Help a newb,How do I record in a lower quality(?) really screwed up.
2517 26 2017-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ak2280101
lvl.1
United States

Hi guys, fairly new to the forum so I apologize if I say or ask I something stupid.

I was shooting a neighborhood yesterday (Phantom 4 with newest updates), beautiful houses and scenery. I spent about 1.5hrs there, only to find to my shock and disbelief that when I plugged in my SD card into the computer, the only footage saved was the last 4 videos I shot at the end of my session. The other 20+, all gone.

When I checked the 4 videos that were left on the SD card, one video which was only 2 minutes long, to my astonishment was over 1gig. My whole SD card is only 16gigs, so what I believe happened was the app somehow kept overwriting the SD card as I used up the space. I know its usually supposed to prompt a message of "Card Full", as it has done that to me before, but I cant come up with any other explanation as to why this happened.

I am planning on going out again this week and re-shooting everything, as its a project. But a) I want to make sure I dont lose everything again, and b) I want to shoot in a quality where 2 minutes isnt 1+gigs of space. All I care about is 30fps and 1080p, whats the best setting for that?

Thanks guys!

2017-10-31
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

What is the capacity of the card you are using?
2017-10-31
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sorry, I just reread and saw what I asked.
Try a 32 or 64
2017-10-31
Use props
ak2280101
lvl.1
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-31 07:26
Sorry, I just reread and saw what I asked.
Try a 32 or 64

Thanks, Ive thought about that as well, but if I keep the settings, even at 32 or 64 it wont be enough. If I currently use up 1 gig for every 2 minutes of video, that means that even a 64gig SD card will only last me for 25-30 minutes of footage?
2017-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can set different framerates and resolutions in the app.
This will give you smaller files.
I would for sure make some testvideo's at home with the various settings.
To make sure you won't loose another day of flying by ending up with footage that is not as good as you expect.
2017-10-31
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You can get a much bigger sd card.  I'm using a 64 gig.  I know some on here have reported using even bigger with no issues.  You can also change settings to 1080.  Or, you could also get the video off your device, though that is only 720p.
2017-10-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ak2280101 Posted at 2017-10-31 07:45
Thanks, Ive thought about that as well, but if I keep the settings, even at 32 or 64 it wont be enough. If I currently use up 1 gig for every 2 minutes of video, that means that even a 64gig SD card will only last me for 25-30 minutes of footage?

'that means that even a 64gig SD card will only last me for 25-30 minutes of footage?'

You can only fly for less than 20 minutes on a single battery anyway, so when you land to change batteries, change the card for an empty one.
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

You can change the video size in camera settings. To ensue the quality of video, I advise to buy another recommended bigger SD card.
2017-10-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-31 19:08
You can change the video size in camera settings. To ensue the quality of video, I advise to buy another recommended bigger SD card.

I use 32GB UHS1 cards, reason being, you will not fill the card filming in 4K during the flight time of 1 battery, when you change battery change the SD card, another benefit of this is if something happens during your flight and you loose the bird you will at least have the previous flights videos/photos as a fond memory.
2017-10-31
Use props
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

Slight to the north east of the highlighted "m" is the button you want to click to change your resolution. From the sounds of it, you will want to film in 1080p. Also once you select your footage there is a timer on the screen that shows you your estimated film time.
image.jpeg
2017-11-1
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

Here's he pic
image.jpeg
2017-11-1
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

Here's he pic
image.jpeg
2017-11-1
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

Stupid phone......
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

QuadKid Posted at 2017-10-31 22:45
I use 32GB UHS1 cards, reason being, you will not fill the card filming in 4K during the flight time of 1 battery, when you change battery change the SD card, another benefit of this is if something happens during your flight and you loose the bird you will at least have the previous flights videos/photos as a fond memory.

A nice tip. It's a good habit to prepare for the bad things all the time. Good luck!
2017-11-1
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-31 19:08

+1. Cards are cheap compared to the P4P.
2017-11-1
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-10-31 22:45

I have experienced the lost aircraft with my sd-card and yes it sucks. I know of those who just keep adding files to the card, but I have always practiced saving my files to my PC after every time out. I was lucky to only loose the video I shot on that one flight.

As far as shooting in 4K, yes those files are huge and I have to ask why do you need to do that? It is nice for some short clips, but quite honestly 2.7K is still too much for me. I shoot in 1080P, and my videos are just as sharp as some I have seen in 4K. Now I'm sure some will argue that it is not possible, but I am not a photographer either. I'm talking for most PC's and TV, it will look just fine. The other thing is 4K or even 2K will take a lot of processing from your PC if you are going to edit. Anyway, just a suggestion, but just because you can shoot in 4K, doesn't mean you are stuck with that. Roll it back and you will find you have much smaller files and they will look just as good as the 4K stuff.

And to the point of sd-cards........yes they are much cheaper now for the most part, and it's not a bad idea to have a couple extras.
Have fun.
2017-11-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-11-1 04:25
I have experienced the lost aircraft with my sd-card and yes it sucks. I know of those who just keep adding files to the card, but I have always practiced saving my files to my PC after every time out. I was lucky to only loose the video I shot on that one flight.

As far as shooting in 4K, yes those files are huge and I have to ask why do you need to do that? It is nice for some short clips, but quite honestly 2.7K is still too much for me. I shoot in 1080P, and my videos are just as sharp as some I have seen in 4K. Now I'm sure some will argue that it is not possible, but I am not a photographer either. I'm talking for most PC's and TV, it will look just fine. The other thing is 4K or even 2K will take a lot of processing from your PC if you are going to edit. Anyway, just a suggestion, but just because you can shoot in 4K, doesn't mean you are stuck with that. Roll it back and you will find you have much smaller files and they will look just as good as the 4K stuff.

Well if your PC can handle the processing power & RAM required to edit 4K there is a huge difference compared to 1080p. You can crop and zoom into 4K photo/videos  and maintain quality, if you do that with 1080p video you get a lot of grain and pixilation, it all depends what your using the data for, everyday viewing 1080p is fine.
I shoot everything in 4K and convert to whatever resolution I want from there, down converting compresses the data and the end result IE: 4K to 1080p MP4 is outstanding.
2017-11-1
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I know I will be shooting a lot of footage, I bring my laptop and transfer the data from the SD card to my laptop between battery changes. I have 2 64G cards and 1 32G and 1 16g. I have a P4P, P3P and also use an Inspire 1. I keep one drone in the air at all times during an event, replacing SD cards and transferring data to my CP.
2017-11-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shooting 720p another option. 16 gb really isn't much space at all and you're def not going enough space for that amount of time. Most def go for 64 gb sd and record with plenty of ease. Pretty inexpensive on Amazon.
2017-11-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

"I believe happened was the app somehow kept overwriting the SD card"

Your statement appears to be what happened.
2017-11-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-11-1 05:40
When I know I will be shooting a lot of footage, I bring my laptop and transfer the data from the SD card to my laptop between battery changes. I have 2 64G cards and 1 32G and 1 16g. I have a P4P, P3P and also use an Inspire 1. I keep one drone in the air at all times during an event, replacing SD cards and transferring data to my CP.

Great idea while waiting for battery charge up.
2017-11-1
Use props
ak2280101
lvl.1
United States

Just want to thank everyone for the replies. A lot of good comments and ideas I will incorporate. Just got a 64gig SD and will lower my settings to 1080p.

Thanks guys, great community!
2017-11-1
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-1 05:35
Well if your PC can handle the processing power & RAM required to edit 4K there is a huge difference compared to 1080p. You can crop and zoom into 4K photo/videos  and maintain quality, if you do that with 1080p video you get a lot of grain and pixilation, it all depends what your using the data for, everyday viewing 1080p is fine.
I shoot everything in 4K and convert to whatever resolution I want from there, down converting compresses the data and the end result IE: 4K to 1080p MP4 is outstanding.

I totally understand your point. I was just saying that if you don't want to fool with the editing, the 1080P will produce good video. You are right the 4K is definitely better quality. I should not have said there is no difference, but hope you understand what my point was.
2017-11-1
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-11-1 05:40

You, my man, have a great plan as far as I am concerned! I am with you 100%.
2017-11-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-11-1 06:28
I totally understand your point. I was just saying that if you don't want to fool with the editing, the 1080P will produce good video. You are right the 4K is definitely better quality. I should not have said there is no difference, but hope you understand what my point was.

Absolutely, 1080p is still HD Quality and is easy to manipulate.
2017-11-1
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-11-1 06:29
You, my man, have a great plan as far as I am concerned! I am with you 100%.

Tanx man. Take a good look at my avatar pic. You don't to look this way lest you took 14 yrs to complete  the 4 yr life's course in the school of hard knocks. At 60 I can now figure things out and have a bunch of fun.
2017-11-1
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-11-1 15:46
Tanx man. Take a good look at my avatar pic. You don't to look this way lest you took 14 yrs to complete  the 4 yr life's course in the school of hard knocks. At 60 I can now figure things out and have a bunch of fun.

Hey I've got you beat at least as far as age. I turned 65 years old 6-months ago, and I am having the time of my life with these phantoms. Only been doing that for a little over 2-years, but it is like I'm a kid again.
I know a little about the hard-knocks too! LOL
I had my own business when I was younger and was an engine builder for stock car and drag racing teams in my area for 25 years. Wasn't all fun and games either.

As far as your looks, I think you look like a guy that knows what he wants. Yeah, us old folks (no offense I hope) can often have a little more appreciation for how things work and what it takes to get here. Not taking anything away from all the younger ones. I enjoy your comments on the forum and feel you are one to offer good information. Keep at it, I intend on it too.
2017-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules