Failed palm launch
902 9 2017-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans04a2abb9
lvl.3
Mexico

I tried having the spark take off from my hand for the first time and after giving the confirmation of facial recognition, it took off, went sideways and fell. It was not a big fall or anything serious. I had a gimbal protector and propeller guards on so there were only minor scrapes on the guards.

My question is, is the spark supposed to take off sideways when launching from your hand? Did I do something wrong? I haven't tried again because well, I don't want the drone falling again.

P.S I was reading a lot of magnetic interference out of nowhere that supposedly came from the solar storm. Would the interference be the cause for this?
2017-11-1
Use props
RaspPiGuy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35594 ft
Canada

Nope, it shouldn't move from your hand. When the lights change from green to red, it's time to lower your hand away. Spark should stay almost right where it was, even if the prox sensors are screaming about something (someone?) right in front of it.

I've had fun with palm launching it in Sport mode, then immediately hitting the left stick the second my hand is clear..  Makes for a bit of a show when you palm launch and it just zooms up into the sky
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

RaspPiGuy Posted at 2017-11-1 17:08
Nope, it shouldn't move from your hand. When the lights change from green to red, it's time to lower your hand away. Spark should stay almost right where it was, even if the prox sensors are screaming about something (someone?) right in front of it.

I've had fun with palm launching it in Sport mode, then immediately hitting the left stick the second my hand is clear..  Makes for a bit of a show when you palm launch and it just zooms up into the sky

"I've had fun with palm launching it in Sport mode, then immediately hitting the left stick the second my hand is clear..  Makes for a bit of a show when you palm launch and it just zooms up into the sky"

Usually the sport mode needs to be reconfirmed after a start by switching it off and on again.
Does it really palm launch in sports mode?
2017-11-1
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

May be the gimbal peotector cause distortion and confuse the bird.
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Here are some instruction you need to know:
1.Please notice that you should not release the aircraft when the front LEDs are solid green.
2.When you are releasing the aircraft, ensure that the aircraft is not tilted.
3.After releasing the aircraft, do not place your palm underneath the aircraft.
2017-11-1
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-1 18:14
May be the gimbal peotector cause distortion and confuse the bird.

Maybe, isn't it using facial recognition to hand launch?  Can't turn to track face so rolls over as face and horizon leaves the scene?

I did ground launch with a gimbal protector on and just got an overload warning.  Took off fine.  Promptly landed and removed the protector.  No issues.

I think the operator yanked back his hand before rotors got up to speed.  Or held on and fumbled it.  
2017-11-1
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I always grab the bird slightly and let it pull itself up then let go.
2017-11-1
Use props
fans04a2abb9
lvl.3
Mexico

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-11-1 19:35
Maybe, isn't it using facial recognition to hand launch?  Can't turn to track face so rolls over as face and horizon leaves the scene?

I did ground launch with a gimbal protector on and just got an overload warning.  Took off fine.  Promptly landed and removed the protector.  No issues.

It started going and I didn't grabbed it, it kind of just went sideways and flipped over
2017-11-2
Use props
fans04a2abb9
lvl.3
Mexico

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-1 19:30
Here are some instruction you need to know:
1.Please notice that you should not release the aircraft when the front LEDs are solid green.
2.When you are releasing the aircraft, ensure that the aircraft is not tilted.

Maybe that's what I needed to do. I didn't know I have to remove my hand, I just let it stay there. Maybe it confused the bottom sensors?
2017-11-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans04a2abb9 Posted at 2017-11-2 12:01
Maybe that's what I needed to do. I didn't know I have to remove my hand, I just let it stay there. Maybe it confused the bottom sensors?

Please have another try and see if it works. Keep us updated. Thanks.
2017-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules