9830 25 2017-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Koshen_Bz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11877 ft
Ukraine

Hi there!

Guys, does anyone fly through cloud? I found one trouble, when my spark in cloud - I can't land, seems like sensors are blinded by the fog, so drone says that it is near the ground (H 0.0m). What should I do in this situation? How to get back my drone from clouds?
2017-11-5
Use props
BobD
lvl.3
Germany

Already discussed please do a forum search.
2017-11-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Flying in clouds is definitely not advisable (also explained in the user manual). If it happens you can try to fly out of them upwards and sidewards and then land the AC. Or you simply wait until the battery is empty ;-)  (sorry, couldn't resist...)
2017-11-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

With hope that the cloud is not to sick and that the spark can get through it, in auto landing mode with enough juice in the battery, to "sport" the bird dry and fly it back and down before the battery says "landing only".
2017-11-5
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

If you must:
I earlier suggested covering the bottom sensors before flight. (with black electrician tape).
It will fly normally when up in the air.
The bottom sensors have most use for flying without gps (indoor) and for automatic landing.
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ignore the post about covering your sensors with black tape, flying in clouds is the same as flying in water and water and electronics just don’t mix, yes some have had problems with incorrect readings if your flying in or above clouds you risk hitting something that might be up there you risk causing damage to your spark and you risk loosing your craft all together.
2017-11-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

heliman Posted at 2017-11-5 03:31
If you must:
I earlier suggested covering the bottom sensors before flight. (with black electrician tape).
It will fly normally when up in the air.

Great advice.
2017-11-5
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

As mentioned here before it is highly recommended not to fly during fog or through clouds, do not block any of the AC sensors before flight and in case you get caught up in some fog or cloud situation the best option is to land the drone ASAP...  
2017-11-5
Use props
Rubik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1224921 ft
United Kingdom

You are so lucky you can reach the clouds.. obviously not in the UK.
2017-11-5
Use props
Lunis
New
Flight distance : 13711 ft
Sweden

Rubik Posted at 2017-11-5 08:13

Apart from fog you may encounter clouds if taking off from a very high point, like the top of a high hill/plateau/building etc. But since this trick will raise the de facto altitude between the Spark and the ground, your point still stands. A height greater than 120m is almost always needed to see any clouds. At the DJI limit of 500m there are cloulds to be found fairly often.

Cheers!
2017-11-5
Use props
Lunis
New
Flight distance : 13711 ft
Sweden

Rubik Posted at 2017-11-5 08:13

Apart from fog you may encounter clouds if taking off from a very high point, like the top of a high hill/plateau/building etc. But since this trick will raise the de facto altitude between the Spark and the ground, your point still stands. A height greater than 120m is almost always needed to see any clouds. At the DJI limit of 500m there are cloulds to be found fairly often.

Cheers!
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Koshen, I would not recommend you fly in fog or cloud. It will have a bad influence on the vision sensor.Please check more details in the following picture.
3D sensor.PNG
Flight environment.PNG
2017-11-5
Use props
fansdcc0ce23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 409478 ft
United States

Very difficult to achieve.  But did get amazing raw footage.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_rmFmF2_PP0WjZfZFZJY0tVQjA/view?usp=drivesdk
2017-11-5
Use props
fansdcc0ce23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 409478 ft
United States

fansdcc0ce23 Posted at 2017-11-5 19:54
Very difficult to achieve.  But did get amazing raw footage.

2017-11-5
Use props
Koshen_Bz
lvl.2
Ukraine

Thanks everyone for reply, but it is not only about clouds/fog, it is about all environment which can trick spark sensors. Smoke, gun smoke, dust etc.  There is no something like manual landing or full manual control?
2017-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never do it!
2017-11-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Fully agree!
2017-11-8
Use props
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

Under FAA standards you should always be far away from clouds. I believe the FAA states 500ft below and 2000ft Horizontally.
2017-11-8
Use props
Koshen_Bz
lvl.2
Ukraine

Ok guys, can you, please, read again my answer?

"Thanks everyone for reply, but it is not only about clouds/fog, it is about all environment which can trick spark sensors. Smoke, gun smoke, dust etc.  There is no something like manual landing or full manual control?"
2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Koshen_Bz Posted at 2017-11-10 23:10
Ok guys, can you, please, read again my answer?

"Thanks everyone for reply, but it is not only about clouds/fog, it is about all environment which can trick spark sensors. Smoke, gun smoke, dust etc.  There is no something like manual landing or full manual control?"

Many users reflected that spark could not land when it was in fog. It is hard to control your spark when its vision system become malfunction. And the unexpected result will more likely to happen.
2017-11-10
Use props
Koshen_Bz
lvl.2
Ukraine

Yesterday I had experience to fly in light fog again with vision about 400-600m and guess what? Even in that tiny little for it was very hard to land spark, it indicates that H is 0m in almost clear vision.

Sad
2017-11-15
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

I tend to try and avoid those situations. If it's not clear enough to fly, then I'm not, because I don't want to lose my investment.
2017-11-15
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

In any case it is a serious flaw that the spark, even by a skilled pilot, can’t quickly descend down through haze or fog before the battery runs out.
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Koshen_Bz Posted at 2017-11-15 03:31
Yesterday I had experience to fly in light fog again with vision about 400-600m and guess what? Even in that tiny little for it was very hard to land spark, it indicates that H is 0m in almost clear vision.

Sad

Please avoid testing again in fog. I would recommend you fly in recommended environment and good weather. Hope you have fun next time.
2017-11-15
Use props
djiuser_JGR7QyRabO1b
lvl.1

Hungary

I flew my Spark yesterday into the fog until everything was white on my screen (about 50-60 meters) and DJI Go 4 said the down sensors are not okay and after i clicked OK they turned off. Even when I landed safely on the ground the screen does not showed how close is the drone to the ground.
2019-2-11
Use props
djiuser_JGR7QyRabO1b
lvl.1

Hungary

I flew my Spark yesterday into the fog until everything was white on my screen (about 50-60 meters) and DJI Go 4 said the down sensors are not okay and after i clicked OK they turned off. Even when I landed safely on the ground the screen does not showed how close is the drone to the ground.
2019-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules