Phantom 3 std 4k Compass error on every flight
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zetorpilot
New
Flight distance : 955 ft
Finland

Hi Folks,
I bought a Phantom 3 Std 4k nearly a year ago. I haven't used it that much, but on every flight I'm getting "Compass Error - ATTI mode" at least once or twice.  Is this normal or do I have a problem?  It's very annoying in any case!  Today I was flying in a reasonably brisk wind, about 4 m/s, and this recurring compass problem made the drone useless for filming.

I have done the compass calibration thing before almost every flight - it doesn't help.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome, thanks!

- Z

2017-11-7
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sounds like you are calibrating your compass too much.  Never do it unless it is absolutely necessary.  Try moving to a different area, not far, and see if this helps.  Make sure you are in GPS mode too.
2017-11-7
Use props
Zetorpilot
New
Finland

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-7 08:27
Sounds like you are calibrating your compass too much.  Never do it unless it is absolutely necessary.  Try moving to a different area, not far, and see if this helps.  Make sure you are in GPS mode too.

Thanks!
However, for example today I *didn't* calibrate the compass before flight, and was in a location about 5km from where I usually fly.  It has always happened wherever I have flown, sometimes up to 350km away :/
Always happens, every single flight :/
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Zetorpilot Posted at 2017-11-7 08:35
Thanks!
However, for example today I *didn't* calibrate the compass before flight, and was in a location about 5km from where I usually fly.  It has always happened wherever I have flown, sometimes up to 350km away :/
Always happens, every single flight :/

It seems that you have a bad compass. How many satellites and how about the satellite quality when you met the warning?
2017-11-8
Use props
Zetorpilot
New
Finland

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-8 01:58
It seems that you have a bad compass. How many satellites and how about the satellite quality when you met the warning?

Hi Susan, thanks for your reply.

For example today I had 13 sattelites.  This morning I updated the firmware to see if that would help and it hasn't made any difference.

After warming up, the aircraft goes into P-GPS mode when ready for takeoff.  Then after a few seconds flight I get the Compass error - ATTI mode warning.   Sometimes the aircraft will go back into P-GPS mode by itself for a short while but keeps getting the compass errors and falling back to ATTI mode.

It isn't really useable for filming like this because I am too preoccupied by trying not to get blown into trees!

I raised a support ticket via email yesterday (823136).  As yet I haven't heard back but hopefully they will be able to help.   If it is a bad compass (which does seem likely to me too) is that something I can easily replace myself?  Would this be covered by the guarantee (the drone was bought new from a camera shop in March 2017)?

Thanks again
-Z
2017-11-8
Use props
N Ga Drone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90771 ft
United States

I had the same issue, there is a VERY easy fix.  Just find a magnet, any will do, doesn't have to be a strong one. Make some small circles around the compass with the magnet. Re calibrate the compass as normal and the problem will be gone.   I was having compass issues every flight until I found this trick, hasent happened since.   
2017-11-8
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

I have heard of this working in the past.  
2017-11-8
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Saw this a few months ago, but I am very skeptic.            http://www.vanavara-digital.com/collection/all/product/cfixer
2017-11-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Haha

Yeah I would use a 5 cent magnet and do as suggested in posts 6 and 7.   
2017-11-8
Use props
Zetorpilot
New
Finland

Thanks again everyone.   Well, I tried the magnet thing, and...   no difference unfortunately, it didn't help :/  but thanks, anyway!  It didn't cost anything to try
2017-11-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Zetorpilot Posted at 2017-11-8 04:18
Hi Susan, thanks for your reply.

For example today I had 13 sattelites.  This morning I updated the firmware to see if that would help and it hasn't made any difference.

Noted with thanks! I would suggest to send it in for diagnosis and repair as the drone is still in warranty period: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-11-14
Use props
Zetorpilot
New
Finland

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-14 01:41
Noted with thanks! I would suggest to send it in for diagnosis and repair as the drone is still in warranty period: http://www.dji.com/support

Thanks, yes, support have also suggested that I return my phantom to them for assessment and repair.  I have a case number now, and am just waiting for the shipping label.
Z
2017-11-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Zetorpilot Posted at 2017-11-22 05:07
Thanks, yes, support have also suggested that I return my phantom to them for assessment and repair.  I have a case number now, and am just waiting for the shipping label.
Z

Could you tell us your case number? We'd like to follow up the status and keep you posted, thanks!
2017-11-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Zetorpilot Posted at 2017-11-22 05:07
Z

Where do you take off from? Do you perhaps take off from the roof of a car, or perhaps a concrete pad?
2017-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules