Ipad mini 4
1605 17 2017-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

Im sure this has been brought up but Im new need help. Looking to order the Mavic pro platinum this week but want to also buy a Ipad mini 4. I dont want to pay for celluar but want the GPS. What do I do buy one with cealluar but not with a carrer?

I see some on ebay that are un locked with celluar is that what I need?

Also would a 16 gig be fine or should I get a 32 gig?

Thanks in advance for the help
2017-11-6
Use props
blshaw45
lvl.2
Flight distance : 287228 ft
United States

Don't need cellular to get GPS. I use a 16 Gb iPad Mini 4 w/o cellular with my controller and it's a perfect alternative to a smart phone.
2017-11-6
Use props
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

blshaw45 Posted at 2017-11-6 18:42
Don't need cellular to get GPS. I use an iPad Mini 4 w/o cellar with my controller and it's a perfect alternative to a smart phone.

will the follow me work? I still need to get the ipad mini 4 with cellear but just don't activate it?
2017-11-6
Use props
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

blshaw45 Posted at 2017-11-6 18:42
Don't need cellular to get GPS. I use an iPad Mini 4 w/o cellar with my controller and it's a perfect alternative to a smart phone.

do I need to down load maps at my house with wifi?
2017-11-6
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

look, mate, You are about to cache out a bag of money for MPP, don't  regret afterward for missing cellular data and GPS.
When I decide to go to iPad mini I both cheapest mini 2 WiFi and ended up replacing it with mini 4 cellular in a week - GPS is Very useful if You decide to change home point to Your location (i never use follow me), data is very important to me for map download - without it You can use tethering but it's more complicated.
But the decision is up to You!
2017-11-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Follow Me and refresh the current RC position won't work if the mobile device doesn't equip with GPS module.
But I think an Active Track will be a replacement of FM.
Yeah, I also think it is up to you which mobile device. Think other users might also help to give some references for you.
2017-11-6
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a Mavic a couple of months ago and was using my iPhone 6+ but decided to buy a iPad 4 to go with it.  I decided to go for the none cellular because it was around £100 cheaper.
I didn’t realise at the time that I wouldn’t be able to use the follow me mode or return to the return to controller function.
Before I go out and fly I load the map where I will be flying in case ther is no cellular coverage as I use my iPhone 6+ as a hot spot for my iPad.

I really with I had paid the extra now and gone for the cellular model.
2017-11-6
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flown all Phantoms I have had over the years and the Mavic & P4A as of now and never had any issues at all with the iPad Mini versions with wifi only - now on Mini 4. Best tablet for my personal use and just cache maps in the background before I fly as part of the planning process. It's each to their own 40buickcoupe. One person's opinion is different to the other. Doesn't effect GPS lock, connection or flight distance.
2017-11-6
Use props
blshaw45
lvl.2
United States

40buickcoupe Posted at 2017-11-6 18:55
will the follow me work? I still need to get the ipad mini 4 with cellear but just don't activate it?

All iPads have GPS, whether they have cellular or not. Follow me and all other features that are location-dependent use GPS, not cellular, so yes, follow me will work.
2017-11-7
Use props
blshaw45
lvl.2
United States

40buickcoupe Posted at 2017-11-6 18:56
do I need to down load maps at my house with wifi?

Yes, if you need maps at all.
2017-11-7
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

blshaw45 Posted at 2017-11-7 04:26
All iPads have GPS, whether they have cellular or not. Follow me and all other features that are location-dependent use GPS, not cellular, so yes, follow me will work.

I don't think WiFi only iPad has GPS, although it can show you were you are on the map. It has what is called a "digital compass" and "iBeacon Microlocation", but no GPS

here are the specs.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-4/specs/

that being said. I have a Mini4, WiFi only since I have an iPhone which I would use as a hotspot and use it if I every needed the GPS for "follow me". I cache my map in GO4 at home via WiFi before I go out to fly and so far this hasn't been an issue for me. I figured that if I ever had to I could use my phone as a hotspot to down load an updated map. I also didn't want to pay and extra cellular fee for the iPad. I haven't regretted my decision to go this route.
2017-11-7
Use props
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

Great info but I'm not a geek so lets see if I have it straight.
I was going to buy a Ipad 64 gig mini 4 with WiFi and cellular UNLOCKED not on any service. With this system do I still need to download maps? if so where do I do that and when you talk about maps for the area is it like state maps or county?
Then you talk about hotspot with my phone how does the drone know with that on your phone.
Also you talk about cache my maps in GO4?
Sorry I'm a bit from the older age and don't really understand all this but would love if someone could explain.
I really like the use of the Ipad as a display remember old eyes here

thanks again guys
2017-11-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If you don't have cellular, you will not be able to do the maps,, except at home on WIFI and store them.  For on-location map access, you'll need cellular data.
2017-11-7
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

IOS devices use cellular service as part of their GPS system. It's my understanding they can triangulate cell tower locations (iBeacon stuff), thus determine location. Its not like there is a GPS module in the iPad. I could be a little off with that, but that is how it was explained to me...

Most all IOS devices are unlocked now. This simply refers to the carriers networks that the device can work with. That is,  it it will work with most any major carrier, but you gotta pay for access to any carriers network, just like a cell phone. So "cellular unlocked but without any service" will not get you data, unless you are connected to WiFi, which the WiFi only model can do.

Then you talk about hotspot... If you want to connect to the internet for data with a WiFi only device, you can connect it to your cell phone. Read up on how to turn on your phones WiFi hotspot, then connect the iPad WiFi to the phone. The iPad will then have access to the Internet (data) without using WiFi...

I have iPad mini 2 WiFi only and never had a problem with Follow Me. I believe FM and Active Track are Visual based. That is, the camera can ID an object when you tap on it and "Lock On" to it. Nothing to do with GPS. I do regret not going with the Mini 4 just to have the power, but no need for cellular on any of them. I actually put the device in airplane mode when i fly (turns off all network access, cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth), just to help with resources...
2017-11-7
Use props
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for all the advice I found a mint condition Ipad mini 4 64 gig WiFi + Cellular unlocked for $285 comes with screen protector and case 3 months old. I can use this and if I decide to activate the cellular Verison told me its only $10 a month and I can turn that on and off when ever I want and they will only charge when it is on. This way I have it covered

thanks again for all the help
2017-11-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

blshaw45 Posted at 2017-11-7 04:26

I'm not so sure about that. As far as I read, the Wifi versions don't have GPS (at least that is stated by Apple and some webshops).
Now they could be wrong of course, but that would be rather stupid.
2017-11-7
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a mini 4 16 gig with cellular. Cellular is not avtive . Still have GPS. Take note that with the memory/storage so small this Ipad is dedicated to drone flying
2017-12-5
Use props
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

I actually ended up buy a near new Mini 4 128 gb WiFi and Cell with case new braided cable original box and manuals delivered 2 day for $400. Works great been using it for 3 weeks. I like the idea I decided to go with the 128 gb I can keep plenty of videos on here to show all the family and friends.
2017-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules