Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all!

I know for sure this has been talked about in these forums but there's no easy way of searching through them.

What is in your opinion the best online course to study for the Part 107 test. Again, the best, not the cheapest lol. Thanks!
2017-11-6
Use props
Timned88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 470955 ft
United States

I am looking for this information as well. Hopefully we get some answers quickly!
2017-11-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I'm not knocking those pay sites but all i did was use youtube videos and skimmed through the FAA site and i passed missing 11 or 83%.

I may study different than a lot of people. I took a lot of practice tests also. Be sure to study the metars and tafs for the weather and also the sectional charts.

It's not that hard if this 62 yo man can do it. Think i messed with it for a month is all before i took the test.
Watch this a couple times will get you started and GOOD LUCK! https://northrup.photo/free-faa- ... cation-study-guide/
2017-11-6
Use props
Timned88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 470955 ft
United States

Where did you find the practice tests?
2017-11-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Timned88@gmail. Posted at 2017-11-6 16:04
Where did you find the practice tests?

sorry i changed the link. The new link has the same video and practice tests and lots of other info
2017-11-6
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-6 16:06
sorry i changed the link. The new link has the same video and practice tests and lots of other info

Awesome guide!! I will definetly use it to study!!! Thank you so much!
2017-11-6
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Too bad there isn't a place to take the test online.
2017-11-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-11-6 17:53
Awesome guide!! I will definetly use it to study!!! Thank you so much!

A couple more things........the test is a little different than the practice tests, even the one(s) at the FAA site. So study study study. Also i think this app is both Android and iOS but i didn't get it till after i passed but is a good one for studying. I think it was $5 and is well worth it https://play.google.com/store/ap ... nrobotix.labs&hl=en
2017-11-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-11-6 18:45

I doubt that will happen. They have cameras on you while taking the test. They don't want any cheating.
2017-11-7
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Remote Pilot 101 is a highly informative course.  True, you have to pay to enter the course, but that one time payment will enter you for life, which is good considering you have to retake the exam biennially.  As an added bonus, the instructor updates his videos as new information becomes available to keep the course up to date.
2017-11-7
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-7 04:52
I doubt that will happen. They have cameras on you while taking the test. They don't want any cheating.

Yup, no cell phones, cheat sheets, they provide calculator, had to ask for a magnifying glass to read some of the Sectional Charts, damn print is so small. Takes about 10 business days for your test results to be entered into FAA database, then you have to apply to the FAA, after application it took around a month and a half to get the actual license.
2017-11-7
Use props
rshah921
Second Officer
United States

Is the part 107 required?
2017-11-7
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

rshah921 Posted at 2017-11-7 06:40
Is the part 107 required?

It is required if you plan to use your drone for commercial purposes (making money with drone). it is illegal to do so without the Part 107 Cert.

Fly Safe!
2017-11-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2017-11-7 06:56
It is required if you plan to use your drone for commercial purposes (making money with drone). it is illegal to do so without the Part 107 Cert.

Fly Safe!

It is required if you plan to use your drone for commercial purposes (making money with drone).

That's true, but it's more accurate to say that you need to be 107 certified if you plan to fly it for anything other than recreational (and some educational) purposes. The "if you plan to make money" thing creates confusion because some people incorrectly think they might not need to be certified if they aren't receiving money as a result of the flight.
2017-11-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-7 10:06
It is required if you plan to use your drone for commercial purposes (making money with drone).

That's true, but it's more accurate to say that you need to be 107 certified if you plan to fly it for anything other than recreational (and some educational) purposes. The "if you plan to make money" thing creates confusion because some people incorrectly think they might not need to be certified if they aren't receiving money as a result of the flight.

Can you give us an example of when we would need the Part 107 license while not making money out of the flight? I was also under the impression that any flight were I was not making money was recreational.
2017-11-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-11-7 11:37
Can you give us an example of when we would need the Part 107 license while not making money out of the flight? I was also under the impression that any flight were I was not making money was recreational.

Can you give us an example of when we would need the Part 107 license while not making money out of the flight?

The thread I linked to would be one example, a farmer using his drone to look for his own livestock would be another, and search and rescue would be yet another.

I was also under the impression that any flight were I was not making money was recreational.

I'm not surprised since that information gets repeated a lot, but making money off the flight isn't what determines whether a 107 certification is needed.
2017-11-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Actually people that make drone flying videos and post them to youtube and Google compensates them for it then they should be 107 certified...........they are getting paid in an around about way.
I don't think the FAA has gone after any of them but they would have a field day if they did. I'm sure a large amount of them are not 107 certified.
This could get ugly lol
2017-11-7
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-11-7 11:37

Flying in Class "B" airspace requires a Part 107 Waiver.
2017-11-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-7 12:09
Actually people that make drone flying videos and post them to youtube and Google compensates them for it then they should be 107 certified...........they are getting paid in an around about way.
I don't think the FAA has gone after any of them but they would have a field day if they did. I'm sure a large amount of them are not 107 certified.
This could get ugly lol

Actually people that make drone flying videos and post them to youtube and Google compensates them for it then they should be 107 certified

Yes, and that's probably why the misleading "if you make money" litmus test gets repeated so often: because the discussion often comes up in the context of someone who's posted a drone video on YouTube, in which case it's typically a relevant distinction.

The FAA did investigate Casey Neistat after numerous complaints but decided there wasn't enough evidence against him.
2017-11-7
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-11-6 18:45

I second that! Closest place to take the test to here is over an hour away. I've  already passed it but have several friends that are studying for it currently - plus I'll need to renew in another year and a half or so.
2017-11-7
Use props
djiuser_nh8R0DWZdXMB
New

United States

TN Lone Wolf Posted at 2017-11-7 06:23
Remote Pilot 101 is a highly informative course.  True, you have to pay to enter the course, but that one time payment will enter you for life, which is good considering you have to retake the exam biennially.  As an added bonus, the instructor updates his videos as new information becomes available to keep the course up to date.

Considering taking this course. I've already studied for a few hours but so much of this stuff is just hazy. Would you recommend it to pass the test?
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-7 04:52
I doubt that will happen. They have cameras on you while taking the test. They don't want any cheating.

As long as cameras are on Mavic drones...
2018-6-7
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-6 15:58
I'm not knocking those pay sites but all i did was use youtube videos and skimmed through the FAA site and i passed missing 11 or 83%.

I may study different than a lot of people. I took a lot of practice tests also. Be sure to study the metars and tafs for the weather and also the sectional charts.

Thank you for the information and insight!

Jeff
2018-6-7
Use props
djiuser_4sbVYEQBHzpS
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-7 11:49
Can you give us an example of when we would need the Part 107 license while not making money out of the flight?

The thread I linked to would be one example, a farmer using his drone to look for his own livestock would be another, and search and rescue would be yet another.

Another example: You have a family member that is a realtor, and you do them a favor (with no compensation involved) and fly and record a video around a property listed on the market and just gave the  family member/realtor the vid. That is covered under the "Furtherance of a business" in the 107.

I just learned this... it's why I am studying up!
2020-5-15
Use props
Chief Mole
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13415 ft
United States

At this time, the only reason that I'm even considering getting a 107 is to assist in SAR in my county. If my understanding of the legalese is correct, a pilot is required to have a 107 prior to flying any "Public" craft.
2020-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules