2987 22 2017-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Kufljj7
lvl.1

United States

Hey everyone,
Please follow this link to view the video:

Since day one, there was always a slight rattling noise coming off from the gimbal, but I didn't bother paying any attention because it worked fine. Last night, while filming in the air, the gimbal started loosing stability. It would randomly look away and quickly readjust. Soon enough it stopped responding and I wasn't able to record any more footage. I took it down and brought it home. The next morning when I powered on the drone, the gimbal started to have a fairly loud squeaky/rattling noise. After I restarted the drone again the gimbal started swining back and forth. Any ideas?

I've reinstalled the firmware and re-calibrated IMU & Gimbal, nothing seems to help

The drone is Phantom 4 Pro, only 3 weeks old. It still got the warranty and I also got DJI Care Refresh, but before sending this in, I would like to ask for your opinions? Logically, to me it sounds like a mechanically issue, but I would love to be proven wrong without sending this in and not having drone for few weeks.

Thank you,

-Serge
2017-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Seen that before. Like a wounded banshee.

Must be frustrating, and something that needs to be addressed, by the team...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-3
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If I'm not mistaken, this can be fixed with the beta version.  Hang on for the mods.
2017-11-3
Use props
Ulioli236
New
Argentina

It happened to me the sale when i took off muy ph3p on a surface where there was dust, then clesn the stabilizer with air and did not happen again
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_Kufljj7
lvl.1

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-3 16:30
If I'm not mistaken, this can be fixed with the beta version.  Hang on for the mods.

Yes, I just recently contacted one of the mods and waiting to hear a reply. I would love to give this beta version a try. Hopefully one of them will get back to me soon.
2017-11-3
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have you tried the gimbal calibration with the AC in this position
233525eaejcqis8xnka44z.png
2017-11-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I have received your message in PM, thanks! I'll help you get the beta firmware and try again. Please let us know whether it helps.
2017-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-3 18:13
I have received your message in PM, thanks! I'll help you get the beta firmware and try again. Please let us know whether it helps.

Good job DJI Susan.  Glad to see you are on this. Thanks

RedHotPoker
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_Kufljj7
lvl.1

United States

Hi Susan,

Thank you for sending the Beta Firmware to my account.

I have downgraded the FW on the drone, but that didn't help.Then I have upgraded to the latest beta version that you sent me last night and unfortunately, it seems that the problem still persists. The only improvement that I got out of the update is that the rocking back and forth did stop, but the camera is still shaking left and right like an old man hands when I turn on the drone.

I am going to calibrate the IMU and the camera again and will post the update in couple minutes.

Thank you.

Video Part 2:

2017-11-4
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

"Like an old man's hands"    LOL  Never heard that one before, but I guess it makes sense!  Beware of the old gents on here now!
2017-11-4
Use props
djiuser_Kufljj7
lvl.1

United States

So after further calibration, I feel like I am back to square one. Please take a look at the video below.

I am going to be mailing out the drone on Monday, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestion to try before Monday, please let me know. Thanks.

Lannes - I've tried calibration method you suggested, it didn't make any difference. Thanks.

Alabama - it's an old phrase that my grandfather used to use, not trying to offend any old gents here.

2017-11-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djiuser_Kufljj7 Posted at 2017-11-4 07:57
So after further calibration, I feel like I am back to square one. Please take a look at the video below.

I am going to be mailing out the drone on Monday, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestion to try before Monday, please let me know. Thanks.

Is there any crash and hard landing before? After learning what you have done with this issue, I would also recommend sending it in for repair.
2017-11-4
Use props
djiuser_Kufljj7
lvl.1

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-4 19:53
Is there any crash and hard landing before? After learning what you have done with this issue, I would also recommend sending it in for repair.

No thats that the thing. If it had a hard landing or a crash, I would have just used DJI Care Refresh and would have had this over with. But this drone had been very gently used and therefore it just didn't make any sense that gimbal would be faulty mechanically.

The only thing that I can relate this problem to, is that when I first got the drone, the gimbal was already making jittery/squeaky noise since the moment I turned it on for the first time, but it worked great so I didn't bother wasting my time returning it and not having drone for few weeks.

Thanks for checking in.
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_Kufljj7 Posted at 2017-11-5 06:18
No thats that the thing. If it had a hard landing or a crash, I would have just used DJI Care Refresh and would have had this over with. But this drone had been very gently used and therefore it just didn't make any sense that gimbal would be faulty mechanically.

The only thing that I can relate this problem to, is that when I first got the drone, the gimbal was already making jittery/squeaky noise since the moment I turned it on for the first time, but it worked great so I didn't bother wasting my time returning it and not having drone for few weeks.

Thanks for clarification. I understand your situation and still insist on sending it in: http://www.dji.com/support

Once received the unit, the local team will do damage assessment and offer you the corresponding solutions. Appreciate your understanding!
2017-11-7
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Unfortunately i had exact same issues and had to send mine for repair as well. It did come back not doing what its was kinda only does it mid flight now on random occasions.
Figured id wait for next update to see if that fixes it if not ill be sending mine back a second time for repair of the same fault.
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-11-7 01:47
Unfortunately i had exact same issues and had to send mine for repair as well. It did come back not doing what its was kinda only does it mid flight now on random occasions.
Figured id wait for next update to see if that fixes it if not ill be sending mine back a second time for repair of the same fault.

Could you upload some original videos of the SD card for double check? Also, please PM me the case number of your last repair, I'd like to look into the exact status.
2017-11-7
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-7 02:04
Could you upload some original videos of the SD card for double check? Also, please PM me the case number of your last repair, I'd like to look into the exact status.

Will do as soon as posible but ill send it pm i dont want to hijack this thread
2017-11-7
Use props
djiuser_Kufljj7
lvl.1

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-11-7 02:25

I think it's fine, you can post your video here as well. I believe there won't be any other solution coming my way, plus the drone has been already shipped out.
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-11-7 02:25

Noted with thanks! I'll wait for your update.
2017-11-13
Use props
djiuser_Kufljj7
lvl.1

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-11-7 01:47

Hellsgate - I was just wondering how did you manage your drone problem. Did you sent it out for a repair for the second time?

I just got an update from DJI. Looks like they are not going to replace the drone but are going to "repair" it free of charge under the warranty (additional 3-6 business days).

I am really hoping that once after the repair, it will work just fine without any problems, because if it's start giving me issues again, i'll just pay 100$ and use my DJI Care Refresh and get a new drone... This is something I should have done right from the beginning rather then not having a drone for over two weeks. It's gonna suck if Phantom 5 will come out in the next few weeks
2017-11-15
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

djiuser_Kufljj7 Posted at 2017-11-15 11:46
Hellsgate - I was just wondering how did you manage your drone problem. Did you sent it out for a repair for the second time?

I just got an update from DJI. Looks like they are not going to replace the drone but are going to "repair" it free of charge under the warranty (additional 3-6 business days).

Well so far my drone has only shown this behaviour a couple of times since i got mine back from repair.
Prior to sending in for repair the drone was unflyable  but know it seems fine on the occasions that it has played up since then  one i did an imeadiatly  rth the second time i was only about 1 minute into flight again rth the third time i let it hover and it seemed to fix itself
2017-11-15
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

I took just on a month to get my drone back now that is no fault of dji they had the drone repaired very quickly the time that took the most was transport to and from the repair center.
So if you want a quik turn around i recommend spending a little extra and get it sent priority. Unfortunately i had no chioce as mine was sent to the repair center by the retailer i bought it from.
2017-11-15
Use props
fans2bda746f
lvl.1
United States

Hi Susan ,
I'm having the same issues with my Phantom 4 Pro . The Gimbal moves left to right most of the time. Do I need a part to install or is it an easy fix? I tried the calibration and Gimbal adjustment. Didn't help me much.
Please HELP !!!!!
Thank you ,
Tony
2021-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules