External mic?
5800 10 2017-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I'm adding an Osmo Mobile to my Christmas list.  I have an iPhone 8+.  Two questions:
1. The new iPhones require that an external Mic be connected by using an adaptor to the phone's charging port (lightening port).  The images on the website are too small to see if that connector - which would be plugged into the center base of the phone - will interfere with clearance to the Osmo itself.  It looks to be an awfully tight fit when the phone is mounted between the base of the phone and the side of the Osmo Mobile.  
2.  Do I really need an external Mic?  I read that the small one that comes with the Osmo is pretty poor quality.  So, do those of you who use Osmo mobile find that you can do without any external Mic, or is one needed?  

If needed, I've seen some good reviews for better quality Mics, but wanted to hear from folks about these two questions.
2017-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The iPhone microphone in general is pretty decent (for casual shooting anyway).
But with a little bit of wind you probably wish you had a external mic with windshield.
Now I have the iPhone SE which has the 3,5 mm on the bottom part, so I can use my Rode Videomic. (I never needed it so far, but I did try and it works).
BUT with the new way of connecting via the lightning port you are pretty much screwed. Especially since your phone is much bigger and the connector is in the center.
I am pretty sure it will be blocked by the right motor.

What you might want to investigate is a bluetooth mic, combined with the Movie Pro app.
Movie Pro does not connect to your Osmo Mobile, but you only loose the start / stop button on the handle.
Other than that it is a great (not too expensive) app that allows for manual shooting and has a nice layout.
And it supports bluetooth mics (at least that is what I have seen in the menu).
2017-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BTW, I also bought the Filmic Pro app, but that consumes the battery like 10x faster than Movie Pro. Which I hope they will fix in the future because they have the D-Log (raw) option.
2017-11-9
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-9 13:14
BTW, I also bought the Filmic Pro app, but that consumes the battery like 10x faster than Movie Pro. Which I hope they will fix in the future because they have the D-Log (raw) option.

Great response, Montfrooij.  I'll take that Mic off my Christmas wishlist and see how the phone mic does as well as what the clearance looks like once I have my Osmo.  For many of my videos, I shut off whatever sound was recorded and instead do a narration in post production, so that may end up being my long term solution.  If not, I'll definitely look into your ideas on blue tooth mics.  Thanks for your help.
2017-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-9 14:03
Great response, Montfrooij.  I'll take that Mic off my Christmas wishlist and see how the phone mic does as well as what the clearance looks like once I have my Osmo.  For many of my videos, I shut off whatever sound was recorded and instead do a narration in post production, so that may end up being my long term solution.  If not, I'll definitely look into your ideas on blue tooth mics.  Thanks for your help.

You're welcome!
2017-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I don't think an external mic can be mounted to iPhone 8 plus when the phone is placed in Osmo Mobile since the balance is very important, there will be no space for the external mic.
Besides, the audio is recorded via the mic build-in your iPhone. It's not essential to mount external mic.
2017-11-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Some short test while riding a bike

Not too bad for a internal mic I would say and certainly usable for home video's
2017-11-12
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-12 11:13
Some short test while riding a bike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwpNu2irLrg
Not too bad for a internal mic I would say and certainly usable for home video's

Thanks Mont - that showed me a couple of things very well:
1.  The smoothness of your shot is wonderful.  I assume that you too were on a bicycle, but the view was steady as can be.  Just what I want out of my Osmo, although I may not get your smoothness from atop my horse.  Still, I'm sure it'll be useable.
2.  The sound on your video is not at the quality that I'll want.  Her voice became feint quite quickly as she gained a little distance, and the wind and cars were a distraction.  So, for me, I'll either have to get an external mic (if it will fit) or I'll just kill the sound in post processing and record voice overs at that time.
But your video gave me a good insight for what I'll be getting down the road.  Here's some payback.  I'm reading a WONDERFUL book that I intend to recommend on this forum.  I'll give you a first mention of it.  The book is entitled "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck".  Cost is under $10 at Amazon and it is a super super text on planning and shooting videos.  It does NOT get into things like camera settings - just things that you should think about and do when making the video.  You'll love this book if you get it.  Warmest regards
Bob
2017-11-12
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-12 00:27
I don't think an external mic can be mounted to iPhone 8 plus when the phone is placed in Osmo Mobile since the balance is very important, there will be no space for the external mic.
Besides, the audio is recorded via the mic build-in your iPhone. It's not essential to mount external mic.

Thanks Mindy.   From what I've seen, balance is not the problem.  I watched some videos where the owner needed simply to move the camera a bit left or right in the holder to balance it.  My concern is that the newest iPhone is different form previous ones in the location of the port for the external mic connector.  Older phones had that port on a top corner.  The new phones have the port in the center of the bottom of the phone - and that looks to be just where edge of the Osmo would bump against it.   Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and buy the Osmo first, and the decide if it will support an external mic's connector.
2017-11-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-12 18:46
Thanks Mont - that showed me a couple of things very well:
1.  The smoothness of your shot is wonderful.  I assume that you too were on a bicycle, but the view was steady as can be.  Just what I want out of my Osmo, although I may not get your smoothness from atop my horse.  Still, I'm sure it'll be useable.
2.  The sound on your video is not at the quality that I'll want.  Her voice became feint quite quickly as she gained a little distance, and the wind and cars were a distraction.  So, for me, I'll either have to get an external mic (if it will fit) or I'll just kill the sound in post processing and record voice overs at that time.

You're welcome.
I understand it might not be the quality you are after.
For my personal use it is ok.
Otherwise I will add my external mic, but I doubt if I will need it too often.

Nice advice. I will take a look
2017-11-12
Use props
fans578b62e7
New

Indonesia

i want to bough some mic for my dji osmo mobile but when i test it, it cant coonect can any one help me
note: i try to buy rode videomicro and i phone is a android (oppo f5)
2018-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules