6545 29 2017-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a couple of issues with the goggles, not the least of which is that they don't stay put on my head, the band slips and never feels secure, when they are down on my face they are not terrible but still a bit wobbly, if I lift the goggles they just try to fall off. I guess my head is non standard. Anyone else have a defective head?
2017-11-3
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok boys and girls, too late, there is no way these goggles will stay on my head, I see them as very nice to use for a "passenger" but not for a pilot, fighting to keep them on while trying to control the aircraft with the RC having all hands busy is just not at all the experience I hoped for, they are going back or getting sold on Ebay, it's a shame, the image on the screen is quite fun but frankly the "all immersive" experience doesn't make me feel safe, I cannot stop trying to maintain LOS spotter or not.
2017-11-4
Use props
davawt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mixchief Posted at 2017-11-4 13:25
Ok boys and girls, too late, there is no way these goggles will stay on my head, I see them as very nice to use for a "passenger" but not for a pilot, fighting to keep them on while trying to control the aircraft with the RC having all hands busy is just not at all the experience I hoped for, they are going back or getting sold on Ebay, it's a shame, the image on the screen is quite fun but frankly the "all immersive" experience doesn't make me feel safe, I cannot stop trying to maintain LOS spotter or not.

Hi there, mixchief
I have only just got mine, I needed to change my glasses over to readers for best picture, but well worth the trip to Poundland, the fit of the goggles seems to be all about the front bit being far enough down then locate the rear as low on your head as possible, by adjusting the wheel at the rear to lock in place.
Once it’s been set like that a few times it is and feels a lot better fit and secure. Give it a try I really like the Goggles now I can fit them right and feel secure. Hope this helps, there is nothing worse than something moving when you need it still. The  controls are a bit hit and miss, but again once you feel ok where they are it all starts to come together.
Bye
davawt
2017-11-4
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

davawt Posted at 2017-11-4 14:24
Hi there, mixchief
I have only just got mine, I needed to change my glasses over to readers for best picture, but well worth the trip to Poundland, the fit of the goggles seems to be all about the front bit being far enough down then locate the rear as low on your head as possible, by adjusting the wheel at the rear to lock in place.
Once it’s been set like that a few times it is and feels a lot better fit and secure. Give it a try I really like the Goggles now I can fit them right and feel secure. Hope this helps, there is nothing worse than something moving when you need it still. The  controls are a bit hit and miss, but again once you feel ok where they are it all starts to come together.

Thanks for the reply,  I have tried everything, there is a limit as to how far down the goggle can go as it has that piece in the front. The band just slips off, there is no holding it in place and the moment I lift the goggle it's all over.I'm afraid my relationship with the goggles is pretty much over.
2017-11-5
Use props
Alex 13
lvl.1
Canada

"Anyone else have a defective head?"     Yes, My head is a defective as well ... DJI...... how about your head ?
2017-11-8
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Alex 13 Posted at 2017-11-8 17:05
"Anyone else have a defective head?"     Yes, My head is a defective as well ... DJI...... how about your head ?

HAHAHAHA! Glad I'm not alone, was starting to feel a little cold. SO does this mean you also had issues with the "fitment" of the headband? or you are just being funny? BTW sadly the goggles are on their way back.
2017-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, Sir, sorry for the unpleasant experience with Goggles and late response.
Goggles fits most of people. Please make sure you wear it correctly, here is the tutorial video for reference:
Is there any hardware damage with the Goggles since you have sent it in?
2017-11-9
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-9 22:52
Hello, Sir, sorry for the unpleasant experience with Goggles and late response.
Goggles fits most of people. Please make sure you wear it correctly, here is the tutorial video for reference:
Is there any hardware damage with the Goggles since you have sent it in?

they have been sent in ........ for a refund LOL. They were very frustrating just not confortable, oh and thanksfor the video I had seen it and others.
2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

mixchief Posted at 2017-11-10 15:53
they have been sent in ........ for a refund LOL. They were very frustrating just not confortable, oh and thanksfor the video I had seen it and others.

Hope everything goes smoothly, if you need assistance, please let me know.
2017-11-14
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-14 00:36
Hope everything goes smoothly, if you need assistance, please let me know.

Thank you Mindy, al done. smooth as a baby's bum.
2017-11-14
Use props
Doc Pat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43 ft
Australia

The balance of the DJI Goggles is very poorly designed. With the visor in the down position, 75% of the total weight of the goggles is on the front rim, 25% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position this becomes much worse with 85% of the total weight on the front rim.  This means there is a large tendency for the goggles to continually slip forward.

By attaching a 300gm lead weight with Velcro to the rear rim of the goggles this faulty design balance problem can be corrected to some extent so that with the visor in the down position, 50% of the total weight is on the front rim and 50% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position, there is still 60% of the total weight on the front rim.

Unfortunately the addition of 300gm to a total weight of over 1kg is an increase of 30% to an already overweight headset!  To add to the balance problem, the rim is very inflexible, with no width control, which means the headset invariably wobbles from side to side as well as slips forward.  Overall a very bad design fault that needs to be corrected in the next version.
2018-1-20
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I don't think there was any other way to do it - the goggle unit itself is just huge to do what they're supposed to do at least at the current state of the technology. So they have to be front heavy like they are. And you see what you end up with if DJI did add a bunch of weight onto the back... What I bet is, though, is if you don't have a significant "external occipital protuberance" I think it is, namely the boney protrusion towards the base of the skull, they probably won't stay on, or they'll always be slipping...

At least that's where my goggles "lock" onto my skull at the back. I have to tighten the heck out the band, but once locked down they stay pretty well. I will say the Racing Edition goggles are a little better because the padding is different (I have both goggles).

So yeah the weight will be a problem until DJI's tech advances to a smaller lighter unit. I'm lucky and have the big bone in the back of my skull so I can wear them ok, but I feel for folks who can't....
2018-1-20
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Doc Pat Posted at 2018-1-25 01:20
Here is a solution for those with slipping DJI Goggles. I tried chin straps, rubber caps etc., but found this simple device made from lightweight aluminium strip ($3 from hardware store) and covered with gaffer tape and a piece of sheepskin to be very effective. If you get the shape right it will simply snap-on to the existing rim quite easily and firmly from the rear, and will snap-off just as easily when not required. The resultant line of force can be seen to be more symmetrical with the visor, thus preventing upward and forward slippage.

[view_image][view_image][view_image]

That's actually pretty brilliant
2018-1-25
Use props
Doc Pat
lvl.2
Australia

Here is version 2 of.my DJI Goggles stabiliser snap-on, now with adjustable angle. Note soft black rubber cushion instead of previous sheepskin. Very lightweight and comfortable. Almost impossible to shake off my goggles now.

2018-1-25
Use props
Doc Pat
lvl.2
Australia

PVC or 3D printed in matching white would be a better option. Aluminium was easier for me to prototype however and it dosn't seem to affect functionality. Head shape is definitely the problem. DJI Goggles seem to work much better on Asian heads than Caucasian heads, something to do with anthropological differences.
Ref:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20227060
2018-1-29
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Doc Pat Posted at 2018-1-29 15:27
PVC or 3D printed in matching white would be a better option. Aluminium was easier for me to prototype however and it dosn't seem to affect functionality. Head shape is definitely the problem. DJI Goggles seem to work much better on Asian heads than Caucasian heads, something to do with anthropological differences.
Ref:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20227060

Glad to know I'm not the one with the "abnormal"m head
2018-1-29
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd also consider the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses as a much lighter and comfortable option, even fully enclosed with the Rochester Optical Solitarie enclosure it's still much lighter.

The perceived screen size is amazing 320in at 20m, here is a good review from Ed Ricker

2018-2-3
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Doc Pat Posted at 2018-1-20 22:17
The balance of the DJI Goggles is very poorly designed. With the visor in the down position, 75% of the total weight of the goggles is on the front rim, 25% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position this becomes much worse with 85% of the total weight on the front rim.  This means there is a large tendency for the goggles to continually slip forward.

By attaching a 300gm lead weight with Velcro to the rear rim of the goggles this faulty design balance problem can be corrected to some extent so that with the visor in the down position, 50% of the total weight is on the front rim and 50% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position, there is still 60% of the total weight on the front rim.

I guess Bald guys are lucky they could use adhesive Velcro on the back of their head instead of Weights?
Do you have hair on you're head, could lack of hair be an issue?
2018-2-7
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-1-29 17:45
Glad to know I'm not the one with the "abnormal"m head

I had the same problem and fixed mine by accident !!!
I got so mad about the tab in the front restricting the downward movement that I decided to try and bend them up a bit.
Well, I muscled it a bit too much and that tab in the front snapped right off. Luckily, it came off cleanly and revealed two little metal tabs where it was connected behind the padded headband.
Now, that annoying tab is not there and the goggles can be pulled down in the front and fit perfectly....lol
They should have eliminated this tab completely or made it where the tab could be adjusted vertically with a sliding adjustment.

Anyone having this problem you can try this, or go behind the headband with a straight screwdriver and that nasty tab will pull right off.
2018-2-11
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2018-2-11 22:05
I had the same problem and fixed mine by accident !!!
I got so mad about the tab in the front restricting the downward movement that I decided to try and bend them up a bit.
Well, I muscled it a bit too much and that tab in the front snapped right off. Luckily, it came off cleanly and revealed two little metal tabs where it was connected behind the padded headband.

I agree, that tab kept the damn goggles from sitting right and I did wish it was adjustable. however, what happens if you pick the goggles up, do they stay or get weird again, you know specially when you are taking off or landing? I bet if the cushion material wa a velour or some sort of grippy material it would solve the issues also.hey, King Crimson, love that cover!
2018-2-11
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-2-11 23:10
I agree, that tab kept the damn goggles from sitting right and I did wish it was adjustable. however, what happens if you pick the goggles up, do they stay or get weird again, you know specially when you are taking off or landing? I bet if the cushion material wa a velour or some sort of grippy material it would solve the issues also.hey, King Crimson, love that cover!

Totally solved the problem for me !!!
When I lift them up, they now stay put. Also, without that goofy tab, the adjustment can be made tighter and feel absolutely stable.
Since they are so front heavy, the headband also should have been contoured in the back so it slopes down in a "U" shape just as the gentleman above did in his modification.
But, luckily for me the accidental breakage of the tab has totally solved the fit and I feel safe wearing them and not falling off my head when lifting them.
This sounds nuts but also was thinking of another thing.
Attach two bandana handkerchiefs or something along this line on both sides or maybe a football helmet chin strap.
That way, you could tie the bandanas under your neck for more support and stability. Or, if you could attach a chin strap, then it could go under your chin.............lol

Ideas from, "The Court Of The Crimson King"..........lol
2018-2-12
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2018-2-12 07:36
Totally solved the problem for me !!!
When I lift them up, they now stay put. Also, without that goofy tab, the adjustment can be made tighter and feel absolutely stable.
Since they are so front heavy, the headband also should have been contoured in the back so it slopes down in a "U" shape just as the gentleman above did in his modification.

YES IT SOUNDS PRETTY CRAZY,  seems to me it would start getting a bit uncomfortable like that
2018-2-12
Use props
fansd3d21bef
lvl.2
United States

I don't know who designed the Human Machine Interface but they should be looking for a job.  It does not fit our big heads. You cannot flip up or down with ONE hand without knocking them off or sliding them out of position.  Really SUCKS they spent so little time on the fitment on 5-95 percentile population. Has anyone had any trouble returning them?   
2018-2-19
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansd3d21bef Posted at 2018-2-19 07:46
I don't know who designed the Human Machine Interface but they should be looking for a job.  It does not fit our big heads. You cannot flip up or down with ONE hand without knocking them off or sliding them out of position.  Really SUCKS they spent so little time on the fitment on 5-95 percentile population. Has anyone had any trouble returning them?

I got them from adorama, no problem returning them at all. Glad I'm not the only one with a human head
2018-2-19
Use props
fans1f0686d9
lvl.1

United States

Rickyber was on the right track.
I carefully removed the FOAM PAD from the upper for head THING.
And that helped a lot.
Then I put some 1/4 inch thick peel and stick foam instead. ( craft store 1.00$ ) .
Lowered front and much more solid.  
2019-4-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another one here for whom these do not fit very well, too wide, and, as supplied, not long enough. Nor did they fit the person I bought them from and that was his reason for selling them.
With regards to the bit that comes up over the front of the head, it is held onto the actual head band by two small cross head screws that are found just under the top edge of the foam of the actual head band.

I can see the thinking behind this 'support' put in my case these goggle are a better fit without it and their 'length' becomes more appropriate
2019-7-24
Use props
LeWoth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168146 ft
Sweden

mixchief Posted at 2017-11-4 13:25

I came from Headplay HD that I used with my Inspire and sold them both to get something more nimble. Got the Mavic 2 Zoom with Goggles RE and I love the image quality in the goggles, but the fit to my head is terrible! ;(
There’s no way that I can raise the ”helmet” and have them staying on my head. They are front heavy as hell and despite tightening them really hard, they will put all the load on my nose and of course provide a nasty headache.
Not sure of what to do with the goggles to provide some comfort???
2020-2-2
Use props
djiuser_WRJ9Bc76yTfy
New

United States

To anyone who has the problem with the goggles falling up off there head, I found an easy stay put cure. I where my baseball cap backwards and put the goggles over my hat works great !!!! No more issues. Try it !!!
2020-2-18
Use props
bsshog40
lvl.1
United States

I also figured out a good method for securing the goggles better. I hot glued some velcro straps to the side. Makes for a very good and snug fit.

2020-4-30
Use props
djiuser_7EuF0NhEWesX
lvl.1

United States

Found a cheap fix for this if anyone is still having issues. I got a cheap pair of swimming goggles took the elastic band off and tied it around the metal part on the band. I pull it under my chin and behind my ears and I have no problem with stability while the goggles are up or down, fits secure.
2021-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules