Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will Phantom 3 photos/video require lens correction?
6594 31 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wagner_peter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

Love my Phantom 2 Vision+, but hate having to run everything through lens correction software. Please tell me the Phantom 3 won't capture eveything all fish-eye lens-looking, too, like the Vision+...
2015-4-9
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, almost certain your pictures will do. This is due to the nature of the lense.
2015-4-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2015-4-10 07:14
Yes, almost certain your pictures will do. This is due to the nature of the lense.

Sorry but the P3 camera has a rectilinear lens.  Little or no fisheye.  It is the same as the Inspire.
2015-4-9
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I stand corrected! Figured as the lense has a wide angle view it would do. I do apologise.
2015-4-10
Use props
jeff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

Even if "rectilinear " it still has some barrel distortion. You can see it in the samples when tipped down. I'm sure a adobe will create a lens profile that will do some correction.
With a 94 degree angle of view that's about like a 20mm lens on a full frame sensor on a 35mm slr.  Even my nikon lenses look better with some correction.
There's barrel distortion, chromatic Aberation , and probably a bit of falloff at the corners- just not as bad as the fisheye was.
And if they don't, you can do it yourself in Lightroom or Photoshop in the raw files with "Lens Correction" tab.
The images will benefit from this- but aren't strictly necessary.
2015-4-10
Use props
wagner_peter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the samples, most are straight down where you wouldn't notice it, and I only see it in one of the photos (you can see the curved ocean horizon in one shot).

I had a profile for Photoshop to fix the distortion in Pics/Video taken with my P2V+. It did a decent job, but it could take over an hour for it to render some video and while the end result wasn't fish-eye it certainly looked like it lost quality. I can't even imagine how long it would take to run the correction on a 4k video... From the sound of it, the distortion of footage should be nearly as bas as that on the P2V+.

How cool would it be to have software on the Phantom to fix it real-time as it's recording based on the angle of the camera?
2015-4-13
Use props
m07011989.gmail
New

Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 20:19
Sorry but the P3 camera has a rectilinear lens.  Little or no fisheye.  It is the same as the Insp ...

I am looking for a Quad that takes excellent pictures and thought I had found the right one.
But after seeing this guys video I am not so sure any more.

2016-1-7
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

m07011989.gmail Posted at 2016-1-7 23:50
I am looking for a Quad that takes excellent pictures and thought I had found the right one.
But a ...

Look at the shadow, thats not a Phantom 3, and the video is in 480p...
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

m07011989.gmail Posted at 2016-1-7 23:50
But a ...

Whatever that quad is, it's horrible video quality 100% not a Phantom3.
Right now, there's really nothing out there that gives the user HD video downlink quality as good as the Phantom/Inspire. At least not in the same price range.
2016-1-7
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-7 08:07
Whatever that quad is, it's horrible video quality 100% not a Phantom3.
Right now, there's really  ...

And the P3 has no microphone, so you wouldn't hear the props.  Fake video, or at least mislabled - could be a P2+GoPro.
2016-1-7
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Note Adobe Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CC come with a distortion correction filter for the Phantom 3 images.
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2016-1-8 00:13
And the P3 has no microphone, so you wouldn't hear the props.  Fake video, or at least mislabled - ...

I didn't even have sound on, I just knew in the first few seconds it was not a  P3
2016-1-7
Use props
MSPilot
New

Canada

Good catch. On both the sound and the shadow.
2016-1-7
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-7 16:34
Note Adobe Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CC come with a distortion correction filter for the Phantom 3 i ...

Bugger...I'm on LR 5.  Does it completely straighten the image?  If you do it manually you still end up with a little moustache shape distortion in horizons.  Hardly noticeable, but it's there.
2016-1-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-8 03:34
Note Adobe Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CC come with a distortion correction filter for the Phantom 3 i ...

Why, what distortion are they attempting to correct?
2016-1-7
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Lens Correction

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-7 15:50
Bugger...I'm on LR 5.  Does it completely straighten the image?  If you do it manually you still e ...

I have LR 5 and Photoshop CS6.  I downloaded and installed a demo of LR 6, found where it stores lens correction files, copied them to the same folder in my LR 5 and the Phantom camera model was there to apply.

The correction removes a small amount of bulge from the center of the image.

Lens Correction

Lens Correction

2016-1-7
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

m07011989.gmail Posted at 2016-1-7 10:50
But a ...

Didnt watch the video as the thumbnail shows the fisheye which is definitely not a Phantom 3.So rest assured the Phantom3 is awesome in it's price range.
Look at  the video members of this forum have shot (main page) and your wallet will lose weight.
2016-1-7
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-8 00:52
I have LR 5 and Photoshop CS6.  I downloaded and installed a demo of LR 6, found where it stores le ...

Excellent!...I'll give that a try, thanks.
2016-1-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-8 11:52
I have LR 5 and Photoshop CS6.  I downloaded and installed a demo of LR 6, found where it stores le ...

Hmm, I have never seen any distortion in the pictures from my P3Pro, so I do not see the point of correcting. And it is not as if I would not know it if I saw it, I worked in the field for many years.
2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-8 11:07
Hmm, I have never seen any distortion in the pictures from my P3Pro, so I do not see the point of  ...

It's very subtle & you're unlikely to see it unless you have straight lines across an image.  Here's on of mine that has the problem.  You can just about see the top of the dam isn't perfectly straight (well you can on the larger version...maybe I'll dig it out when I can access it).  It's been adjusted as best I can with Lightroom's distortion correction tools, but it's not perfect.

2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

In fact, I'll dig it out to show you the uncorrected version which is much worse.
2016-1-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

OK, does not look bad to me, and as I don't shoot stills, only moving images, it probably is not worth my bothering about.
2016-1-8
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could you zip that file and upload it?
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I think for the low price of the Phantom and all you can do with it, the camera is pretty awesome.
2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-8 13:39
It's very subtle & you're unlikely to see it unless you have straight lines across an image.  Here' ...

Here are some larger examples.  You probably need to enlarge them move the top edge of the dam up to the edge of your display to see it clearly.

Uncorrected

Uncorrected

Manual Correction

Manual Correction

Auto Correction with Inspire camera profile

Auto Correction with Inspire camera profile
2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 22:53
I think for the low price of the Phantom and all you can do with it, the camera is pretty awesome.

Agreed, for video it's very good, particularly the gimbal for the price.
2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've downloaded LR6CC for a 30 day trial & the inspire correction profile is perfect, much better the manual correction as it's got barrel distortion in the centre & pincushion towards the edges.

I can't figure out where the files are stored though.  I read somewhere the files are now part of the application file since LR4 onwards so they can't be copied.  I may end up shelling out for an upgrade to LR6 if I can't copy them across.  I seem to have to do that with every new camera i buy these days.  It's just a shame LR6 doesn't have lens correction for my Fuji XT-1 & lenses.  Maybe I need something else, like DXO.
2016-1-9
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

4wd Posted at 2016-1-8 15:47
Could you zip that file and upload it?

The file is to big to share however here is a dropbox link that I'll keep active until my DB space fills up.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57567994/LensProfiles.rar

LP location

LP location

I replaced the complete Lens Profile folder.  You need the Index.dat file so that LR 5 can use the profiles. (in the rar)  The image attached shows where this folder is located for LR.

2016-1-9
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-9 09:48
I've downloaded LR6CC for a 30 day trial & the inspire correction profile is perfect, much better t ...

Files can be copied however they do not work because the index.dat file does not update.  I used the index.dat from LR6.  Basically I copied and pasted the complete LensProfie folder and sub folders
2016-1-9
Use props
ccpirate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-7 14:52

Hey brah... how about emailing me that file... save me the trouble of doing what you did... ingenious - I am totally content with LR 5 and PS CS6 (like your set up)...
Respect
PunaPhantom
edit: sorry... didnt read all the way through to end of thread... just got it from your drop box!!!
Thanks brah...

By the way... do you know of a way to apply the filter to all images... wonder if we can do during import...
Cause if I just highlight a series and hit lens correction... it applies it to only the first in the series.
Just installed the new presets... works like a charm thanks brah...
2016-8-24
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ccpirate@gmail. Posted at 2016-8-24 19:47
Hey brah... how about emailing me that file... save me the trouble of doing what you did... ingenio ...

Hi glad it worked for you.  You can apply a lens correction to multiple files in the following manner.
1. Perform the correction on one file.
2. In multi file view select all the files to be corrected.  Start with the corrected file first (brighter highlight).
3. Right click the corrected file, choose Develop Settings, Sync Settings.
4. On the sync screen confirm that lens correction is ticked and press Synchronize.
2016-8-25
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-8-25 16:16
Hi glad it worked for you.  You can apply a lens correction to multiple files in the following man ...

Thanks for the routine... I am actually aware of this procedure... and use it when I have a batch of photos that are similar and will need similar adjustments... just never thought about it in respect to this adjustment - brain phart, senility, senior moment, call it what you will... a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Actually will add this to my list of little annoyances with LR - another is: why can't we click and drag to select a batch of images??? I mean EVERY other program on this planet allow you to click and drag... wtf Adobe!!!
2016-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules