Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[POLL] DJI Goggles worth buying or not?
830557 830557 2017-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was on the AH-64, Apache helicopter program from pre-production testing to deployment to the 1st gulf war. One of the biggest obstacles in qualifying to fly that aircraft was the IHADSS A helmet mounted sighting system that is mounted over the right eye of the crew members. Learning to fly the machine, alone, is difficult enough, but training your eyes and your brain to accept what you are seeing in the right eye and combining that image with the left eye/real world image is something that is VERY difficult to do. In fact that one system washed out many a good pilots from the program.

NOT ALL EYES AND BRAINS ACCEPT THIS AS A VIEWABLE IMAGE.  Some people just cannot do it. PERIOD.

This,  I find was similar to my initial experience using DJI goggles. At first I had a tough time. I could not relate what I was seeing to be able to apply it and fly the controls. I decided to separate the two and train, myself with visual references. I flew the Mavic at human eye levels for a couple of hours as if I were walking or running. I learned to judge distances flying around slowly and carefully until I got pretty comfortable.

When I launched the Mavic from my deck while I sat inside at my desk, flew around my house and down my driveway, back again and landed exactly where I launched from,  I was ready (nobody panic I never flew above anyone and stayed at the six foot training altitude) .

My opinion was turned around with the familiarization of my equipment. My comfort level allowed me to more appreciate what I am able to see and now fly happily with my DJI goggles.
2017-12-9
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI goggles are not for everyone.
2017-12-9
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I love mine, except for the reading glasses requirement and inability to focus them. Other than that, they have the widest FOV of anything out there short of the Oculus Rift or such, so they're absolutely the way to go for HD FPV.
My tablets are completely invisible outside in the sun of course, so the goggles are pretty much the only way I can fly my multis period, both for fun or for trying to frame a shot or video, etc....

The need for a way to focus them for farsighted persons is the only major problem with them so far that I've found.
2017-12-16
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448192 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-10 02:02
Not in NL, we must fly LOS.

Why not in NL. If someone is with you then he/she is the spotter and don't you ever bike without a light?
2017-12-17
Use props
Dread-Pirate-Ro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2169731 ft
United Kingdom

I would love to have them! I will have them soon! How can seeing everything from a birds eye view not be great? But yah they are too much money. You only live once I spose. If you can't afford it don't buy it.
2017-12-17
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just sold my goggles because I got the RE version, so, I guess it is worth it to me.
2017-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-17 08:10
Why not in NL. If someone is with you then he/she is the spotter and don't you ever bike without a light?

Simple.
You must always be able to see the drone yourself.

And since I got my drivers license, I try never to drive without light (before I thought it was a stupid thing, but that was more my own stupidity).

2017-12-17
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-12-17 09:26
Just sold my goggles because I got the RE version, so, I guess it is worth it to me.

I proceed to buy the RE Version, completely worth it!!!
2017-12-18
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-17 11:47
Simple.

Or have someone with you as a spotter. that's the dutch law
2017-12-18
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-17 11:47
Simple.

Sorry, but you are right. I saw this new article in dutch https://www.droneracers.nl/nieuw ... ns-de-wet-verboden/
2017-12-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-18 07:14
Sorry, but you are right. I saw this new article in dutch https://www.droneracers.nl/nieuws/overige/fpv-volgens-de-wet-verboden/

Unfortunately that is true.
For the 'regular' RC flyers that (usually) operate on remote fields there will maybe be made an exception
But these also have the same limitation.
http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0019147/2015-11-07
2017-12-18
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

I'm pretty happy with the goggles so far.
Most of the time I let others wear my goggles when flying for the most part, and they love it, personally I enjoy LOS more which is also the safest way of flying.
I'm not confident enough yet to fly with the goggles on (of course i did try it for a moment while a friend of mine was spotting), but I actually use them a lot at home to play racing games on my pc
2017-12-21
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nahhhh not sure me. Think I'll feel too claustophobic...
2017-12-21
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-11-9 22:33
for me i am still very happy with mone - i i had more money i would consider getting the more expensive pair of another company where you can still see the drone with yr eyes through the lenses. Dji goggles are expensive but for me flying with them adds a whole new exciting dimension to my flying experiance. Very often i let other people put them on while i am flying, they love this - i sometime watch you tube clips with my goggles on but eventually it makes my head swim so this is not great. There seems to be other cheaper goggles models available so maybe you can try one of these cheaper options to see weather you feel it is an experiance you will appreciate. i really enjoy my goggles - wish they were not so expensive but do not regret my purchase - even if a cheaper goggles came out next year i would still be happy that i paid premium for mine and enjoyed the use of them

Some NON-DJI goggles are compatible with the mavic?
2018-1-15
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

AACY Posted at 2017-12-18 04:20
I proceed to buy the RE Version, completely worth it!!!

Sorry for the question, but what is the RE version?
2018-1-15
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-15 18:47
Sorry for the question, but what is the RE version?

Here you go ....

https://www.dronesdirect.co.uk/p ... l0xUuRoCDM8QAvD_BwE
2018-1-16
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Denmark

I am not really sure what to vote. They are nice to flight compared to the phone, but they are so bulky.

I watched a netflix movie the other day I ended so tired, also I can see the mirror on top and on the left eye (at the right side) when the image is bright so they are not ideal for other activity than using the drone
2018-1-16
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

If you wear reading glasses for close quarters work (i'm long sighted) will the goggles allow you to wear glasses and still form a good fit around them?
2018-1-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-16 03:57
If you wear reading glasses for close quarters work (i'm long sighted) will the goggles allow you to wear glasses and still form a good fit around them?

Yes, DJI's goggles are specifically designed to accommodate wearing a pair of glasses while they're used.
2018-1-26
Use props
fans5aee5495
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I used to use glasses but found them a right pain, just bought the DJI corrective lenses, now loving my DJI goggles.
2018-1-26
Use props
SparkCoffey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Nothing compares to these goggles if you have a Mavic, and hopefully it will be the same for the Air. Don't bother if you have the Spark.
2018-1-26
Use props
slyfox0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118 ft
Canada

I was thinking about changing my Mavic Air order from the Fly More combo to the one with the goggles. Luckily I had a chance to try the DJI goggles in the store today.
It was cool but I am glad that I did not buy them. They are indeed bulky, the view requires time to adjust (expected), I had some eye strain (after a short period of time), the weight is a factor.

I decided to save the money for an iPhone upgrade this year instead. Unless DJI releases a smaller and improved version of the goggles.
2018-1-26
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just ordered a pair today, looking forward to them.
2018-1-26
Use props
fans339ccd6d
lvl.1
United States

The goggles are dope!
2018-1-26
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Personally I don't/won't use them for flying the AC,  they are, it has to be said invaluable when filming/shooting stills, easier to see the shot framed opposed to trying to see on a tablet/phone in bright light and hoping you got the shot.  
2018-2-17
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

I unexpectedly received a $100. coupon from DJI to use on the goggles. I just received them yesterday and I'm really glad that I did not buy them earlier because I also thought they were too expensive at regular price. I fully expect next month to see a new version of the goggles and I'm ok with that
2018-2-23
Use props
Bill-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

I returned mine.Too many issues when using with the Mavic Air.They need to come out with a new much lighter version with the ability to focus image.( something more in line with their competition )
2018-3-18
Use props
Seitenwerk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59400 ft
Austria

Bought them but will be returning them. After all the praise I wanted to give it a try even if a have a Spark and not a Mavic. The 1080p to 720p doesn't make a lot of difference and full head tracking was nothing I really needed. So my opinion after some flight tests:

No feel of immersion at all for me. Unlike VR, its basically just a bigger screen in front of your face. I don't feel any immersion when flying with them, as it is the exact same thing as flying with the phone just bigger, but without better quality (especially as everything is just stretched). For me, its even worse then just looking at my phone, as you completely loose any sense of  what is going on around you. So i have to constantly look around/turn the drone to check my surrounding even if I am flying at a place I already know. I don't know why the reviews were so positive about it.
I also watched some high quality demo videos of Mavic flights on the googles (some of them are also on the googles as demo material) and even there, with all its 1080p glory, I don't feel any immersion. I guess if you ever tried out a VR headset or have a high quality 4K TV at home, you are spoiled. If you want to know how it feels: Imagine you have a 65" FullHD Tv at your home and you are sitting in front of it at 1 meter distance. Quality will noticeable be underwhelming, and it will not be an immersive experience but more an exhausting one. That is at least how I experienced it so far. I might give it one last try but I guess its just not what I expected.

For me, flying with my phone gives me perfect control over the situation, while I still get a great view from the drones camera. I only intended to use the goggles at home, but i guess even there I will stick to a basic phone/controller combo.
2018-4-17
Use props
phillbarnes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40367 ft
  • >>>
Spain

The need to have a pair of eyes keeping line of sight (los)
2018-4-18
Use props
phillbarnes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40367 ft
  • >>>
Spain

The need to have a pair of eyes keeping line of sight (los)
2018-4-18
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

From what I have seen the ones that have them say it is like nothing experienced before and takes drone flying to a whole new level.  I have never used them but have used a cheap $5 VR goggles and it is really cool I can only imagine with the DJI Goggles.  If I had the money I would totally get them.  
2018-5-5
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Got them, used a couple of times myself with the inspires with a spotter, fabulous experience, however VLOS is an important aspect to my flying so the goggles are sat in the box for others to use as and when. Generally friends. Are they worth buying, yes without doubt, the immersive experience is awesome, will I sell them....No.
2018-5-6
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

No.I prefer to keep my eyes on my mavic at all times.  Just my choice.
2018-6-10
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

DJI Goggles are a very good product but I think that isn't possible to use it for hours I used it and after 5 minutes they become annoying
2018-6-12
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Too expensive, I would pay $200-$300
2018-6-21
Use props
Airport Dog
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Guido-Italy Posted at 2018-6-12 07:02
DJI Goggles are a very good product but I think that isn't possible to use it for hours I used it and after 5 minutes they become annoying

I use goggles for most all shoots. I like the ability to get better framing than with a tiny, almost toy-like screen as an iPhone.

I have flown as much time as 5 batteries' worth. Exhilaration is my best description after using them for extended periods.
Glad I didn't think about annoying when I wanted to try them out!

Sorry your missing the fun.

2018-6-22
Use props
SkyMaverick711
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106309 ft
United States

Note: Use them with MP.
Worth it? Yes and no.
I picked mine up with the idea of messing around with FPV (Never over anyone and <6ft off the ground) and found that I was loosing too much spacial awareness. When I turned on Head Tracking I had fun but found it too quirky and found myself having a tough time with using the HUD to my liking.

So where do I love these? I am the only person in my family, and coworkers, that would get a drone so it is fun to throw the goggles on them and fly around. The smile on their face just seeing areas from a new perspective is spectacular.

In the end, I think it boils down to what you expect from them and what you can get enjoyment out of with using them. For me, seeing my 70+ year old mother grinning ear to ear was worth every penny.
2018-6-22
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Airport Dog Posted at 2018-6-22 02:06
I use goggles for most all shoots. I like the ability to get better framing than with a tiny, almost toy-like screen as an iPhone.

I have flown as much time as 5 batteries' worth. Exhilaration is my best description after using them for extended periods.

I think your suggestion is right.
Maybe I need to use again googles ...... ;)
2018-6-22
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I think goggles are just for fun, not for filmmaking and responsible jobs (which are the two main purposes of Mavics). And I think if you want to have fun with FPV you'd be better with racing drones.
2018-9-3
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I have ps vr goggles.
I think that I will buy the googles racing edition when it becomes cheaper or on sale,
Too expensive I think, as is with all DJI products.
But I suppose that we pay for quality and it’s true,
In drones DJI is number 1 no questions asked.

Fly safe ppl.
Alex.
2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules