How many of you are using prop guards?
1234Next >
15015 132 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

Just want ting see what everyone else is doing as it seems to mixed feelings about them
Single SelectVote, Total 700 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-4-9
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I have snap ons and I will put them on if I am flying indoors.
2015-4-9
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i also have snap on and put them on only when around objects (buildings, trees, people, etc) because you'll be amazed that your craft will bounce off of your house or a tree and keep flying when, without them, it would certainly crash if a prop hit one of those things.  on the other hand, i take them off when flying in open areas like fields and/or when the wind is more than 10mph.  this is what makes snap on/off best because there are scenarios where you REALLY WANT them and scenarios where you REALLY DONT, so avoiding use of a screwdriver on your motors in the field is a huge plus for the versatility of snap ons.
2015-4-9
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Got some, never used them
2015-4-9
Use props
Mike_in_Letcomb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421821 ft
United Kingdom

I use snap-ons too, but only on specific instances (near trees, near people, windy, etc.) i prefer not to use them as they appear in my videos....
2015-4-9
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

Nope.  I saw a video attesting that they cause turbulence that could upset the bird in certain circumstances.
2015-4-9
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

I put the original DJI prop guards on after reading all of the tip-over, ESC and abrupt motor stop issues being posted on this board, before my first flight. I figured the performance would be degraded a bit but if I learned with them on I would only get better performance if I later chose to take them off. I recently was thinking about taking them off and decided to go the snap-on route. I had my first "uncontrolled" crash a few weeks ago and I believe the prop guards may have helped in saving my craft from total destruction. It appeared as though the guards took the brunt of the hit. I also installed a gimbal guard and CF camera guard to help protect that itty-bitty $650 camera. In the crash, three of the prop guards and three of the props were destroyed and I got a bruise or two on the shell. everything else, including the camera survived with no damage. After experiencing an uncontrollable craft crash and as I continued to read about these things taking control of themselves, I've decided to keep them on. I have never put my bird in the air without them and don't know if I ever will. I'd like to but I just don't know that I'll ever be comfortable enough to do so. I'm not advocating either way, to each his own. Just my pennies!

Jerry
2015-4-9
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I used prop guards when I first got my Phantom. They were included with the Phantom as a gift. Once I learned to take-off and land and I added the larger landing legs and DIY skids I removed the guards. I do have snap on adapters for my guards but they scratch the heck out of the paint on the arms when I put them on of off so they never get used.
2015-4-9
Use props
aladrian
lvl.1
Netherlands

New P2 owner here.

I've flown a total of 6 flights thus far with the prop guards on. (except for the first 30 second flight in my back yard)

I'm going to carry the phantom in a backpack and intend to take them off after my next two flights.  Ironically, my only near tip-over was the first flight, without the guards... every other landing has been rock solid. (15 landings or so)

I may 3D print a set of snap-on adapters if I ever do scrub a set of props.

Al...
2015-4-9
Use props
moxy149
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1220797 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I used guards for the first few flights and then stopped as I became more familiar with the bird, but having said that I will use them as and when the area of operation demands..... Better safe then sorry....it all down to common sense 'cos when it's broke it's broke and you can't turn back the clock.  Regards Ian.  Fly safe and have fun.
2015-4-9
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I used guards for a couple of months, after I got used to the controls, they came off.  The owner of the Drive In wants me to fly over the big crowds we get, I told him I'll fly outside the group, but not over them.  It wouldn't be a good place to crash with 400 or more cars below me.
2015-4-9
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Never used them mainly due to the fear that they may induce VRS (Vortex Ring State) from which a Phantom won't recover. Because of where I do a lot of my flying I have to do a lot of vertical take offs and landings which doesn't help.
2015-4-9
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

Second for VRS, happened once when i was learning to fly, and never put them back on.
2015-4-9
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

smee56@gmail.co Posted at 2015-4-10 08:34
Second for VRS, happened once when i was learning to fly, and never put them back on.

VRS can occur with or without prop guards.
2015-4-9
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

I have used mine for every flight and never had anything near a VRS.  I always descend slowly and with some horizontal movement to prevent the dreaded VRS.
2015-4-9
Use props
rod and the che
Second Officer

New Zealand

Never fly without them!
Rod and the Cheshire cat
2015-4-9
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rod and the che Posted at 2015-4-10 08:56
Never fly without them!
Rod and the Cheshire cat

When I finally took mine off, I was like a newbie again shaking like a leaf in the wind for a few flights.
2015-4-9
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Had them on from flight/battery number three (to me a flight is a full battery as I have no intentions of going up for 5 min and coming down until battery is near empty) to about flight/battery number 50 and not been on since though will keep them handy for trips to outlying wooded areas or any area I would fly with any amount of people around...Actually will be getting removeables in the near future....
2015-4-9
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Have never used them.  Never even thought about using them for some reason.  At this point, don't think I would.
2015-4-10
Use props
venkatstarmixin
lvl.1

India

any one Using Prop Guards for inspire 1
2015-4-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

venkatstarmixin Posted at 2015-4-10 22:09

Do they even make prop guards for the Inspire?  I've never seen any advertised.
2015-4-10
Use props
venkatstarmixin
lvl.1

India

ya its correct
But I Want to use pro Guards for inspire 1
Where Can I Get Prop Guards
2015-4-10
Use props
venkatstarmixin
lvl.1

India

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-10 22:12
Do they even make prop guards for the Inspire?  I've never seen any advertised.

ya its correct
2015-4-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

venkatstarmixin Posted at 2015-4-10 22:15
ya its correct

There's nothing advertised on Ebay or the DJI store for prop guards on the Inspire 1.
2015-4-10
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

I use them as I fly around a lot of trees. Now if it crashes into a tree from up above there is more of a chance of it getting hung-up in the tree. I just ordered a set of snap on from "Bestem Aerial" .
2015-4-10
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

I bought a set be never installed them.
2015-4-10
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

SummitLink snap in guards break easily. To date you can't just buy the guards without buying new brackets at any reasonable price.
2015-4-10
Use props
gboivin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the snap on ones and I use them all the time. Never had any flight problems with them. But I don't fly in winds over 15mph. I have the inspire1 for over that. I take lots of pic's around trees so like the adder protection just in case!
2015-4-10
Use props
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

i ordered some bestem ones as well just to see if i like them or not.
2015-4-10
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

I put them on a month after I got my Phantom early December, and have not taken them off since.  Props stay on too.  My case is made for P2V+ with prop guards.
2015-4-10
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

I have snap on guards that I almost never use.   I probably would use them if the situation called for it, lots of obstacles or people around.
2015-4-11
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

I have snap ons and I will put them on if I am flying around people
2015-4-11
Use props
dlcarico98
lvl.1

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-4-10 04:59
I used prop guards when I first got my Phantom. They were included with the Phantom as a gift. Once  ...

Jato,  what kind of DIY landing gear are you using?  I purchased some that snap over the bottom, but not crazy about them.
2015-4-12
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i believe its pretty clear that out of 66 people so far, if 38 of them use prop guards (at least sometimes), we can put to bed the notion that 'prop guards directly cause VRS in a significant way' or else you'd likely have SOME in those 38 that would have noticed it by now.  and as you all know, i believe they can contribute to VRS in high wind conditions but that i am very opposed to the rigid causality theory (like is stated in the infamous sharpie pen prop guard vrs video' :@
2015-4-12
Use props
tom.loader
lvl.1

Canada

I used mine for the first time today and smashed all 4 of them in a major crash!
at first I thought that a prop clipped a guard causing the crash, but on postmortem it appears that an ESC wire broke.
2015-4-12
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

venkatstarmixin Posted at 2015-4-10 22:09

They don't make prop guards for the inspire. Not yet.
2015-5-8
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never used prop guards for my phantom. Just never felt the need.
2015-5-8
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-5-9
Use props
dmbandx
lvl.1

United States

I myself have had a total of three flights for my new Phantom 2 v.2.0: thanks to less-than-stellar instructions (in three different instructions it fails to tell you to use the "click-lock" position to spin down the propellers--I had to learn it for myself!) the first two landings and spin-downs caused tip-overs and caused it to rev back up and skip along the ground. So, I got prop guards, attached, took them out to a soccer field, and thank goodness I did: not only did the unit keel right, but then shot back at me over my head and crashed in a lovely pirouette into the ground, snapping two guards, cracking the other two, breaking one propeller in half and leaving me aghast at what just happened.
Mind you, I've had a Dromida Ominus, which is a twitchy, zippy drone to learn basics on and been flying it for about three months nearly daily, so I understood how to fly. If my P2 hadn't gone bonkers like it did (there was also some wind out there, so that likely had a lot to do with it) and I didn't have the prop guards on, i'd probably be sitting on $650 worth of junk I've flown less than ten minutes. Fortunately other than the propeller, the damage was superficial. One of the arms has a hairline gap between the upper and lower shells, but nothing that would affect the flight.
For now, I'm ordering more guards, and staying out of the wind entirely until I get a hang of it. But man, thank goodness I had them to begin with.
2015-5-10
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

I've never used prop guards but it might not be a bad idea when I'm doing real estate.

Of all the people that have used them only one person mentioned they got in his shot. Is this a common problem? Am I going to see the prop guards?

Also, will P2 prop guards work with the P3?

If I get guards I like the idea of snap on guards. Is there a specific set of guards that people really like? I will never use guards I have to screw on. One of the things I hate about the Inspire is how much longer it takes to set up than the Phantom.
2015-5-10
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules