Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Self Diagnostic taking a long time on startup
12Next >
9939 47 2017-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13655 ft

Australia

Hi Everyone,

Have had my P3S for about 3 weeks now and have flown successfully a number of times. Then the other day it seemed to take a long time in startup 'self diagnostic' mode (with the Red Yellow Green ... Red Yellow Green... and a beep beep .... beep beep ..... beep beep coming from the 'copter) for over 10 mins. The RC connects fine, the DJI app connects fine, the video feed comes through fine onto the iPhone, but it won't engage the rotors or start up becuase it is still in 'self diagnostic mode'. Any clues?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

2017-10-31
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

Have you calibrated the IMU lately? might help..do it when when the bird has been turned off for a while.(cold calibration).
2017-10-31
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I would suggest you think about calibrating the IMU. It is what the aircraft is doing during the warm up period. The IMU needs to get to the temperature it was originally calibrated to.
It is a simple procedure and only requires the aircraft to be sitting on a level surface and you cannot move it during the calibration. You do this within the Go app and it takes anywhere from 5- 10 minutes to complete.

Now, to shorten your warm-up time, it is recommended to do this procedure on an aircraft that has been cooled off to a lower temperature than normal room temperature. You  can Google this to get a better understanding of why to do this, but normally you put your phantom in front of an air conditioner, set it in a refrigerator, or leave it outside if the temperature is cooler, and leave it for 20 minutes or so. Have a fully charged battery ready, and after it has cooled down, start the IMU calibration and let it finish. Normally this procedure will decrease your warm-up time considerably, to almost to only a few seconds. A lot of us have done this and had good results. I have done this on many aircraft and I always have seen improvements for start up times. I think this would be the first thing to try. Good luck.
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the replies above, please shut the drone down for cooling for about half an hour, then start up the drone and apply an IMU calibration. Here's the route: connect the RC and drone and your app--GO FLY--upper right icon--Main Controller Settings--Advance Settings--IMU calibration.
You can restart the drone again after it finishes. Hope it helps.
2017-10-31
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

PowerBand1 Posted at 2017-10-31 04:19
Have you calibrated the IMU lately? might help..do it when when the bird has been turned off for a while.(cold calibration).

Many thanks ... yes, have done that in a cold state
2017-11-3
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-10-31 04:30
I would suggest you think about calibrating the IMU. It is what the aircraft is doing during the warm up period. The IMU needs to get to the temperature it was originally calibrated to.
It is a simple procedure and only requires the aircraft to be sitting on a level surface and you cannot move it during the calibration. You do this within the Go app and it takes anywhere from 5- 10 minutes to complete.

Many thanks. Have done this and had a successful connection and it stopped the beep beep... (yay!) and seemed like it was ready to fly. Needed a compass calibration then, which failed. I understand that this often happens so I tried the compass calibration a few times by moving around and then doing it again.

Then I turned everything off (coptor, rc and phone) and restarted, and then seemed to be back to square one again since it started the R Y G  and beep beep ... beep beep ... again. And wouldn't let me do anything.

Any more thoughts?
2017-11-3
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-31 04:46
Thanks for the replies above, please shut the drone down for cooling for about half an hour, then start up the drone and apply an IMU calibration. Here's the route: connect the RC and drone and your app--GO FLY--upper right icon--Main Controller Settings--Advance Settings--IMU calibration.

Many thanks DJI Thor. Did that - as described on this thread, then was successful in connecting and then had to do a compass calibration. This failed. I turned everything off again and back on. And seems I am now back at square one with the R Y G and beep beep ... . Tried turning everything off and back on again a couple of times but now it will only do the R Y G and beep beep. ...  Very frustrating.
2017-11-3
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-3 21:36
Many thanks DJI Thor. Did that - as described on this thread, then was successful in connecting and then had to do a compass calibration. This failed. I turned everything off again and back on. And seems I am now back at square one with the R Y G and beep beep ... . Tried turning everything off and back on again a couple of times but now it will only do the R Y G and beep beep. ...  Very frustrating.

Also, when it was successful in getting out of self-diagnostic mode for those brief few glorious minutes, it was constantly saying 'Atti mode' , 'Atti mode'. I assumed that this was because I needed to calibrate the compass. I could not, during this time, get the rotors to spin up in a Combination Stick Move or anything.

I understand compass calibration can be a bit finicky also, but I was in the middle of a football field at the time, so I would have thought that should be a good spot. Any thoughts on that too would also be helpful.

Many thanks in advance once again.

Nathan
2017-11-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-3 21:41
Also, when it was successful in getting out of self-diagnostic mode for those brief few glorious minutes, it was constantly saying 'Atti mode' , 'Atti mode'. I assumed that this was because I needed to calibrate the compass. I could not, during this time, get the rotors to spin up in a Combination Stick Move or anything.

I understand compass calibration can be a bit finicky also, but I was in the middle of a football field at the time, so I would have thought that should be a good spot. Any thoughts on that too would also be helpful.

It is a bit late to say this now, but you should not have performed the compass calibration. Despite all the rubbish on forums, you do not need to calibrate the compass at every flying location. In fact DJI now say in thje manual to only perform the calibration when the Go App asks you to.

BTW, football fields can have burried metal pipes used for watering the field, so it is not a good place to do the compass calibration at all. Go and perform it again on some grass that is nowhere near any buried pipes or anything, then once it calibrates, leave it alone.

As to the thing about ATTI mode, make sure the mode switch is in the P position.

2017-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Could also remove any ferrous metal like keys and coins, from your pockets before the compass calibration is done.

The compass is very sensitive to magnetic metal and electrical interference.
Even a heavy zipper on your jacket could negatively affect this procedure.

I chill my drone down, by placing in the first free fridge for 15 min. Before doing the IMU calibration.Just before I'm ready to start the procedure, I put the app on the IMU page and then remove the drone from the cold storage.
Hit the button and start the IMU calibration. As soon as it ends, I do the gimbal calibration...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-4
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-4 01:13
Could also remove any ferrous metal like keys and coins, from your pockets before the compass calibration is done.

The compass is very sensitive to magnetic metal and electrical interference.

ok  so you think do the IMU calibration again and maybe we are good to go? will have to do the compass since the app is asking nw.
2017-11-4
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

Just a thought but I would not recommend putting your drone in a refrigerator then bringing it out to calibrate.
If the air is humid the drone will be covered in moisture for the same reason a cold drink glass sweats in the summer, physics.
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CabinPete Posted at 2017-11-4 04:46
Just a thought but I would not recommend putting your drone in a refrigerator then bringing it out to calibrate.
If the air is humid the drone will be covered in moisture for the same reason a cold drink glass sweats in the summer, physics.

No, it's dry up here, I don't live in a Rain Forest. But Edmonton Alberta. Haha

That's also why we use a frost free fridge, no moisture. Condensation usually happens on a cold glass, with cold liquid inside. My drone is dry, going in and dry after my calibrations.

Don't fret it, you can just set your drone outside for twenty minutes in the cool evening as well.
The refrigerator trick is just something several of us have done. Alternatively, you could set your drone, with battery removed in front of your air conditioner to chill it down good too.
Hey there are numerous methods, and we don't write these suggestions in granite. Ha

It's alright to baby your drone, but some here fly in the clouds, fog, mist, even light rain. So...
Not going to argue science with you, nor chemistry or physics.
But calculus and trigonometry . Look out!! Hahaha
Astro physics is fun though. Looking up. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-11-4
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-4 09:02
No, it's dry up here, I don't live in a Rain Forest. But Edmonton Alberta. Haha

That's also why we use a frost free fridge, no moisture. Condensation usually happens on a cold glass, with cold liquid inside. My drone is dry, going in and dry after my calibrations.

Well the actual reason is: warm always goes to cold. Warm air holds moisture, when the warm most air comes in contact with a cold drink inside a glass the heat will enter but the moisture can't penetrate the glass so it collects outside the glass. If your drone is chilled and brought into a warmer environment the warm air will be drawn  to the cooler drone, the heat will transfer but the moisture in the air can't so your drone will sweat.
It's how a dehumidifier works, the AC in your auto (warm moist air in contact with the evaporator, moisture pulled out drains out under your vehicle)
The dryer the area you live the less it would be noticed.
It's just not good advice to put a drone in a refrigerator.
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CabinPete Posted at 2017-11-4 10:21
Well the actual reason is: warm always goes to cold. Warm air holds moisture, when the warm most air comes in contact with a cold drink inside a glass the heat will enter but the moisture can't penetrate the glass so it collects outside the glass. If your drone is chilled and brought into a warmer environment the warm air will be drawn  to the cooler drone, the heat will transfer but the moisture in the air can't so your drone will sweat.
It's how a dehumidifier works, the AC in your auto (warm moist air in contact with the evaporator, moisture pulled out drains out under your vehicle)
The dryer the area you live the less it would be noticed.

Yes, isn't chemistry and science marvelous that we know this? ;-)

Anyway, it's not enough moisture to matter. And it evaporated faster than the time it takes to do any harm. Thankfully it's pretty much salt free up here as well. Except what they spread on the winter roadways to melt the ice.
I always place the chilled drone on the floor, to do my cold drone IMU and gimbal calibrations. It's cooler down there, and I leave a large balcony window open, near it so cooler air is constantly passing over it. Yes, Passover!! ;-)
Thanks for your smart and wise info. It's good to know. But don't worry about my drone...
It's my Align TRex 700E DFC HV that I am way more concerned about.  ;-)
Have a great day, go flying... And happy landings, always.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-4
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-4 11:59
Yes, isn't chemistry and science marvelous that we know this? ;-)

Anyway, it's not enough moisture to matter. And it evaporated faster than the time it takes to do any harm. Thankfully it's pretty much salt free up here as well. Except what they spread on the winter roadways to melt the ice.

THanks for all the advice. Trying the refrigerator test now. I'm from Queensland, Australia and at the moment we are looking at 28C max days in early summer. We will get up to 35-38 easily before summer is out. Will let you know how I go on the IMU re-calib and see if that fixes things.

Will definitely need to do a compass recalib as well. Talk more soon.
2017-11-4
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-31 04:46

Ok. Have done this but doesn't seem to help. Still R Y G and beep beep ... for ever. Any other suggestions? Many thanks in advance.
2017-11-4
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-4 20:00
Ok. Have done this but doesn't seem to help. Still R Y G and beep beep ... for ever. Any other suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Also, the compass calibration is a B*&^H! It doesn't successfully calibrate anywhere!
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-4 20:00

Ah, dang it. I had high hopes for you. This method of chilling the drone before calibration of IMU and gimbal have not only reduced warm up times, buy also helped many with a crooked horizon, fix it.

I don't know what else to suggest. Other than going back one firmware version. Not that this is a best fix.

Waiting for another update, can be a long frustrating process, but might be the only answer, for now.
But that's only my thoughts, and others might have more ideas, that may be beneficial.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-4 20:39
Also, the compass calibration is a B*&^H! It doesn't successfully calibrate anywhere!

For a proper compass calibration, you need to make sure there are no ferrous metals nearby, nor any electrical interference.

Aside from that, your zippers, pocket change and sets of keys in your pocket, might trigger a poor calibration. All though, if you are currently experiencing other malfunctioning parameters, it's possible that those are indeed creating further problems. They all work in coordination of each one.

I wish there was a universal fix for all this stuff, and a new firmware release may be just that.
Time will tell, if nothing else works before that day. I check the DJI firmware update page nearly everyday, as well the  Apple App Store for new Go versions. Even though to date, my Phantom 3 Pro has been completely trouble free, other than my own malfunctioning pilot skills. Ha
I will continue to try and help you get through this, until the end. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-4
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-4 20:48
Ah, dang it. I had high hopes for you. This method of chilling the drone before calibration of IMU and gimbal have not only reduced warm up times, buy also helped many with a crooked horizon, fix it.

I don't know what else to suggest. Other than going back one firmware version. Not that this is a best fix.

OK. That's not good. Can you point me to where there are instructions on this?
2017-11-4
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-4 20:56
For a proper compass calibration, you need to make sure there are no ferrous metals nearby, nor any electrical interference.

Aside from that, your zippers, pocket change and sets of keys in your pocket, might trigger a poor calibration. All though, if you are currently experiencing other malfunctioning parameters, it's possible that those are indeed creating further problems. They all work in coordination of each one.

Thanks RHP. Had nothing metal on me when doing the calibration at all. I realise that these things work together. Currently have a drone that doesn't fly at all :-(
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-4 23:30
OK. That's not good. Can you point me to where there are instructions on this?

You basically load the older firmware the same as updating.  
Depending on your model, the method may vary.

For me, with a Phantom 3 Pro, the firmware bin file is placed on the micro sd card, and placed in the drone, turn it on, and it is automatic.
With your Standard, it should be the same procedure. I have never had to reverse my firmware, so have not done it myself.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-4 23:33
Thanks RHP. Had nothing metal on me when doing the calibration at all. I realise that these things work together. Currently have a drone that doesn't fly at all :-(

This won't last for long. There will be a fix soon, I would imagine.
Even though the frequency for Phantom 3 updates have slowed down, this will have to be addressed.
They are still selling the Standard, so DJI had best continue to support it.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-5
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-4 20:39

Well I don't know why it won't calibrate the compass. You mentioned only having your P3S for 3-weeks. Are you able to send it back or exchange it or are you out of the warranty period?
I understand you are frustrated. Been there too!
First off, the cold IMU in the fridge is perfectly ok. I have done it over 10 times with different aircraft. The cooling only shortens the time to warm-up. That's it. It doesn't make any better or worse. If nothing else just do a normal IMU calibration. It has always been my personal experience to calibrate the compass always after an IMU calibration. Are you preforming the calibration according to procedure? Out in open area, hit calibrate icon in your app, then rotate the aircraft until the lights turn green, then rotate the aircraft 90 degree down holding the landing gear......your aircraft should have the camera pointing to the ground now, then rotate until the light turn green again. My apologies if you are already doing this correctly. Just trying to help. If it will not calibrate, you may have to send it in. I would also recommend formatting you sd-card before you even try doing the IMU again. Try it with the card empty. let us know.
2017-11-5
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-11-5 11:03
Well I don't know why it won't calibrate the compass. You mentioned only having your P3S for 3-weeks. Are you able to send it back or exchange it or are you out of the warranty period?
I understand you are frustrated. Been there too!
First off, the cold IMU in the fridge is perfectly ok. I have done it over 10 times with different aircraft. The cooling only shortens the time to warm-up. That's it. It doesn't make any better or worse. If nothing else just do a normal IMU calibration. It has always been my personal experience to calibrate the compass always after an IMU calibration. Are you preforming the calibration according to procedure? Out in open area, hit calibrate icon in your app, then rotate the aircraft until the lights turn green, then rotate the aircraft 90 degree down holding the landing gear......your aircraft should have the camera pointing to the ground now, then rotate until the light turn green again. My apologies if you are already doing this correctly. Just trying to help. If it will not calibrate, you may have to send it in. I would also recommend formatting you sd-card before you even try doing the IMU again. Try it with the card empty. let us know.

Thanks again RicardoGray. Yes, doing it as per your description, but when the vertical part of the procedure completes, it flashes red quickly, indicating that it failed.

I don't understand why it connects and 'warms up' ok the first time just fine, but then won't a second time. I'm hoping that a successful compass calb might help. I'm tempted to send it in because then I can hold them to fixing it. I rang support the other day but they were not very helpful and have not yet told me where to send it.
2017-11-5
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-5 00:41
You basically load the older firmware the same as updating.  
Depending on your model, the method may vary.

Ok. THanks. Do you have a link to the firmware upgrade page?
2017-11-5
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-5 14:10

Is it this: https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads
2017-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, but I only see the current version there, which is 1.09.0200
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... V01.09.0200.bin.zip

Not sure why the previous versions were removed.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-5
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-5 14:10

I don't get it either, but you might try RedHotPoker's link, and just attempt to upgrade with the latest firmware. If you are on the latest, I don't think you will have much luck trying to install an older version of firmware. But don't take my word for it. Give it a try I guess. At any rate maybe something went haywire and a re-install of whatever version might help. If that all fails, I would seriously consider sending it in. And one point I would suggest..........
If you do send it in and get a different aircraft back, even if it says upgrade needed, ignore the message at least until you fly it. You are only being prompted to upgrade and it will not prevent you from flying, no matter what version is on it. A lot of thoughts on why to upgrade or not, and I am not going to suggest either way, but many people feel they don't have a choice and get in trouble if the upgrade fails for whatever reason, not all mind you, but a least have fun flying it for a while.
Sorry for your troubles. Hang in there!
2017-11-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

When you do the compassa calibration, it is often necessary to rotate a bit more than the 360 degrees it mentions, otherwise it will not work. Try this and see if it helps. Oh, and don't rotate too quickly.
2017-11-5
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-5 18:52
When you do the compassa calibration, it is often necessary to rotate a bit more than the 360 degrees it mentions, otherwise it will not work. Try this and see if it helps. Oh, and don't rotate too quickly.

Thanks Geebax. Have tried that also. Frustration!  I just wanna fly :-)
2017-11-5
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-5 14:40
Yes, but I only see the current version there, which is 1.09.0200
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... V01.09.0200.bin.zip

Ok. Firmware upgrade results below. Sounds like a success:
[00012108]
========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
[00012299]Packet: P3C_FW_V01.07.0800.bin [00012398]
[00028511]Upgrading ...
[00226108]
========== 2017.10.14 12:24:11 =====================
[00226208]Packet: P3C_FW_V99.99.9999.bin [00226306]
[00240030]Upgrading ...
[00668277]Result: Success.
[00012108]
[00012210]Packet: P3C_FW_V01.09.0200.bin [00012304]
[00020729]Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.
2017-11-6
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-6 00:32
Ok. Firmware upgrade results below. Sounds like a success:
[00012108]

But sadly no change in the RYG RYG beep beep ... beep beep...
2017-11-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-6 01:08
But sadly no change in the RYG RYG beep beep ... beep beep...

Stumped and frustrated.

It might take a newer firmware to fix.

Have You tried to delete and reestablish the app?
If you do, make sure to delete the Internet cache and cookies first, reboot your device and reload the app. If that doesn'tt work, or if you have done this already. Well, I don't know what more to suggest at this time. Sorry about that.  

RedHotPoker
2017-11-6
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-6 10:47
Stumped and frustrated.

It might take a newer firmware to fix.

Yes. Have tried that too. Thanks so much for your help - really appreciate you sticking with me. V frustrating though. When I get a solution I will definitely post back here with what I find.
2017-11-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-7 01:45
Yes. Have tried that too. Thanks so much for your help - really appreciate you sticking with me. V frustrating though. When I get a solution I will definitely post back here with what I find.

If all else has failed, it can only be a waiting game now.
I'm wondering when DJI will address this concern, and release a firmware fix?

It must be in the woks by now, hopefully the release date will arrive upon us soon.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-7
Use props
fansdb515c4e
lvl.1

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-7 14:25
If all else has failed, it can only be a waiting game now.
I'm wondering when DJI will address this concern, and release a firmware fix?

I contacted DJI Support and will need to send it in. They suspect a faulty compass. Will update everyone when I know more ( and the co$t).
2017-11-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-7 22:55
I contacted DJI Support and will need to send it in. They suspect a faulty compass. Will update everyone when I know more ( and the co$t).

Ok, good for you. Saves the headache of waiting on a firmware update.
Which by the way, may not have worked for your fix.  Hope the turn around time is minimal.

Thanks for the update.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fansdb515c4e Posted at 2017-11-7 22:55

Sorry for the late reply, after going through what you had done, I also think you might need to send it in and we will apply an overall check for it? You can also contact support@dji.com and they will help to guide you to send.
2017-11-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules