Disabling Object Avoidance
6286 31 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone-Nut
lvl.1
United States

I thought out of Beginner mode would disable Object Avoidance.  But apparently Not.  How do we disable OA on the P4P ?

There's plenty of info on how to do it with P4,  but P4P does not have the same option in the GO PRO App...??

2017-11-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Go PRO App ???
2017-11-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I were you I would download the P4P Manual and have a good read through it a couple of times and take notes for reference if needed.
2017-11-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There are two places in the app where you can disable obstacle avoidance and they are very easy to find.
2017-11-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Out of beginner mode will disable side OA, unless your in tripod mode, there’s loads of really neat stuff in your manual.
2017-11-4
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Why do you want to disable obstacle avoidance?

Do you want to crash
2017-11-5
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-11-5 04:07

Do you want to crash

I have had instances where the obstacle avoidance was a hindrance. Relying on AO to avoid crashes instead of line of sight flying is folly.
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m1shootr Posted at 2017-11-5 04:38
I have had instances where the obstacle avoidance was a hindrance. Relying on AO to avoid crashes instead of line of sight flying is folly.

You can still keep OA on and still be in VLOS .
2017-11-5
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-11-5 04:38

I have found that the O/A system is a great safety feature and leave it on for the most part and I always have my Phantom within sight. I only disable the system when doing an inspection and have to get in close to the subject and once the job is done the system is returned to normal.
2017-11-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Do you want to crash

A better question is:
Why would you want to have OA enabled all the time?
An environment where OA is helpful isn't a good flying environment.
Switching off OA gives you a 50% boost in speed which also gives you significantly greater range.
I think I've only used OA for about 1% of my flying.
2017-11-5
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Hi Nigel,

Labroides has some good points, there are times when it is useful or wise to use OA sensors but not always. There are also various settings you can use with the OA system, to be found in the App at the top right (three dots), Then choose second symbol down for the Visual Navigation Settings, switch OA on/off and under Advanced Settings. These can be adjusted during flight if required.

Alternatively you can set the OA to be less sensitive called “Narrow Mode” by programming one of the programmable switches (C1 or C2). This can be found under Remote Controller Settings (third symbol down) in the Set Up main menu. Note you need to keep pressing this button to maintain the narrow mode. Useful for fine work is a combination of Tripod Mode and Narrow Sensing.

Have fun.
2017-11-5
Use props
Drone-Nut
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-4 16:32
Out of beginner mode will disable side OA, unless your in tripod mode, there’s loads of really neat stuff in your manual.

Nope.   Not true.  Tested and it did NOT work
2017-11-5
Use props
Drone-Nut
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-11-4 15:56
If I were you I would download the P4P Manual and have a good read through it a couple of times and take notes for reference if needed.

"
"If I were you I would download the P4P Manual and have a good read through it a couple of times and take notes for reference if needed."

It would have taken less time to answer the question than write that condescending arrogant answer?
2017-11-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone-Nut Posted at 2017-11-5 06:49
"
"If I were you I would download the P4P Manual and have a good read through it a couple of times and take notes for reference if needed."

As you've asked the question the answer is no.

Nothing condescending at all about the answer, it's a bit worrying when the basics are not known. And guess what I did, just to ensure the instruction was the same for the P4P as my P4, I read the manual.
2017-11-5
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Drone-Nut Posted at 2017-11-5 06:46

You could do with reading hallmark's answer, as well as the manual a little more carefully!

I still don't see any reason to turn it off for normal flying, if you want to go faster as suggested by Labroides the you can put it in sports mode which does disable all obstacle avoidance.

I also very rarely turn off the anti-lock brakes in my car even though they don't often get used,  most of the time there is no disadvantage and by the time you realise you want them it is too late to turn them on!
2017-11-5
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-5 04:44
You can still keep OA on and still be in VLOS .

And, your point?
2017-11-5
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-5 05:04
A better question is:

+1 Absolutely. Had DJI released the P4PA first without the OA I would have it instead of the P4P.
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

My point was you can have OA on while flying VLOS if you need to switch it off just put into sport mode, maybe you can tell us of the hindrance it is causing you .
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone-Nut Posted at 2017-11-5 06:46

Tested Wrong or broken P4Pro.
2017-11-5
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-5 08:13
My point was you can have OA on while flying VLOS if you need to switch it off just put into sport mode, maybe you can tell us of the hindrance it is causing you .

Yes, sometime the drone freezes in place ruining my filming sequence. That is a hindrance.
2017-11-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-11-5 07:23
You could do with reading hallmark's answer, as well as the manual a little more carefully!

I still don't see any reason to turn it off for normal flying, if you want to go faster as suggested by Labroides the you can put it in sports mode which does disable all obstacle avoidance.

You can use Sport mode but it's not ideal as it drains the battery faster and the movements are more aggressive.
P-GPS mode with OA disabled is much better for what I need and means the Phantom can deal with moderate winds.
I'm guessing the anti-lock brakes on your car aren't slowing it all the time? - That's what OA does.

If you fly in an area where OA is useful, that's fine but if you fly where there's nothing to hit, the benefits of switching it off are significant.
2017-11-5
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

In the DJI Go4 manual its called "visual navigation settings"

Have a read here

https://store.dji.com/guides/dji-go-4-manual/4/
2017-11-5
Use props
fans58aa937a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 298885 ft
United States

Don't you love the RTFM responses? So helpful.
2018-1-29
Use props
Krazeeeyez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1598481 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans58aa937a Posted at 2018-1-29 09:07
Don't you love the RTFM responses? So helpful.

Some very helpful responses in here.. and I did read the manual... albeit 2 years ago
2018-5-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In case others find this whilst looking for the answer, find the OA icon top middle of the app shown in red on the image below (only one without the label lol) , tap it and there you will find the sensors section

2018-5-17
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I knew exactly what he meant.
2018-5-18
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Do you want to crash

Sometimes, you have to fly in really tight situations, even in tripod mode, your forward progress will stop because of an obstacle.  It's several feet away, but it messes up your shot.
2018-5-18
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-5 05:04
A better question is:

That's why you can turn them on and off at will.  There's not a right and wrong.  Just a me and you.  Do what suits your project.
2018-5-18
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-11-5 07:08
As you've asked the question the answer is no.

Nothing condescending at all about the answer, it's a bit worrying when the basics are not known. And guess what I did, just to ensure the instruction was the same for the P4P as my P4, I read the manual.

I've read the manual a few times, but I don't remember everything in it.  In fact, it seems like I learn something new every time I read it.

And while the OP could have bypassed the predictable RTFM posts, he may be like me . I'm a little scatterbrained when it comes to looking things up.  I have a near-phobia of phone books.  An acceptable substitute to a specific, quick question can be to post the question to the forum, understand that some people are appalled by questions whose answers can be found in the manual - to the point that they will stop what they're doing to say so.  Other people will take the opportunity to "show what they know" and help a guy out.

The yin and the yang of the forum:  In order to get the black paisley with the white dot, you must endure the white paisley with the black dot.
2018-5-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

BobUnplugged Posted at 2018-5-18 07:09
I've read the manual a few times, but I don't remember everything in it.  In fact, it seems like I learn something new every time I read it.

And while the OP could have bypassed the predictable RTFM posts, he may be like me . I'm a little scatterbrained when it comes to looking things up.  I have a near-phobia of phone books.  An acceptable substitute to a specific, quick question can be to post the question to the forum, understand that some people are appalled by questions whose answers can be found in the manual - to the point that they will stop what they're doing to say so.  Other people will take the opportunity to "show what they know" and help a guy out.

And your post has given the OP the answer he required ?

Seems to me you've not taken the opportunity to 'show what you know' and answer his query.
2018-5-18
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually Beginner Mode enables Obstacle Avoidance on all four sides.
2018-5-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And tripod, ive not used that mode yet though, i wonder if the OA can be turned off in tripod mode? I fly 90% of the time with the front and back sensors off, the sun is a PIA and forever stopping the crafts momentum due to the sensors going off :/
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules