Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
‘High Wind Velocity’ warning. Does more harm than good.
8033 36 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3513835 ft
United States

I get this warning nearly every flight even it light wind. In fact, I’ve never gotten the warning in any wind the Mavic couldn’t handle. Two problems with this warning. First, it is so frequent it’s like the boy who cried wolf and now I completely ignore it defeating its purpose. Second, the stupid warning box doesn’t go away on its own requiring you to take one hand off the stick to close it out potentially ruining your shot and it has such a tiny ‘x’ to hit to close that I often miss which sometimes causes the camera to refocus on the area near the warning box also potentially ruining the shot. More experienced pilots should be given a way to turn this off. Anyone agree or have a different opinion?
2017-11-4
Use props
fans61699a75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

1000 %
Dji ?get rid of this stupid message. As written above , it really makes no sense and only irritates
2017-11-4
Use props
Bernoullis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4938 ft
United Kingdom

I don't seem to have had the wind warning issue that you describe, just occasional warnings when the wind is quite strong and blustery.  But then I don't allow the Mavic to go very far at all, horizontally, in such conditions.

The consideration in strong winds is that people often forget how much battery power will be consumed to fly the Mavic back to where they want it to be (to themselves, or to the original take-off point) when the Mavic has to is work against a strong headwind.  It is very easy for the Mavic to end up quite a distance away, when it has had a strong tailwind to get there, but less easy to get it back against what is now a strong headwind, particularly if battery power is at the low end.  That may have been be part of DJI's thinking when creating the warning.

In fact, there is ample evidence all over the web that UAV owners constantly disregard local laws regarding distance and altitude when flying their craft.  Add to that little or no thought about the effect of wind and the result is often loss or a crash of the craft.  Unfortunately, the many fools who don't bother with the regulations are often the ones who won't bother reading the manual or even thinking about wind effect, so perhaps DJI can be forgiven for overplaying the warnings?

I am relatively new to machines like the Mavic, so I am currently very careful about how, where and when I use it, although I do have a little experience of briefly flying good, old-fashioned RC fixed-wing model aircraft over 30 years ago.  I am also a professional aircraft pilot, so risk assessment is hopefully part of my routine.  I am not implying that you don't conduct your own risk assessment when flying the Mavic, but I haven't had the wind warning issues that you seem to have had.  
2017-11-5
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I too only get the warning occasionally. What people forget, me included is that the wind aloft can be and usually is very different than the wind at ground or tree top level.
2017-11-5
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I often get it. I believe there is a way to change the amount at which the warning comes up at. But I'll have to find the website.
2017-11-5
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

Is it possible we have to close the warning box as that is dji’s way of saying you accept the warning. If it went away itself and we subsequently crashed, our defence to dji refresh claim would be we never saw the warning...
2017-11-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ll never seen it to be a problem, a little irritating but a good thing to have. But like you I’m curious if it can be limited.
2017-11-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a way to get rid of the “wind warning” google “digdat0”
2017-11-5
Use props
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
United States

GrahamG Posted at 2017-11-5 03:19
Is it possible we have to close the warning box as that is dji’s way of saying you accept the warning. If it went away itself and we subsequently crashed, our defence to dji refresh claim would be we never saw the warning...

Makes sense.
2017-11-5
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-11-5 04:03
There is a way to get rid of the “wind warning” google “digdat0”

Great info, gives many different mods and parameter settings if you d/load the playlist.
Thanks
2017-11-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The wind warning doesn't bother me, now the Sport mode warning box is infuriating.  
2017-11-5
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Out of my 51 flights so far, I've only had this warning pop up twice, and both warranted. Both times the winds were at about 6-7ms with gusts up to 12ms at 100m altitude (UAV Forecars app is great for taking altitude  winds into account). On both occasions the warning alerted me to the fact that Mavic was struggling with the head-wind (I believe it uses RPM vs ground speed to to calculate when its close to the limit). However, in such conditions I take care to fly out into the wind, and am confident that I can return with the wind.
2017-11-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-5 06:06
Great info, gives many different mods and parameter settings if you d/load the playlist.
Thanks

Yesterday I flew my mavic on a very windy, I also flew very high and encountered winds over 40 mph, I new it was over 40 because my mavic will go 45 in sport mode and even at full throttle I could make no head way into the wind. I almost lost her but at least I know the mavic will handle heavy winds...
2017-11-5
Use props
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-11-5 09:43
Yesterday I flew my mavic on a very windy, I also flew very high and encountered winds over 40 mph, I new it was over 40 because my mavic will go 45 in sport mode and even at full throttle I could make no head way into the wind. I almost lost her but at least I know the mavic will handle heavy winds...

40 mph! That’s incredible. In your case the wind warning sounds appropriate. I have two Mavics that suffer the constant warnings when not necessary.
2017-11-5
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yellow warning scrolls at the top if it's really getting more serious, but still no need to panic and it reverts to green after a minute or so if wind subsides.
I agree it would be better if the red box just popped up briefly and closed itself - may not be possible.
2017-11-5
Use props
Airbus350XWB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 705768 ft
Indonesia

Maybe after you get your focus you can switch to manual focus... i have had ruined shot too because of this incidental re-focus on my tiny phone screen...switch to MF helped me.
2017-11-5
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-11-5 00:55
I too only get the warning occasionally. What people forget, me included is that the wind aloft can be and usually is very different than the wind at ground or tree top level.

I agree, it is a great reminder that the wind is stronger above us.
2017-11-5
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I've gotten it about 5 times, and I was surprised each time because the wind didn't seem that strong.  But, as said above, winds at ground level can be much lighter than winds aloft.
2017-11-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I cant see an issue.  Its a 2 stage warning and warns you that winds aloft might be stronger than they are on the ground.  The lower warning you can finish filming then close if you really want to get rid of it.
The higher level warning comes at a time where the craft IS going to struggle to make headway against it so from a user point of view, very useful.
It serves as an aid to situational awareness and ive got no problem with it.
2017-11-5
Use props
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-11-5 18:20
I cant see an issue.  Its a 2 stage warning and warns you that winds aloft might be stronger than they are on the ground.  The lower warning you can finish filming then close if you really want to get rid of it.
The higher level warning comes at a time where the craft IS going to struggle to make headway against it so from a user point of view, very useful.
It serves as an aid to situational awareness and ive got no problem with it.

Never needed a warning with my P3P and I fly in very unpredictable winds on the ocean and in the mountains. Plus in sport mode u get the warning because your flying fast and, I guess, mimicking high wind conditions. It really seems like the warnings are more to protect beginner flyers. Hence why I wish there was a way to disable this unneeded warning for more experienced pilots.
2017-11-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I like having the warnings, but agree the need to dismiss them takes your attention away from flying and seems counter-productive for that reason.

Perhaps a cleaner and less disruptive method of getting the message across could be if the warnings appeared with sound and vibration alerts to ensure you notice, then fade out after a few seconds to clear your screen?

2017-11-5
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. There are many drone pilots who seem to have no idea that the wind higher up can be much stronger than on the ground and they should take notice of the wind warning. I don't think it is a good idea to promote ignoring it. It is just another safety feature. I think your reasoning that you have to take your hand off the stick to get rid of it is a bit lame as the warning notice doesn't really intrude on the screen and will eventually  disappear.Your title that it does more harm than good is not accurate as your promotion of ignoring it is what will do more harm.
2017-11-5
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-5 20:44
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. There are many drone pilots who seem to have no idea that the wind higher up can be much stronger than on the ground and they should take notice of the wind warning. I don't think it is a good idea to promote ignoring it. It is just another safety feature. I think your reasoning that you have to take your hand off the stick to get rid of it is a bit lame as the warning notice doesn't really intrude on the screen and will eventually  disappear.Your title that it does more harm than good is not accurate as your promotion of ignoring it is what will do more harm.

totally agree with u
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

When the Mavic Pro detects that the current wind speed is higher than 6 m/s, this warning will pop up, please fly with caution when it appears. Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air.
And we don't suggest flying it when the wind speed exceeds 10m/s.
2017-11-6
Use props
Boston_H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2854 ft
New Zealand

Somewhere in the settings you can turn it off.
2017-11-6
Use props
szh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 252139 ft
France

I do not get this frequently.

The other day I got this warning, but the wind didn't seem overly strong at ground level, and the drone seemed to handle fine.

After a while, I went up to 150 m (max allowed here), pointed the camera downwards, and it became clear that the drone was drifting in one direction, with no possibility to counteract it.  It was clearly the wind.  After descending, it handled fine again.

Later that day the winds did get extremely strong (40+ km/h by the evening with 70+ km/h gusts).  Thus, during that morning flight, the warning was actually quite correct, despite the fact that the wind seemed fine on the ground and the weather report looked fine too (for that hour of the day).
2017-11-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Ive never seen it triggered by sport mode.

Its quite possibly to have calm or low winds on the ground then hit shear as you ascend to an altitude, particularly if close to a valley or other sort of funnel.  Its quite possible to get areas of 20-30kts difference. Often they're completely undetectable from the ground.  Having a direct indication of the wind affecting the drone is very useful.  No matter how good you are (i laugh at people using the word "pilot" and "experienced pilot" for a fully automated RC toy is even worse) you're not psychic.  Whats the problem with a warning that (i) doesn't interfere and you can close anyway and (ii) a warning that doesn't interfere with the screen that only comes up in conditions where the drone is going to struggle operating against?  The warning doesn't prevent the user from actually doing anything.
2017-11-6
Use props
Iceman Cometh
lvl.2
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-11-6 15:07
Ive never seen it triggered by sport mode.

Its quite possibly to have calm or low winds on the ground then hit shear as you ascend to an altitude, particularly if close to a valley or other sort of funnel.  Its quite possible to get areas of 20-30kts difference. Often they're completely undetectable from the ground.  Having a direct indication of the wind affecting the drone is very useful.  No matter how good you are (i laugh at people using the word "pilot" and "experienced pilot" for a fully automated RC toy is even worse) you're not psychic.  Whats the problem with a warning that (i) doesn't interfere and you can close anyway and (ii) a warning that doesn't interfere with the screen that only comes up in conditions where the drone is going to struggle operating against?  The warning doesn't prevent the user from actually doing anything.

Easy killer, no need to pretend to be a tough guy. I’m well aware I’m not a ‘real’ pilot, but I do have a lot hrs flying these things. My point was I get the warning all the time. I wouldn’t mind the warning at all if it only popped up when the wind was going to be an issue.
2017-11-7
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-6 00:21
When the Mavic Pro detects that the current wind speed is higher than 6 m/s, this warning will pop up, please fly with caution when it appears. Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air.
And we don't suggest flying it when the wind speed exceeds 10m/s.

Which is for us Yankee's the warning will trigger @ 13.4216mph ( Which I consider a light breeze ) and max wind at altitude ( or anytime during flight ) is 22.3694 mph and maybe when an incident/accident may be denied by DJI as pilot error.
2017-11-7
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Iceman Cometh Posted at 2017-11-7 09:38
Easy killer, no need to pretend to be a tough guy. I’m well aware I’m not a ‘real’ pilot, but I do have a lot hrs flying these things. My point was I get the warning all the time. I wouldn’t mind the warning at all if it only popped up when the wind was going to be an issue.

I’m well aware I’m not a ‘real’ pilot

Actually, the FAA and various dictionaries say that you are; it's just the occasional internet character attempting to stroke his own ego who claims differently.
2017-11-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

GrahamG Posted at 2017-11-5 03:19

2017-11-7
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

The wind warnings have saved me a few times from making a bad flight choice... would be super nice to see a 1-10 scale or similar or green, yellow red type of wind rating with the warning as when I get the warning and consider the loss of the drone as a possibility I choose not to fly. I also ask my Google Android phone "is it going to be windy today?" and it will respond with wind speeds for the day.
2017-11-26
Use props
Thunderbirdsarego
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10476 ft
Australia

some people have no idea...they need all the pop ups they can get.
2018-10-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft

Woe Posted at 2017-11-5 03:24
I’ll never seen it to be a problem, a little irritating but a good thing to have. But like you I’m curious if it can be limited.

I’ With you Woe, it really doesn’t bother me.
2018-10-13
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

My warning is just working fine, it only comes up when the wind is really whipping around and I can almost tell when it is about to come out with the message.  Other than that it works, calibrate your chit!
2018-10-13
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

I live in a place where the wind is usually blowing. So 15 or 20 MPH is about as calm as it gets for us, and that's when I fly. It's usually calmer here at night, but I don't fly at night. Wind warning message pops up continually as fast as I can cancel it on most flights. I'd like if wind velocity message would pop up at 35 or 40 MPH, when the drone is in real trouble. Then I'd know to land and get out of the wind. Would be real cool if the wind velocity message triggered more easily when the drone was farther away. Would also be beneficial if it was smart enough to recognize the difference between head and tailwind relative to home.      
2018-10-15
Use props
Seu Pereira
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8620407 ft
Brazil

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-11-26 06:27
The wind warnings have saved me a few times from making a bad flight choice... would be super nice to see a 1-10 scale or similar or green, yellow red type of wind rating with the warning as when I get the warning and consider the loss of the drone as a possibility I choose not to fly. I also ask my Google Android phone "is it going to be windy today?" and it will respond with wind speeds for the day.

I would love the scale.

With Mavic Mini it pops up all the time, I have to ignore it otherwise just can't fly.

Today it has just showed up at Mavic Pro. I got worried. It says for me to land ASAP but when I got at lower altitude it didn't went away (the message).

At mini it goes away when the wind gets weaker.
2021-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules