‘Terrain Follow’ intelligent flight mode. Seems pointless.
4149 6 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3513835 ft
United States

I see almost no need to follow the terrain uphill. Downhill, now that would be fantastic. Why is this not an option? Are the bottom sensors not capable? Is it a safety concern of some sort? Flying downhill chasing action is extremely difficult, but oh so cool. Downhill terrain follow would make this type of shot so much easier. I did hear somewhere that after you set the terrain follow height, if you then fly over downhill terrain while pushing the left stick all the way down it will never go lower than than the height you set. Is this true? If so, I could probably make that work, but I am currently in flat Florida and cannot test this theory. Anyone know?
2017-11-4
Use props
Bernoullis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4938 ft
United Kingdom

The Mavic user manual (v1.8) seems to be very particular about stating that downhill Terrain Follow Mode will not work, which is a shame, as you say.  Quite why, I do not know, but some of the experienced Mavic/DJI operators here may have the answer.

"Terrain Follow Mode
The Downward Vision System is utilized in Terrain Follow Mode to maintain a height above ground between 1 and 13 meters. This mode is designed for use on grassland sloped at no more than 20 degrees.
Enable the Terrain Follow Mode by tapping the Intelligent Flight Mode icon in the DJI GO 4 app. When this mode is enabled, the aircraft’s current height will be recorded. The aircraft will maintain the recorded height during flight and ascend when the slope rises. However, the aircraft will not descend in downward slopes.
  • It is important that you only fly in conditions where the Vision Position System can function correctly; otherwise the Terrain Follow Mode will not work."

2017-11-5
Use props
willcub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7661588 ft
United Kingdom

My Mavic will fly downhill following the terrain, as long as you pull the pitch stick back, it should not fly lower than the set height.
2017-11-5
Use props
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
United States

willcub Posted at 2017-11-5 11:25
My Mavic will fly downhill following the terrain, as long as you pull the pitch stick back, it should not fly lower than the set height.

Sweet. Glad to hear that’s true.
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The aircraft will not descend in downward slopes in the concern of flight safety. And like 3# mentioned, the user can pull down the throttle stick and push the pitch or roll stick to fly the aircraft.
2017-11-6
Use props
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-6 01:03
The aircraft will not descend in downward slopes in the concern of flight safety. And like 3# mentioned, the user can pull down the throttle stick and push the pitch or roll stick to fly the aircraft.

I fly where there are no people or structures. What is unsafe about this? Dji needs to stop catering to the safety of beginner flyers. There are situations where autonomous downhill flight is perfectly safe even if things go wrong.
2017-11-7
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

Use Active Track Profile mode for downhill action shot
2017-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules