drifting in P-GPS mode
6108 33 2017-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andrew.p
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12146 ft

United States

For the past two weeks my phantom 3 standard has been randomly drifting during all flights.  There was no event or crash prior to this problem.  
Every flight the drone will drift in random directions as well as loose altitude.  It is always in GPS mode with satelites ranging from 9-15.  I have calibrated the compass on many occasions (away from any interference) as well as calibrated the IMU.  Firmware us up to date.  I have replaced props and ensured all physical components are in good shape.  There are no errors during flight and it never goes out of P-GPS on screen.  It really just seems like it thinks that it is in ATTI mode even though it is not.  My next step would be getting in touch with DJI support via phone but I thought I'd try here first.  Any help would be appreciated.  
Thanks,

Andrew

2017-11-8
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

How much drift are you encountering. Even with good satellite fixes, the P3 S will drift a few feet and up or down a bit. If the wind is taking the ac farther when no input is given, then there is an issue. High KP values can be an issue as well. Caused by atmospheric conditions. KP values higher then 4-5 discourage flying and gps locks. An app called UAV Forecast shows current local conditions.
2017-11-8
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Check your props??
2017-11-8
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Sorry ..didnt read that props are checked..
2017-11-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Andrew, could you refer the tutorial video and upload the flight records? Also, please PM me your DJI Account and the date/time when the issue occurs, I'd like to help.

2017-11-8
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

How many satellites  were shown up in the app? was the number bellow 5?  The higest number on my bird was an 11. Did you fly the bird in front of high obstacles? If yes then the bird loses some satellites.
2017-11-8
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

OK ... there are two main forms of 'drift' ...

1. Where the item 'drifts' and continues on until momentum dies or another stops it....

2. Where item drifts but stops as if tethered to a point.

No 1 is what you see in ATTI mode ... when the AC will be influenced by wind or your last command and she will drift until momentum decays or another command is issued.

No 2 is when P-GPS mode and the Flight Controller are reacting to outside influences such as wind and the AC is 'wandering' about a central point. It appears to be invisibly tethered to that point and can wander 1 - 2m any direction about that point but will always stay relative to it.

Which one are you experiencing ?  Ignore the P-GPS heading on your screen - tell us which 'drift' you are experiencing ... If you are unsure ... then go for a flight test.

Get her up and hover, have P-GPS mode engaged ... don't touch sticks unless really necessary.  What does she do .. 1 or 2 ?

If 1 - then there's a problem and you need to interrogate the flight log for any indication why ...

If 2 - then as long as drift distance from that point is not excessive - probably you are OK. In calm conditions you would expect the hover radius to be 1m or less.... (GPS is not exact !! and wanders itself).

Nigel
2017-11-9
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The P3S always drifts a little more than other phantoms.   Just don't be close to any obstacles when  you hover and you'll be fine.
2017-11-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Having both Std and Pro .... I would not agree that the Std drifts more than the Pro. Sorry but generally no.

Reading OP's post - it appears from his wording, that last two weeks his 'drift' may have become more noticeable. So finding out if that is the case would be interesting.

Nigel
2017-11-9
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

No worries, You'll be fine.  Just keep an eye on it.
2017-11-9
Use props
ghutch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

My P3S doesn't drift much at all.  Very stable hovers or I wouldn't be hand catching it...
2017-11-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Andrew ? Have you solved or come to a conclusion  yet ?

Cheers
Nigel
2017-11-10
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i dont know how much drift a p3s is suppose to have but my p3p is rock steady.and if it had any i' would be trying to find out why.are your props balanced,maybe try another imu calibration with bird perfect level untouched while it is calibrating and of coarse do it with every thing cooled down.
2017-11-10
Use props
RADROCKET
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1110827 ft
United States

Did you check your sensors. In the Gains menu, it may be over compensating for the wind. I don't know what the defaults are. Write down what your gains are set to before you mess around with them and you can always put them back.
2017-11-10
Use props
andrew.p
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12146 ft

United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-10 10:48
Andrew ? Have you solved or come to a conclusion  yet ?

Cheers

Not yet, Nigel.  Uploaded flight records and other info and someone should be looking them over soon.  Thanks for the interest.  Some good advice on here, some not so good

Really all the troubleshooting that I am able to do has been done - and contrary to what some people are saying, this drift is definitely not normal (especially compared to the past year with this same bird).

I'll update when I know more,

Thanks again
2017-11-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Looking forward to results.... its not only good for your situation - but helps others as well.

Cheers
Nigel
2017-11-10
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

only time I get drift on the standard or the 4K is if I'm close to something ground a wall, trees these things tend to try and suck your bird into them, turbulence is why it happens, but if I'm in the air and nothing around me I get no noticeable drift. I'm sure it has to be drifting around a bit, but I don't really see it happening. hope you get it figured out Brother
2017-11-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Andrew, I have received your message in PM, thanks! Generally, with better GPS signal, you will get better hover accuracy range. Per the flight records you offered, the maximum is within the range, no worries. More details, please check here:

http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#specs
SPECS.png
2017-11-13
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

My AC is maximal drifting inbound 50x50 cm in square horizontal and vertical not very visible by 7-8 satellites in altitude higher than 5 meters,bellow that altitude the ground effect brings the AC out from that position.
2017-11-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Its funny that Peter mentions ground effect ...

I know this is a Standard thread but interesting observation with my P3P yesterday and incident today ...

Yesterday I was videoing our RC Car Track and I decided to fly the 'course'. We have various jumps, holes and banks ... as the P3P was flying and crossing these - she was lifting, dropping literally in relation to the ground - yes I am well aware that it was the VPS acting, most likely with some ground effect thrown in. What I found interesting was that it was over-riding the Barometer in effect and causing quite a bit of action on my part to stabilise the level.

But anyway - the incident today really highlights the drift and its cost me my AC ...

I am well aware of the drift and hover factors on my P3's and its stupid what happened.

A debate about flying without Tablet / Phone and latest FW had me decide to test this. And as expected - unlike my test many moons ago with my P3S ... the latest FW with my P3P created a barrier at about 50m out from HP. I should have returned her home and called it quits but thought - oh well - I'm up there - lets see about radius ... So I flew to the side ... she stopped and hovered. I flew to the other side - she stopped at 50m and hovered ... Unfortunately being at limit and top of a tree being my side of the AC - when she drifted and clipped the branch sticking out - I couldn't fly her out and she tipped / tumbled down through and hit ground. Busted gimbal motor, busted gimbal arm, busted shell, antenna ripped out.

Before anyone starts - it was my fault. The point is though - before she drifted she was clear - but the drift was enough to clip that branch .. (yes I agree I was too close - but I couldn't get further away because of the 50m limit .. I picked a spot that I estimated 50m should have been well clear but I made mistake !).

My hobby budget for this month and marital relations are scuppered for a period !!

Nigel
2017-11-13
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

It happens o all of us.  Sorry for your crash.
2017-11-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Tks A ...

Unfortunately yes - we are human.

Nigel
2017-11-13
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I can confirm the same happens to me now and then, mostly shortly after takeoff with max signal strength on everything, it starts oscillating slowly in large circles, floats around like in atti mode, but keeps circling within a radius of 5m, like in a loop, even in dead calm weather, then automatically settles after 30-60 seconds.
Now that  im aware of it, i just prepare for it, but the feeling on the sticks can be scary, as its also very unresponsive, i have to push the sticks to the extreme to get any reaction, then suddenly it regains control.

After owning 2 different P4P, my experience, is that this model is much more unstable and unpredictable than the previous models, and i can never fly with confidence like i used to.
2017-11-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

This is what 'drift' can do ...

Hard to see but basically when the AC hit the 50m limit - it was close to the tree - closer than I expected. The drift then allowed it to clip branch and being at limit - I could not fly out ...

Now I have a repair to sort .....

Nigel
2017-11-13
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161437 ft
Italy

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-13 08:32
This is what 'drift' can do ...

Hard to see but basically when the AC hit the 50m limit - it was close to the tree - closer than I expected. The drift then allowed it to clip branch and being at limit - I could not fly out ...

Hi Nigel,
whenever you have an accident with your P3S I'm worried and sorry ...
Not so much for your drone, but because you will be away from this thread! ;)
I'm joking of course.... Sorry for your crash.

MaxBDS
2017-11-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

MaxBDS Posted at 2017-11-16 08:24
Hi Nigel,
whenever you have an accident with your P3S I'm worried and sorry ...
Not so much for your drone, but because you will be away from this tread! ;)

My P3S has been dead for months ... its donated its motors and props to a 450 Quad ..

The video prior is actually my P3P ... its already with DJI Service and I just wait its return.

I have a new toy to play with at moment ... Soloshot 3 Robot Camera. I bought it to video all my RC and other activities without my having to be the cameraman ! Now I can really annoy viewers by being IN shot as well !!

Cheers
Nigel
2017-11-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2017-11-13 08:19
I can confirm the same happens to me now and then, mostly shortly after takeoff with max signal strength on everything, it starts oscillating slowly in large circles, floats around like in atti mode, but keeps circling within a radius of 5m, like in a loop, even in dead calm weather, then automatically settles after 30-60 seconds.
Now that  im aware of it, i just prepare for it, but the feeling on the sticks can be scary, as its also very unresponsive, i have to push the sticks to the extreme to get any reaction, then suddenly it regains control.

Generally when it circles like that, we call that TBE - short for toilet bowl effect which indicates a compass issue.  But then you say it settles in after a minute.  That seems odd.   I see you are in Norway.  Land of the midnight sun, they say.  I have to wonder if your proximity to magnetic north is causing your problem...
2017-11-16
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

I attempted to get an overall photo of all the guests at MY wedding (early September). I put the controller down on the ground for just a moment and the P3Pro drifted into a building. After a lot of head-scratching, I found the KP index was very high that day. The drone survived and flies perfectly (though with new props). I do believe it was a high KP number that caused the issue.
2017-11-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I wouldn't mind seeing the flight log on that if you're not too busy.  

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-11-16
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-11-16 09:39
Generally when it circles like that, we call that TBE - short for toilet bowl effect which indicates a compass issue.  But then you say it settles in after a minute.  That seems odd.   I see you are in Norway.  Land of the midnight sun, they say.  I have to wonder if your proximity to magnetic north is causing your problem...

No, im not that far north, im close to Denmark ;)
2017-11-16
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Regards the KP index, the app UAV Forecast gives winds aloft, temp and KP values fora any given time and place. It gives valuable info regarding KP values, and allows personal settings of fly/no fly conditions base on the above variables.
2017-11-16
Use props
fans2bb2db37
New
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-13 00:52
Andrew, I have received your message in PM, thanks! Generally, with better GPS signal, you will get better hover accuracy range. Per the flight records you offered, the maximum is within the range, no worries. More details, please check here:

http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#specs

horizontal Drift of 59 " ! is not within range. My P3P used to sit steady. Now drifts, I did all the things Andrew did, still F'd up.
2021-6-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I don't have that problem with either of my P3Ps but on a P2, a compass calibration usually fixes it provided it's done correctly.  If the P2 is also rising and falling, the flight controller would have to be replaced.  I've heard people have had success by removing it and hitting it hard on a table top to loosen a stuck gyro but I've never tried that.  Not sure how any of this applies to a P3.  Good luck.
2021-6-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans2bb2db37 Posted at 6-11 09:12
horizontal Drift of 59 " ! is not within range. My P3P used to sit steady. Now drifts, I did all the things Andrew did, still F'd up.

Hi, I am sorry for the belated reply. If the drone doesn't hover stably, please check if you have isolated the issues below:
1. If the propellers are damaged, change them when necessary;
2. Fly in P mode with good GPS environment, avoid flying when there is a strong wind and much interference around;
3. Calibrate the IMU and compass, if possible, also calibrate the VPS system;
See if it helps.
If the drone has impact damage or crash incidents before, please send it back for an overall check. Please start an online service request at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2021-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules