15009 132 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thomas.kolb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1098940 ft
Sweden

I used them in the beginning, but took them off after a few days:

1)  The act as sails, making the Phantom extremely sensitive for wind (I almost had a flew-away with them on)
2)  They tend to be visible in the footage (more so than the props)
3)  If you fly into a wall or pole, they might help on initial impact, but will not save the gimbal in the following tumble to the ground
4)  If you fly into a tree, the whole drone may get stuck in a branch high up, like an expensive Christmas ornament
5)  You will be able to avoid a tip-over at landing if you refrain from CSC to stop the motors

//Thomas
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If you choose to use propeller guards, please keep in mind that there is a screw length difference compared to the stock screws for the motors in order to compensate for the extra plastic. If you choose to get them and decide to take them off, you must put the original screws back in. Leaving the longer screws in without the prop guards will cause motor damage that is not covered under the warranty.
2016-5-16
Use props
pvb.samuel
lvl.2

Portugal

I tried once... But the drone dont cant lock is position with the prop guards...
Now i just use them when i'm flying around threes or even at home
2016-5-16
Use props
patrickhaering
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160614 ft
Canada

My phantom came with slip on guards. It made sense to use them and I do. I had to make slight modification to the case, but they fit well.
I do get the guards showing up in the video occasionally. But I figure the props would probably show up too or you might think that the shot was good but find out later the props were in it.
A few people say they hand catch. It seems that guards would be really important when you're close to the aircraft.
2016-6-24
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Which Phantom are you referring to? The P4 guards are awesome easy to use but they disable the forward avoidance system when installed.
2016-6-26
Use props
gosports1
lvl.2

United States

I use Prop Guards on my Phantom 3 Pro. I have about 4 different ( color Set's )
I found out that I like Red or Orange colors on the front, when I am flying off in the distance and keeping it in line of site.
It also help's me taking  single Photo's , that I can see which way  the Gimbal is facing . I have a hard time using my I-Pad Screen because of the glare
2016-7-15
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 351575 ft
United States

i don't know if i can give the prop guards the credit, but my drone survived a 30 or so foot fall (amazingly!) after being flown into some trees by my brother (he was the last one to TOUCH my drone other than me. no one will ever again touch my drone, but me.). It landed upside down with 3 smashed prop guards (snap on) and a slightly chipped propellor. Everything works fine. the camera and gimbal work, it flies fine, i replaced the broken props. It didn't even leave a scratch. Yet a collision with a lawn chair from 4 feet up left a black scuff!
2016-7-28
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

I always use prop guards for all the reasons I can't think of.

I've heard stories about vortexes and vibrations and interfering with the camera image.  I've never had an issue with any of these things.

I have found that if you know how to fly and make some simple adjustments, none of this is an issue.
2016-9-8
Use props
zekers
New

United States

If you need to use pro guards you are probably flying in places you shouldn't be flying or in a manner that exceeds your ability. That's my opinion and I know others will disagree.
2017-7-9
Use props
BigBird2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-9 15:07
I used guards for a couple of months, after I got used to the controls, they came off.  The owner of the Drive In wants me to fly over the big crowds we get, I told him I'll fly outside the group, but not over them.  It wouldn't be a good place to crash with 400 or more cars below me.

As in Drive In  theater ?  Haven't seen on of those in ages.
2018-3-2
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4
United States

If you need prop guards on a DJI, you are either doing some very close-quarters flying, or you shouldn't be flying a drone.
2018-3-2
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I this one of the longest living threads on the forum? Good to see that people check before starting new threads (yep I'm guilty of that).

I bought a set of guards after P3P getting up close with a pine tree but P3 won't fit in the carry case if they are on.
2018-3-2
Use props
Mickus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 601677 ft
United States

icemanfred Posted at 2015-5-29 13:55
regarding props guards.
does anyone use the thread?
I installed the guards. later I was trying to figure the best way to add the thread.

Thats the way I did it,
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules