How do you warm up the battery if you get a warning before takeoff
6551 28 2017-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd6a7f95d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240974 ft
United Kingdom

I had a warning that the battery temperature was below recommend if you run motors will this increase temperature before you takeoff
2017-11-2
Use props
fansd6a7f95d
lvl.2
United Kingdom

How do you warm up the battery if you get a warning before takeoff

I had a warning that the battery temperature was below recommend if you run motors will this increase temperature before you takeoff
2017-11-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Put the battery in your inside pocket to warm up !!

or

Get a Turnigy LiPo warming bag - runs of car socket or a 3S standard LiPo.

Nigel
2017-11-2
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Down the front of your shorts/trousers/pants/skirt/dress
2017-11-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't wait for a warning.  If I'm flying from home, I stick mine in the kitchen oven if it's cold out.  Been doing it for years.  I have a system.  If I'm on the road, I'd put it inside my coat.  
2017-11-2
Use props
fansd6a7f95d
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi thanks for the feedback but my problem is I am in a wheelchair and bye the time I would do some of the answers it would become cold I was thinking how I can do it when it is in the drone
2017-11-2
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Put it halfway in and blow with a hairdryer on hot till warm.
2017-11-2
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the pockets for a few mins and you're good to go.
2017-11-2
Use props
sSunSets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Ahhh... I heard here.....  Room temp. is good. Take off and hover a few minutes...  rev the motors, with up and down alititude, 10' hits. Idea... that action heats the battery fast/soon. heats up the battery. flight time varies.
2017-11-2
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

As I recall the motors wont start if battery is below recommended temp, so running motors to warm up the battery isnt in the cards. As mentioned above keep batteries in your pockets or warm place until time to place in the aircraft.  Since your in a wheelchair, putting batteries in your lap is a good option, and handy.
remember, cold weather flying involves reduce battery air time, so keep it close. Enjoy.
2017-11-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The P3 battery heater might be helpful: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-battery-heater?from=search
2017-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you had the forum with you, use all the hot air, getting expelled by angry pilots, with faulty drones. ;-)

Seriously, there are numerous ways to warm a cold battery. Or keep it warm
The best method I've found is sitting in my archery gear box, and in my fishing tackle box.

You know them hand and/or boot warmers that heat up when you break the membrane within the outer layer? Those packs each last about 6 hours, which is more than enough time to fly a couple of batteries.
Just wrap them up together in a plush towel, and you are good to go.

Congrats for not letting your "handy capable" situation not stopping you from enjoying many of the best things in life. RC hobbies, rates right up there for me.  Bravo

RedHotPoker

2017-11-2
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yeah this one has me beat too. I received the battery warning, replaced the battery with one that was stored in same place (i.e. same temp) and no problem lifting off. Guess simple solution is leave batteries in warm area to start with.
2017-11-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

This items is cheap ... it works ... about $12 + shipping

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turn ... mer-bag-12v-dc.html

Any 12v source will run it ... I have a car plug and old 3S LiPo so I can run it while driving / car is at site and also when away from the car. It is insulated so it keeps heat for quite a while when unplugged. You can get two DJI P3 batterys in there with a squueze - but one is enough because while flying - second one can be warming up !

Nigel
2017-11-3
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I too spend a fair bit of life on wheels and unless you also use a car (WAV) to get to where you are flying I would suggest the DJI warmer as it relies on the battery only and no external power supply. In various places close to parts of your anatomy is good if you can reach them easily, but when you are sat in wheels it is often not that easy.
2017-11-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Why use your precious DJI battery for such a job ? So you charge up your DJI batterys ..... use one for the warmer .... later that day you want another battery ?

Sorry ... no disrespect - but there ways to solve this simply without using precious DJI batterys !!

Each to their own ... but I know I prefer to save my expensive DJI batterys for flying ......

Nigel

2017-11-3
Use props
joeyB106
lvl.2

United States

pockets, or when I'm with my truck i just put them by the heater
2017-11-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Like many here and other RC - winters and cold weather have been a factor in E-Powered models. It doesn't matter if car or flying machine .. cold hits all batterys.

For years I used insulated picnic bags - they were warmed up in house along with batterys and anything that holds warmth. Zipped up and put in car at moment of leaving home. Keep bag warm ... only open whjen necessary ... even put warm USED batterys in .... use of Battery checker soon says which is charged / used.

Then along came the Turnigy bag ... so simple ... I still use my large picnic bag - basically I am carrying anywhere from 10 - 20 LiPo's to a meeting from 2S up to 6S in many sizes. So the Turnigy bag is for the first batterys ... as I take one out - I put next in ...

No longer put used back in bag to give heat ... they can cool down nicely on the side ...

The trick is to come to a system of use - we all have different requirements / use so we adapt / create own ways. I hope the above can help.

Nigel
2017-11-3
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I use a neoprene 10" tablet case with a couple of hand warmers thrown in, holds 2 P3S batteries.
2017-11-3
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Just remember is just needs to be warmed up a little bit in those cold conditions. By the same token, you don't want it to be too warm either. I placed a battery in front of the heater in my truck one time, and apparently it was a bit too long (it felt real warm), and I got an error saying the battery was too hot. So, don't over do it. LOL
Remember too that once you are in the air, depending on how cold it is and how hard you are working the motors, the battery will naturally begin to heat up while it is being used, so it doesn't have to be real warm.
I think it is great to have a proper bag to store them in or whatever, but as some have said, all it takes is to put it in your jacket pocket, or just between your legs, for a short time and that should be enough to do the trick.
I think the hand warmers should like a good option. You shouldn't ever leave your batteries outside or in your garage if they will be subject to cold temperatures either.
2017-11-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

You shouldn't ever leave your batteries outside or in your garage if they will be subject to cold temperatures either.

A lot of people believe in the storage charge and then into the fridge.  It is a fact that reducing temperature does slow down degradation of battery and self discharge. BUt with a DJI battery - the circuit in it is designed to continue discharge after the set days.

Some think it stops at 60 - 65% ... wrong. It just slows down after that. It will continue to discharge until it hits hibernation  phase. That can be a low level ...

I agree that you shouldn't leave outside if it drops to freezing or near that ... but +C low temps are not a problem.

Nigel
2017-11-3
Use props
Javey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Have not seen the battery heater before, good investment.  I've had problems as it gets very cold here in the northwest, and it's hard to keep them warm if hiking etc.
2017-11-10
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

a min or so before I go into the distance.
2017-11-10
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

embayweather Posted at 2017-11-3 05:36
I too spend a fair bit of life on wheels and unless you also use a car (WAV) to get to where you are flying I would suggest the DJI warmer as it relies on the battery only and no external power supply. In various places close to parts of your anatomy is good if you can reach them easily, but when you are sat in wheels it is often not that easy.

honest officer I was just trying to get this battery out of my trousers. Yep that'd go down (??) real well.
2017-11-10
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just hover the AC for couple of mins before taking off.
2017-11-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-11-10 20:54
I just hover the AC for couple of mins before taking off.

That's fine if the AC powers up to fly ...

Nigel
2017-11-10
Use props
jmrfoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77257 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-2 19:43
The P3 battery heater might be helpful: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-battery-heater?from=search

Is one of these available for the Phantom 4 Pro batteries?  Seems like a really useful item for where I live this time of year....
2017-11-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jmrfoto Posted at 2017-11-11 10:03
Is one of these available for the Phantom 4 Pro batteries?  Seems like a really useful item for where I live this time of year....

The batteries of P4 series has been optimized. It will warm up to the working temperature after inserting in the aircraft and powered it on. No worries.
2017-11-15
Use props
jmrfoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77257 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-15 00:34
The batteries of P4 series has been optimized. It will warm up to the working temperature after inserting in the aircraft and powered it on. No worries.

Better yet!  Thanks!
2017-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules