o(^-^)o
WOLF Y LOBO
lvl.1
Australia

Hi all

My setup, so we are clear:
Latest Updated DJI4
Ipad Mini 2 with GPS/SIM Card

I recently had a trip to the states (which turned out to be a total bust) and took the MP. I landed at LAX and went straight to AT&T and bought a US sim card for my iPad Mini so that the drone/remote control would have the best coverage opportunity possible.
Turned out to be a massive waste as there were so many places in California that you couldnt fly a drone OR worse, there were so many places in California that is an AT&T blackspot that coverage was so poor that I couldnt get a stable enough signal for the drone to actually fly it.

Now.

I am going to Europe for a week in 2 days and wanted your opinion on the best plan of action. Do I go to a Italian telecom store and get an Italian SIM card and put it in my iPad2 in the same way as I did in the states or do you have a better suggestion for filming while overseas?

Thanks
2017-11-4
Use props
DJEyeintheSky
lvl.1
New Zealand

Whos your default Carrier in Australia anyways? id get in contact with them about it and they will be able to sort a plan for you
2017-11-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
France

Why do you need a sim card. You can fly in airplane mode!
2017-11-4
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Yeah I'm confused why you wanted a sim for flying your drone, you don't need a mobile signal.
2017-11-5
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Yeah! What's up with that and who tell you that you needed a SIM card?
2017-11-5
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Defo don't need a sim. Use hotel wifi to cache your maps of the flying area you want in the background. When you come to fly, the map should be there for you to use. I always fly with cached maps and never needed a sim.
2017-11-5
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

If you install the off line maps for Europe in de DJI app you do not need a sim card.
2017-11-5
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

If you like to buy a sim card the best you can buy is a Prepaid Vodafone card , I have the same card and is working everywhere in Europe.
Bat like CoreyB10 says i also use all the maps off-line and don’t have any problem with that.
I have the card in case off.
2017-11-5
Use props
WOLF Y LOBO
lvl.1
Australia

ahh ok, Airplane mode? Whats that ?  What have I missed here ?
Download cached maps ?

Clearly I have been doing this he HARD way - havent I.
Apologies.
2017-11-5
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

WOLF Y LOBO Posted at 2017-11-5 15:03
ahh ok, Airplane mode? Whats that ?  What have I missed here ?
Download cached maps ?

You put your phone ore tablet into airplane mode through the setting so it cannot make data 3G – 4G or Wi-Fi connections.
The same thing you have to do when you travel on an airplane.

Off line maps are the maps you can download though the DJI app before you leave on your travel.
So you can download the maps of the country’s where you go and then use them without any connection of data on the phone.
Hope this will help you to understand the off-line maps and airplane mode.
2017-11-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

You don't really need the internet during flying. But I will suggest that you check the No Fly Zone previously, and if you use an iOS device, you can cache the map first, enable "Cache Map in the Background", navigate the map to the destination you would go, when the names show, the cache finished. You can shut down the internet and check the map again.
Besides, please make sure that the app is in login status, or you are not able to fly if you don't have internet access at that time.
And I also hope other users can help to give you more ideas.
2017-11-6
Use props
WOLF Y LOBO
lvl.1
Australia

thanks very much to all - this has opened a whole new side of the MP for me.
Man I'm such a noob !
2017-11-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You don't need a SIM card to fly a drone.
Also "europe" isn't a country.  If you want mobile data you'll find it far cheaper buying a pay and go sim in each country you visit.
2017-11-6
Use props
WOLF Y LOBO
lvl.1
Australia

I do do the pay as you go sim in each country but thought there had to be a better way.
on th DJIGO4 app I'm using on my iPad there is no offline maps as there is on the android clips on YT - any ideas ?
2017-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules