapano
lvl.1

Croatia

I'm also interested in how to use the camera standalone, 15.05.2019. dji will announce the osmo action, will see what will the camera be capable.
The P4P have the imx183 sony sensor, 1' 20 MP and I found some security usb 3.0 cameras that use the same sensor. Take a look on
http://www.scorpionvision.co.uk/Catalog/Industrial-Cameras/usb3-cameras/hikvision-20mp-1-cmos-usb3-0-camera
2019-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules