Need help with FAA authorization
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8e2e8ebf
New
Flight distance : 335466 ft
United States

Hi all,I am trying to get FAA part 107 authorization to fly at an airport next to a hangar at SCLA.  I submitted one already (107.37A Operation Near Aircraft) and it was denied.  Alothough it was a waiver and not a authorization.  Do I need to do both, or can I just get an authorization?  The more I read, the more im thinking all I need is the authorization to fly in class B airspace.  Any help would be greatly appriciated!
2017-11-9
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you aren't approved for the waiver then you aren't authorized unfortunately. You have to get the waiver approved first before moving on to a plan. Since that waiver has been denied (from what I know) getting one approved will be difficult. (Do you know why it was denied?) Sometimes they're denied because of incomplete (missing detailed info) waiver applications.
2017-11-22
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Personally, I think the FAA really screwed this up.

The entire hobbysist vs. 107 seems backwards, imho.  Hobbyists can call the tower and get immediate clearance, but 107 has to go to the FAA for a waiver and wait months.  Toss night flights in the mix too that are allowed at some AMA fields.  The 107 should be able to call the tower with their flight plan and get it approved at the local level the same way regular IFR/VFR pilots do with real planes.  The tower may know no IFR or private flights are due in for 30 minutes to give the 107 the freedom to do a shoot within a window they can set.  Some office 3,000 miles away is a nightmare to deal with, especially with a low usage field.

This possibly came into being with some AMA (hobbyist) flying fields being within 5 miles of an airport so the AMA lobbied for the ease of access.  That and the marketed claim of a 4.3 mile range for the drones gave way to the 5 mile radius we now have.  if the drones had less marketed claims of distance, the airport radius may be a lot smaller, along with the VLOS rules too.

My two-cent opinion.
2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules