Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Marykirk, Scotland - Aerial 360
707 21 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G Davidson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Marykirk, near Montrose Scotland - Aerial 360 - click image below to look around.

Google Maps version at https://goo.gl/maps/hriuGvjwgNo
RoundMe versions at https://roundme.com/tour/213908/view/588773/
2017-11-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job...
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That's swell. I like these, a little more every time I look at them...

One of these days...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-4
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks Hallmark007!
2017-11-4
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-4 19:20
That's swell. I like these, a little more every time I look at them...

One of these days...

Glad you like them RedHotPoker!

It might be worth having a go at some. The sky part is a rather a drag to fix up but the landscape generally comes out well.
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-4 23:16
Glad you like them RedHotPoker!

It might be worth having a go at some. The sky part is a rather a drag to fix up but the landscape generally comes out well.

Yes, it's something that I have been considering trying for some time now.
I really like these, and would like to give it a try, so maybe that will be a project to work on.

Trouble is, winter has come here, so mine would mostly be all white. Spring time. . .

RedHotPoker

2017-11-4
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-4 23:22
Yes, it's something that I have been considering trying for some time now.
I really like these, and would like to give it a try, so maybe that will be a project to work on.

It would be a novelty for me to catch a snowy winter scene as snow is seemingly getting rarer here in the U.K. I’m sure the novelty would wear off quickly though, autumn colours are much nicer to look at

I don’t fly much in winter as between getting decent flying conditions, battery temperature management and the sun not getting much above the horizon, it gets a bit awkward.
2017-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes winter in Alberta. It's not that bad, only lasts three months, and is refreshing.  No insects. Ha
But if you love warm weather, then it won't fit your bill.

How do you folks celibrate Christmas without any snow?  Spray on... Ha
So no tobogganing, or skiing, what about skating, do you have outdoor rinks?

Yes, maybe a mostly white globe would be interesting, I have no idea though.
I can't help you with flying conditions, but you can buy those boot warmers to keep your flight packs toasty warm.
Flying at dusk is actually pretty awesome. The onboard LED's are much more visible when the sun finally goes down.
I put Lume Cubes with mounts on my drone, so I can see it very well, even in the brightest sunny sky, but at night they are blinking brilliant. On strobe.

I didn't know that the day sky got darker for your winter season. But that's pretty normal here with the Sun rising and setting lower. Long shadows.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-5
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-5 00:36
Yes winter in Alberta. It's not that bad, only lasts three months, and is refreshing.  No insects. Ha
But if you love warm weather, then it won't fit your bill.

I'm sure in my youth, we had more definite seasons but it's more akin 9 months winter, 3 months bad weather lately. We do get snow on the mountains so skiing is an option (only 45 miles to go from snowless sea to snowy mountains from my area). There are a few seasonal outdoor rinks dotted round Scotland.

I can't recall when we last had a decent white Christmas! It feels very wrong when we do get a dry sunny Christmas day!

Yesterday, I was thinking about lume cubes and it was likely yourself that had sown the thought.   I wish DJI would build in a high intensity strobe LED!

Our daylight varies significantly - from about 7 hour to 17.5 hours of daylight across the year, with the sun only getting about 9.5 degrees above the horizon late December! You're not far off the same latitude from myself
2017-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-5 01:55
I'm sure in my youth, we had more definite seasons but it's more akin 9 months winter, 3 months bad weather lately. We do get snow on the mountains so skiing is an option (only 45 miles to go from snowless sea to snowy mountains from my area). There are a few seasonal outdoor rinks dotted round Scotland.

I can't recall when we last had a decent white Christmas! It feels very wrong when we do get a dry sunny Christmas day!

I can remember years, when it finally snowed on Christmas Eve... That meant Santas sleigh could travel.
But a brown Christmas? I have no recollection.
A friend in sunny California often sends me pics from home in the desert, that are funny looking to me.
I can't imagine their warm winters or limited seasonal changes. Plus the summer heat would not appeal to me...
Yes, it gets dark around 10:00pm in the summer here, but the sun sets much earlier in winter months. With the short days, it often stays dim, all day, especially with the cloud cover...
I have lived here pretty much my whole life, and am still not used to double negative digits on the thermometer. Funny thing is, when it reaches -40* C it's also -40* F. At that temperature even the mercury don't care anymore... Ha

Lume Cubes are awesome, with so many settings, and multiple strobe and power setting modes, the variety of light is amazing, to me. I like that the batteries are built in, and they charge through a USB port.
They aren't cheap, but very well made. Compared to some, or mostly all other LED lighting systems for our drones. And the mounts are very secure.  Really well designed. Some of the mods like DJI Ken here have them already. Not heard anyone complain about them. Aside from their price. But Cadillacs often cost more. ;-)

Yes, DJI should come out with a better long distance lighting system. That, would sell well, no doubt.

RedHotPoker

2017-11-5
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-5 02:49
I can remember years, when it finally snowed on Christmas Eve... That meant Santas sleigh could travel.
But a brown Christmas? I have no recollection.
A friend in sunny California often sends me pics from home in the desert, that are funny looking to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of snow again around Christmas. As you say, it seems strange not to have distinct seasons once you're accustomed to them. I would like to have more daylight in winter though

Hope if doesn't rain for most of the winter here - over the last few years there's been a lot of flooding.

We don't often get negative double digit temperatures but the one time I can recall (around 2010/2011) I was not prepared for the alien way water was behaving... getting my hand stuck to an aluminium tripod, having camera batteries misbehave and a car whose steering wheel and brakes were there in an advisory capacity only were just the start of the troubles

I'll ponder some more about the Lumecubes. I'm keen to see a better camera on whatever DJI brings out next in the Phantom range... maybe it will have better strobe lights too ;)
2017-11-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

That's impressive!  What kit do you need to do that?  Or is it software-generated?  I'd be interested to know.  There's a few places I'd like to film, but where flyover is not permitted.  A straight up-and-down from a carefully selected spot might not infringe the rules
2017-11-5
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2017-11-5 04:57
That's impressive!  What kit do you need to do that?  Or is it software-generated?  I'd be interested to know.  There's a few places I'd like to film, but where flyover is not permitted.  A straight up-and-down from a carefully selected spot might not infringe the rules

Thank you!

I'm using a Phantom 4 (not the Pro version), manually shooting a panorama of the ground and also using a D810 SLR on the ground to take a panorama of the sky (not necessarily at the same time as long as the conditions are similar). The two panoramas are merged together into a full 360 by 180. (it's easier said than done....!)

It's a useful technique for getting something worthwhile where choice of flying location is restricted.

2017-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2017-11-5 04:57

You can have a look at the various Lume Cube products here.
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html

I am happy that they came along, in time for me to enjoy them, on my Phantom 3 Pro.

There are a few other makers of lighting kits for our drones, but they are insignificant in comparison.

Sorry about that, I thought you were asking me, whoops. Ok, never mind.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-5 05:41
Thank you!

I'm using a Phantom 4 (not the Pro version), manually shooting a panorama of the ground and also using a D810 SLR on the ground to take a panorama of the sky (not necessarily at the same time as long as the conditions are similar). The two panoramas are merged together into a full 360 by 180. (it's easier said than done....!)

Which lens are you using on your Nikon D810? I presently have two lenses for mine.

The AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR

& AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR.

Who would have ever thought they'd have a lens with internal motor and video stabilization?

Nikon sure build wonderful tools for us amateur and all of those professional photographers.
I sure hope they can recover from the poor world economy, which kicked their ass.
Not to mention cell phone camera technology, which has most assuredly negatively effected their bottom line.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-5
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-5 09:44
Which lens ar you using on your Nikon D800? I presently have two lenses for mine.

The AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR

I've got too many lenses after 14 years of Nikon Acquisition Syndrome - would be embarrassed to list them!  The main ones I use are the 24-70mm F2.8, 14-24mm F2.8, 10.5mm fisheye, 24mm F4 perspective correction lens and the 70-200mm F2.8.

I'm rather worried about the DSLR market with phones taking over the needs or many. Even the software market around DSLRs is a moving target between buyouts (e.g. Nik which was central to Nikon Capture NX, purchased by Google and now DxO labs), subscription models and all the competition springing up harvest the disenfranchised!

It's really heartening to see that sales of the new D850 is booming but I heard recently that Nikon is closing down a factory in China due to poor compact camera sales. Rather a tough situation to be in...

As you say, fingers crossed Nikon can keep on innovating and adapt to the changes.
2017-11-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great 360!
2017-11-5
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you!
2017-11-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2017-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-5 12:47
I've got too many lenses after 14 years of Nikon Acquisition Syndrome - would be embarrassed to list them!  The main ones I use are the 24-70mm F2.8, 14-24mm F2.8, 10.5mm fisheye, 24mm F4 perspective correction lens and the 70-200mm F2.8.

I'm rather worried about the DSLR market with phones taking over the needs or many. Even the software market around DSLRs is a moving target between buyouts (e.g. Nik which was central to Nikon Capture NX, purchased by Google and now DxO labs), subscription models and all the competition springing up harvest the disenfranchised!

I suppose if Nikon ever does close the door, something like the Hasselblad X1D will be my next best choice. ;-)

But price wise, that would be a hassle... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-5
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-5 13:46
I suppose if Nikon ever does close the door, something like the Hasselblad X1D will be my next best choice. ;-)

But price wise, that would be a hassle... Ha

Indeed - nice camera! You can save a few bucks by getting the starter pack in the form of a field kit for a mere 17,500$
2017-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-5 14:05
Indeed - nice camera! You can save a few bucks by getting the starter pack in the form of a field kit for a mere 17,500$

Just $17,500? Nice. My '13 SpYder RS-S cost me $18,350.
What's another $20,000 with lens...and strap? Chuckles

I might have to buy a winning lotto ticket to accomplish all my goals.

Pick me 6 numbers between 1~49. Or slap me upside the head. Ha

I need some sense knocked into me. Or much more cents... ;-)

Isn't fine photography fun?

RedHotPoker

2017-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules