Spark palm launch side drift after updating firmware
1366 21 2017-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Séa
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488816 ft
Indonesia

After updating my Spark to ver .701 my Spark always launch with a slight drift either to the left or right using the palm launch (which was fine before I updated it, managed to launch straight up everytime using the palm launch), already calibrated the IMU but to no avail. it launched perfectly straight up when using the normal launch mode (via RC where you have to slide to launch). How can I fix this?

2017-10-31
Use props
Arcie
lvl.1
United States

this been happening to be before any updates! its all matters to how it was positioned on your hand!
2017-10-31
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

Arcie Posted at 2017-10-31 21:53
this been happening to be before any updates! its all matters to how it was positioned on your hand!

it's position straight and level on my hand, still took off to the side
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please also try to calibrate the compass. Please avoid magnetic interference when calibrating the compass, and also need to calibrate the IMU on a level surface. If it doesn't work, would you mind providing us the controlling procedure and the export the flight data from your drone, upload to Dropbox and send the link to us? We would like to check.
2017-10-31
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-31 23:51
Please also try to calibrate the compass. Please avoid magnetic interference when calibrating the compass, and also need to calibrate the IMU on a level surface. If it doesn't work, would you mind providing us the controlling procedure and the export the flight data from your drone, upload to Dropbox and send the link to us? We would like to check.

in this video that Ty demonstrated, I can clearly see that the Spark also slightly launched to the side. maybe Spark may occasionally do this when using the palm launch? I did try to calibrate the compass, and I did calibrate the IMU on a level surface. I have managed to launch it straight up maybe around 3 or 4 times (out of around 15 times attempt) in a random succession, no wind. Oh well, thanks for the help.
2017-11-1
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

I'm not a scientist, and don't play one on tv... (LOL)...

But it would seem that the science of blade propulsion is relative to the resistance that is provided by the surface under the blades.  If that surface is even (and motors and blades are all working properly and in good condition), I would expect the Spark to rise up reasonably straight.  If the surface area under the props is uneven, I could see that impacting its vertical trajectory.

In thinking about that, I would actually expect the Spark to fly slightly away from you, as the area under the props where your wrist is would be unequal to the other areas around the props.

I have no idea if that is true or not, but seems reasonable.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2017-11-1
Use props
SpiderPilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149144 ft
United States

Séa Posted at 2017-10-31 22:00
it's position straight and level on my hand, still took off to the side

I have been frustrated at this exact same behavior. It then requires you to move to do a selfie. Mine always drifts about 2 feet to my left. I have experimented with less wind and more wind and it always drifts. Positioning of the hand doesn't seem to matter.
2017-11-1
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2017-11-1 05:45
I'm not a scientist, and don't play one on tv... (LOL)...

But it would seem that the science of blade propulsion is relative to the resistance that is provided by the surface under the blades.  If that surface is even (and motors and blades are all working properly and in good condition), I would expect the Spark to rise up reasonably straight.  If the surface area under the props is uneven, I could see that impacting its vertical trajectory.

Yes, I'm aware of this logic that you stated. I always make sure the Spark straight and level on my hand. this never happened before the .701 update. it's always launch straight up
2017-11-1
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

SpiderPilot Posted at 2017-11-1 05:47
I have been frustrated at this exact same behavior. It then requires you to move to do a selfie. Mine always drifts about 2 feet to my left. I have experimented with less wind and more wind and it always drifts. Positioning of the hand doesn't seem to matter.

When did you start experiencing this behavior on your Spark? for me, it started just after I updated my Spark firmware to .701 (it's always straight up when I do the palm launch before update)
2017-11-1
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

I have seen this problem on YouTube, was watching about Spark's mandatory update, and this guy said his Spark always drifting to the side when doing the palm launch after the mandatory update, as he demonstrated it on the video. unfortunately I didn't remember the video's title, the main thing that the guy wanted to cover is about the mandatory update, he mentioned about this palm launch drift problem occurs after the update in a small portion of his video. The strange thing is, I own the Spark just recently (October 15th) and of course I must update the Spark to the mandatory firmware in order to be able to fly it, so I updated it, but didn't have any problem with the palm launch like that guy on YouTube had. But I experiencing that problem just after updating it to .701, mind boggling huh
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Are you sure that your palm is totally horizontal?
2017-11-1
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Séa Posted at 2017-11-1 07:11
I have seen this problem on YouTube, was watching about Spark's mandatory update, and this guy said his Spark always drifting to the side when doing the palm launch after the mandatory update, as he demonstrated it on the video. unfortunately I didn't remember the video's title, the main thing that the guy wanted to cover is about the mandatory update, he mentioned about this palm launch drift problem occurs after the update in a small portion of his video. The strange thing is, I own the Spark just recently (October 15th) and of course I must update the Spark to the mandatory firmware in order to be able to fly it, so I updated it, but didn't have any problem with the palm launch like that guy on YouTube had. But I experiencing that problem just after updating it to .701, mind boggling huh

Update incidental to the sudden drift?

Maybe one of your props is warped or bent slightly.  Swap them around to test or put on the spares?  New sticker on one side?  New battery with different balance?  One motor getting broke in so it is now more efficient than it was when new, thereby throwing the launch off at first?  

Lots of things going on as the software feedback loop gets a feel for how the drone reacts each launch.  I figure bigger drones are less susceptible to little changes than this tiny drone.

Tech can't be preserved like art.  Use the crap out of it, destroy it from too much play time, then buy the newest version.
2017-11-1
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 07:43

I always hold and level my Spark like this before using the palm launch
Untitled-1_03.jpg
2017-11-1
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-11-1 07:46

Maybe one of your props is warped or bent slightly.  Swap them around to test or put on the spares?  New sticker on one side?  New battery with different balance?  One motor getting broke in so it is now more efficient than it was when new, thereby throwing the launch off at first?  

totally fine props, no crash, no bent, no warp, no sticker, same battery. this issue occured JUST after I finished updating my firmware to .701
Untitled-1_03.jpg
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Séa Posted at 2017-11-1 08:26

Ok!

So try a start via app slide, but from your palm.
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Séa Posted at 2017-11-1 08:26

I forgot half:

"it launched perfectly straight up when using the normal launch mode (via RC where you have to slide to launch)"

If it is doing so but from your hand, it is the palm start function.
Somehow
If not, .....
2017-11-1
Use props
Séa
First Officer
Indonesia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 08:55
I forgot half:

"it launched perfectly straight up when using the normal launch mode (via RC where you have to slide to launch)"

Exactly :\
2017-11-1
Use props
SpiderPilot
lvl.1
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 07:43

Yes. I have even tried to adjust for the "left drift" behavior by trying to direct it slightly to the right. No deal, still drifts left to the point where there is no way it is seeing my face.
2017-11-1
Use props
SpiderPilot
lvl.1
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-11-1 07:46

I have replaced props also, and this is not a problem with Remote Controlled take off.
2017-11-1
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

SpiderPilot Posted at 2017-11-1 10:46
I have replaced props also, and this is not a problem with Remote Controlled take off.

Ah, okay.  I still think it is more an issue with the motors, balance, or position and just doesn't have the extra lift of ground effect to help it initially get its balance.  Weird, but I couldn't tell you if mine drifts on hand launch as I never paid attention.   It doesn't immediately try to escape like my RC models of old, so I am good.

You could try holding your hand lower or higher.  Or, slightly tilted so the ground camera sensor doesn't see ground movement as soon as the Spark levels itself.  You do use a ground surface with nice patterns so the Spark can see if it is drifting, right?  Not smooth feature free concrete?
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Séa Posted at 2017-11-1 05:38
in this video that Ty demonstrated, I can clearly see that the Spark also slightly launched to the side. maybe Spark may occasionally do this when using the palm launch? I did try to calibrate the compass, and I did calibrate the IMU on a level surface. I have managed to launch it straight up maybe around 3 or 4 times (out of around 15 times attempt) in a random succession, no wind. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Alright, maybe a video of your situation is helpful for confirming. Please let me know if there is a need.
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Ok, I did today some kind of  "palmstarts" today, started from my hand, but with the slider on the screen.
Aside that there was a bit wind, the drift seems to get changed by the grip/release from my fingers.
My palm is not really a palm, on the above pictures I see also a finger and a thumb, which could be a bit in the way.
How about you do you starts with the app, but place the bird on your hand, like for a real palmstart.
To check, if the starting position is the problem?
2017-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules