Installing Zenmuse h3-3d on phantom 2 vision?
22074 29 2014-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dzubot
lvl.1
Canada

Does anyone know if I am able to convert the vision camera to a Zenmuse H3-3d and have FPV on my iphone app? Will I have tilt control ability?  
2014-10-21
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Hi, Both phantom 2 vison and phanton 2 vision plus are just like a complete piece of unit, it's not recommended to change it's gimbal and camera.
2014-10-21
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

What? Are you kidding me?
I took it for granted that it would work, if my v+ gimbal breaks i will not buy a new one. I thought of changing to another gimbal and buy a hero instead.
2014-10-22
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

If you want to change things like gimbal or camera, Phantom 2 is recommended.
2014-10-22
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2

Croatia

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-22 19:23

I thought i had a phantom 2???

So why is it? Because of sw?

Please explain, i want to know why.
2014-10-22
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

robbin.bergqvis Posted at 2014-10-23 01:06

I thought yours is a V+, and you mentioned. Please go to this link to check it: http://www.dji.com/products
2014-10-22
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

robbin.bergqvis Posted at 2014-10-23 01:06

I thought yours is a V+ as you mentioned. Please go to this link to check it: http://www.dji.com/products
2014-10-22
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2

Croatia

Yes i have a v+, but its still a phantom 2 right?
So why will it not work?
2014-10-23
Use props
uhayat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

Hi,
Is it possible, yes.
Is it recommended (or easy), no.
You will face a number of problems, first of all you would need to make a bigger hole in the shell to allow for the yaw motor clearance, you cant use the 5.8Ghz frequency for video since your RC is using that and a number of other issues, all discussed in the link below.
So Sophie is correct in saying that the basic design of the Vision series is not meant to be altered because of a number of reasons mentioned in the following link. But possible? Yes.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18549
2014-10-23
Use props
chrisrumz
New
United States

robbin.bergqvis Posted at 2014-10-23 17:53
Yes i have a v+, but its still a phantom 2 right?
So why will it not work?

The confusion here is that you're thinking the "Phantom 2" and the "Phantom 2 Vision or Vision Plus" are the same except for the camera/gimbal. This is NOT true. Just as stated by DJI, the "Phantom 2" (Not Vision or Vision Plus) can be used with other gimbals such as Zenmuse H3-3D, where the "Phantom 2 Vision and Vision Plus" require a proprietary camera/gimbal designed specifically for the "Phantom 2 Vision or Vision Plus"

That being said... and just as user UHAYAT stated before, it is not impossible to switch out the units... other third party companies may have a solution that you're looking for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTpuFLdJ2hU
2014-10-23
Use props
jklorenz94117
New

United States

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-22 19:23

DJI needs to make it more evident that the H3-3D gimbal is not compatible with the Phantom 2 Vision or other models.  It's not noted anywhere on their website, and lots of users would want to be able to use their GoPro cameras instead of the stock 2-axis gimbal.  I've wasted lots of time, energy, and money buying and attempting to install the H3-3D only to learn that I can't use it.  To top it off, their own staff can't offer a solution, but only say that it's "not recommended."  Thanks a lot.
2015-1-9
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Why would anybody buy a vision or vision+ only wanting to attach a H3-3D gimbal and gopro? Makes no sence at all. Sorry that you didn't find the information you needen before, but C'mon, this info is not hard to find.

If you bought a diesel car, but asked your dealer to convert it to use super petrol, they'd also tell you it's not possible. Would that also be their fault for not supplying a solution for you?

I find this compare sheet from the dji website pretty self explainable:
Phantom2_series.jpg
2015-1-10
Use props
tscheven
New

Canada

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 00:24
Why would anybody buy a vision or vision+ only wanting to attach a H3-3D gimbal and gopro? Makes no  ...

I think the answer to that is simple: 3-axis control. I have the Phantom Vision and am trying to figure out how to replace built-in 2-axis camera/gimbal with a 3-axis. I've seen a huge difference in video quality and "smoothness" that I personally prefer over what I can get now.
2015-1-19
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

tscheven Posted at 2015-1-20 05:13
I think the answer to that is simple: 3-axis control. I have the Phantom Vision and am trying to f ...

Hi,

yeah, I do know the benifits of a 3 axis gimbal. But you can not put a zenmuse H3-3D gimbal on a phantom vision. If you want a vision and a 3-axis gimbal you must get the new vision plus.
2015-1-19
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

tscheven Posted at 2015-1-20 05:13
I think the answer to that is simple: 3-axis control. I have the Phantom Vision and am trying to f ...

Hi,

yeah, I do know the benifits of a 3 axis gimbal. But you can not put a zenmuse H3-3D gimbal on a phantom vision. If you want a vision and a 3-axis gimbal you must get the new vision plus.
2015-1-19
Use props
drone.email
lvl.4

United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-20 05:20
Hi,

yeah, I do know the benifits of a 3 axis gimbal. But you can not put a zenmuse H3-3D gimbal o ...

So again the Vision+ series can use a use a Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro and have FPV with the Vision app, but its not cheap. The Dronexpert Quickrelease system cost about $400+.

Why would a person want to use this setup? If you had a GoPro camera and crashed this system it would be about the same price as a replacement Vision plus gimbal/camera. If you crashed again and damaged the gimbal/camera would be less than half the cost for repair the second time if only the GoPro or the Zenmuse was damaged.

Also if you want to fly the Phantom without a gimbal/camera and you had a Quickrelease you can just remove them. The Phantom will still fly and you could still use the Vision app to view the Phantom's telemetry.  This appeals to me as maybe there is something else I might want to carry on the Phantom instead of a camera.
The Quickrelease works with either the Phantom Zenmuse or the standard one.  You can also use other cameras if you order a different sleeve. I ordered a Quickrelease as I have a Hero3 Black that I want to try out on the Phantom. I will have both the Vision+ sleeve and the Zenmuse sleeve so I be able to swap between either the GoPro or Vison+ cameras in a few seconds.

One day I hope that thermal cameras come down in price so I can mount one on my Phantom Vision+. Dronexpert supports that too but it is a lot more than I want spend right now.
2015-1-19
Use props
ghbollinger.yah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 129829 ft
  • >>>
United States

jklorenz94117@g Posted at 2015-1-10 10:19
DJI needs to make it more evident that the H3-3D gimbal is not compatible with the Phantom 2 Visio ...

I successfully (finally) switched my phantom 2 vision over to a zenmuse 3d gimbal and FPV system. It wasn't that much work as long as you have some knowledge of the P2. Let me know if you are still interested in doing this.
2015-2-2
Use props
greg.goldingpro
New

United States

ghbollinger.yah Posted at 2015-2-3 05:36
I successfully (finally) switched my phantom 2 vision over to a zenmuse 3d gimbal and FPV system.  ...

I'm interested. Could you let me know how you pulled it off? Are you able to use the DJI Vision app to monitor what the GoPro is recording?
2015-2-3
Use props
sharplesg.me
New

United States

I successfully (finally) switched my phantom 2 vision over to a zenmuse 3d gimbal and FPV system.  ...

I'm in the same situation and would really like to know how to do this with my phantom 2 vision? Please give details.
2015-2-4
Use props
smokinfire2121.
New

United States

I did the same thing instead I purchased the Zenmouse 3d and Hero4. Went to install and couldn't. DJI does not give good details about Vision plus not working with these. Today I called www.dronefly.com and they were able to help me.  I had to order the http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/cable-pack-part-3-p2.htm cable pack. The only cable you actually need is the 8pin cable. I have the cable ordered and will follow up with an updated by the end of the week. I am really hoping its this simple.
2015-2-13
Use props
chris765_2000
lvl.1
United States

chrisrumz Posted at 2014-10-23 22:28
The confusion here is that you're thinking the "Phantom 2" and the "Phantom 2 Vision or Vision Plu ...

I am looking into upgrading my Phantom II Vision to include a Gimbal. I know of one option that may work and another that will definitely work. I will start with the option that I know works.

1. Purchase a Rotorpixel 2 Axis Gimbal. There will be an upgrade package when they come out with the 3 axis Gimbal. This Gimbal works with the Vision camera and is 100% compatible with the Vision application. There are other 3rd party vendors that make gimbals, but this is the one I'm most comfortable with. Here is the link: www.rotorpixel.com

2. Find a mainboard that connects the Zenmuse with the flight controller. I have seen them on ebay, however I am less confident that this will work. I know the first option will work and it cost the same as the Zenmuse. I have been told by DJI that the controller that comes with with the Vision is not compatible. When you choose the compare Phantom 2 it indicates that the remote for the Vision and Vision plus operate on the same frequency for which reason I don't see a problem with the controller. I would think there would be a problem with the controller that comes with the non-vision Phantom which operates on the 2.4 frequency and causes interference with the Gopro. It seems to me that if you can find the mainboard that it would enable you to use the range extender on the Vision and turn off the wireless on the Gopro. Of course I'm not going to go with this option until I find someone who has already done it sucessfully.

I am going to eventually join a quadcopter club and suspect I will be able to find more answers there. I will post information as I find it. Like most of you I don't want to buy a Vision Plus after having already purchased a Vision. I know there is another option out there and companies that will profit off of providing that option.

2015-2-16
Use props
pablodl1000.gma
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88615 ft
Spain

Hi friend... you can install a zenmuse in a Phanton Vision without problem (phantom vision it´s a phantom 2 "with" connected camera, it isn´t integrated).

removing camera

installing zenmuse

about get FPV with gopro.... it´s other problem. Phantom 2 Vision+ is able (not easy)... but Vision... diffícult.
One alternative - I don´t know- would be remove all electronic (wifi it´s inside egg-camera) and put inside body, with camera... then you can use app, groundstation... but no video.

Regards
2015-2-16
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i have the rotorpixel that chris mentioned and LOVE it, was easy to install, works perfectly with the vision app.  prob worth getting a plus to begin with but if you have a nonplus the rotorpixel is a good upgrade:

2015-2-16
Use props
ghbollinger.yah
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

greg.goldingpro Posted at 2015-2-4 08:01
I'm interested. Could you let me know how you pulled it off? Are you able to use the DJI Vision ap ...

Once you switch over you no longer have the use of the Vision app. You'll need to get a seperate FPV system.  Essentially what you have to do is go from a 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz system. It's silly, and is not necessarily cheap, but like most of you I WANTED to use a gopro and gimbal system, but had the Vision model already. There are several main parts you will have to buy to switch over:
1: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/ ... s=REG&A=details
2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/ ... s=REG&A=details
3: http://www.adorama.com/DJIPH2CM. ... maOrderConfirmation
The Phantom will recognize the Zenmuse no problem once plugged in, and you simply bind the the new 2.4ghz transmitter with the receiver like this:
Message me for further instructions.
2015-2-24
Use props
ghbollinger.yah
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

sharplesg.me Posted at 2015-2-5 08:12
I'm in the same situation and would really like to know how to do this with my phantom 2 vision? P ...

Once you switch over you no longer have the use of the Vision app. You'll need to get a seperate FPV system.  Essentially what you have to do is go from a 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz system. It's silly, and is not necessarily cheap, but like most of you I WANTED to use a gopro and gimbal system, but had the Vision model already. There are several main parts you will have to buy to switch over:
1: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/ ... s=REG&A=details
2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/ ... s=REG&A=details
3: http://www.adorama.com/DJIPH2CM. ... maOrderConfirmation
The Phantom will recognize the Zenmuse no problem once plugged in, and you simply bind the the new 2.4ghz transmitter with the receiver like this:
Message me for further instructions.
2015-2-24
Use props
ghbollinger.yah
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

uhayat@hotmail. Posted at 2014-10-23 21:34
Hi,
Is it possible, yes.
Is it recommended (or easy), no.

I was able to do this without having to make a bigger hole.
2015-2-24
Use props
nsuri2004
New

United States

can u install the zenmuse on my dji phantom 2 vision plus as i want to use hero black 4
2015-7-22
Use props
cmanista
New

United States

ghbollinger.yah Posted at 2015-2-24 12:23
Once you switch over you no longer have the use of the Vision app. You'll need to get a seperate F ...

After buying/installing the 2.4 GHz controller & receiver and the can module are you able to FPV the GroPro through the DJI Vision App or are there more parts/steps to accomplish this?
2016-8-31
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nsuri2004@yahoo Posted at 2015-7-23 14:59
can u install the zenmuse on my dji phantom 2 vision plus as i want to use hero black 4

If you have the P2 Vision PLUS then yes. It just requires a 15 cm zenmuse cable and 1 redirection of the cable. No soldering required. I have done this mod with P2 Vision PLUS with a H33D and gopro 3+ BE.
You can still use the Vision App for FPV but you can no longer control camera functions. In other words, you need to hit record before taking off.

For best compatibility, use android.
Read the link below.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... 2213815&page=17

PLEASE NOTE, the link above is for the VISION PLUS and NOT VISION.
2016-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules