Inspire 2 unstable hovering
12Next >
11102 67 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyFilms
lvl.1
United States

Video of Mavic Pro hovering steadily while Inspire 2 wobbling 4 ft left, right, up and down.  Called DJI and followed instructions.  Factory reset, reinstalled latest firmware, calibrated IMU and compass.  Still have the problem.  Any ideas?

By the way, it wobbles like this at 4' or 40' altitude.  Also wobbles while in manual flight or intelligent flight modes.  Won't produce a steady shot.

2017-11-12
Use props
fans6197024f
lvl.4
Poland

Same issue with my I2.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Have you tried to change the propellers?
Will the drone drift when you fly 10 meters and more above the ground?
The performance of vision system may be affected when you fly above grassland, can you please test in a place with textures and patterns?
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Here is the GPS Hovering Accuracy:
Vertical: ±1.64 feet (0.5 m) or ±0.33 feet (0.1 m, Downward Vision System enabled)
Horizontal: ±4.92 feet (1.5 m) or ±0.98 feet (0.3 m, Downward Vision System enabled)

If your aircraft also drifts severely, will you please post a short video to us for further analysis? Thank you.
2017-11-12
Use props
SkyFilms
lvl.1
United States

Mindy -  Thanks for your interest.   I have indeed changed the props, and flown at all altitudes with the same results.   Don't know if you would call the drift in these videos severe, but it certainly ruins any opportunity to shoot a cinematic shot.   

Understand about the limitations of GPS location, but once the Inspire arrives at what it thinks is the location, it should be capable of holding steady.  In fact, it was perfect when I received it brand new on September 27, 2017.   Never had a crash or even a bump or brush with anything.   Physically as good as new.

Problem is I need this for work to produce steady images.   This is a real problem.   I note that many other Inspire 2 users report the same issue.
2017-11-13
Use props
SkyFilms
lvl.1
United States

Mindy -

Here we are at 80' and as you can see from the leaves, no wind.    Inspire 2 drifting all over the place.

2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SkyFilms Posted at 2017-11-13 12:15
Mindy -

Here we are at 80' and as you can see from the leaves, no wind.    Inspire 2 drifting all over the place.

Hello, the new firmware of Inspire has just been released, would you mind updating to the latest version to have a try?
2017-11-14
Use props
SkyFilms
lvl.1
United States

I installed new firmware on Saturday, Nov 11.   V01.01.0010

Is there a newer version since Saturday?  All for of the hover videos I've posted here have been taken since I installed V01.01.0010

2017-11-14
Use props
SkyFilms
lvl.1
United States

Oh, I see that there is a newer version as of today.   Yes I just installed it.  Will test today.
2017-11-14
Use props
SkyFilms
lvl.1
United States

Sadly, no luck with today's firmware update.  Still dancing and wobbling all over the place.   Mindy what do you think I should do?
2017-11-14
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

SkyFilms Posted at 2017-11-14 07:46
Sadly, no luck with today's firmware update.  Still dancing and wobbling all over the place.   Mindy what do you think I should do?

Just curious, did you also do your RC stick calibration after the new firmware install?  Mine was very odd until I worked through the calibration of them.  I would move them and they wouldn't respond, and then suddenly shoot up to 76% and doing it again they would hit 100%.  After a couple of times, I could move the sticks in a full circle and they would respond to 100% smoothly and not jerky as when I first started.

I also did the IMU, compass, and the finicky VPS calibration as well.  The VPS was hard for me to do as the lighting on the plate wasn't even until I took it into the shade, and being close into the underside was a bit tricky too with hitting the legs.  Don't know if it would be easier with them raised up, but that would call for a stand to hold the thing upright.  I let it sit on the edge of a table on the slanted part of the back legs.

Haven't flown it yet though.  I don't know what the expected movement is of this thing is in hover either and if it is worse than say the Mavic, Spark, or smaller birds with the I2 being heavier.
2017-11-14
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

it could be my imagination, but in that second video you have up, is there a wobble in the left hand prop, the one nearest the camera?  (back left on the drone)

I might honestly be seeing things, but it just looks like its not spinning true.

the more i look at it the more it looks like something is out of plumb all over, not just that motor.
out of interest, how does it operate if you knock it into ati mode instead of pos or sport?
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SkyFilms Posted at 2017-11-14 07:46

Hello, Sir, would you please connect Inspire 2 to DJI Assistant and export the flight log of the video above? We need it for further analysis.
Thanks for your time.
2017-11-15
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Mine is not very stable either! (this video is from March, at the moment my drone is going to repair at DJI and I can not make a new video).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wuaXbu2XSSduyUB22
2017-11-16
Use props
SkyFilms
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-15 21:22
Hello, Sir, would you please connect Inspire 2 to DJI Assistant and export the flight log of the video above? We need it for further analysis.
Thanks for your time.

I would be glad to provide flight data.   I need step-by-step instructions about how to do that.  I have Assistant 2 loaded on a Macbook.

I connected aircraft to Macbook by USB.  I turned on aircraft and controller and Macbook.  

I can find flight data on the controller, and it replays the entire flight.  But I can't get farther than that.  Can't get data to Macbook.
2017-11-16
Use props
fans02e6bd70
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1422234 ft
United States

I just purchased a brand new I2 with this same issue.  
2017-11-18
Use props
JuddPix
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1422234 ft
United States

So As I said, I'm having the same issue as SkyFilms.  Don't know if it helps but here is  is a couple clips stitched together that shows the I2 can't hold its altitude and moves all over the place as it hovers.  I would sure love to know how to fix this issue.

http://vimeo.com/243482427

2017-11-18
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

JuddPix Posted at 2017-11-18 17:06
So As I said, I'm having the same issue as SkyFilms.  Don't know if it helps but here is  is a couple clips stitched together that shows the I2 can't hold its altitude and moves all over the place as it hovers.  I would sure love to know how to fix this issue.

vimeo.com/243482427

Would you be able to do a swap for a new one that works. I would have expected that if it is a brand new item and does not work as advertised. If you bought from a local dealer, I am sure the dealer would love to fix any issues for you to build up customer loyalty.
2017-11-18
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkyFilms Posted at 2017-11-13 10:45
Mindy -  Thanks for your interest.   I have indeed changed the props, and flown at all altitudes with the same results.   Don't know if you would call the drift in these videos severe, but it certainly ruins any opportunity to shoot a cinematic shot.   

https://vimeo.com/242619946

There is something odd going on the the Right/Rear propeller. I cant say I know what it is, but it appears to be loose. Suggest mount the propeller , hold one tip and try to move it (gently) up and down to check for lateral free play in the hub. If there is any play then please read any of the many threads on the subject on this forum and others..
Kind regards
Allan
2017-11-19
Use props
Vjelovic
lvl.2
Croatia

JuddPix Posted at 2017-11-18 17:06

vimeo.com/243482427

Seems to me that your I2 is much steadier then one from SkyFilms.
2017-11-19
Use props
ICarrascosa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3356 ft
Spain

From what I see in the other forums, the problem of instability in the flight, is not only the Inspire 2, Phanthom 4 also has problems since the last update.

I think that DJI should get bad at work to solve this problem that can cause many problems, including breakdowns and dangers.

DJI Mindy could you comment when DJI will solve all these problems that the users have?

We need answers
2017-11-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SkyFilms Posted at 2017-11-16 15:53
I would be glad to provide flight data.   I need step-by-step instructions about how to do that.  I have Assistant 2 loaded on a Macbook.

I connected aircraft to Macbook by USB.  I turned on aircraft and controller and Macbook.  

Sir, I'm so sorry for the late response, please just turn on the aircraft to export the flight data.
Please refer to the tutorial video of Phantom 4 Pro, they are the same.

Then please upload the log to Dropbox or Googles drive and post the link and the exact date of drifting issue here. Thank you.
2017-11-19
Use props
JeremyPCP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16076 ft
United States

I know I have my own thread regarding having this same problem to begin with, but I have had this problem since I got the drone brand new with the same firmware you say started your issues.  I am wondering if anyone is on the old firmware still or has switched back to it to see if this fixes the issue?  I just got mine back from DJI repair and now it is infinitely worse then what is described in this thread, so it now seams like my Inspire 2 has more issues then just firmware (a topic I am waiting to hear back from them to fix whatever they did.).

I would like to hear if anyone has tried anything firmware related.
2017-11-26
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I'm having the same issue with my I2. I haven't updated to the most recent firmware yet but from reading here that doesn't help. In addition to the issues noted here I also have drift while flying at altitude. I line up on a straight road, push the right stick forward into the detent and the bird drifts with the wind. I would expect this in ATTI mode or from a normal (non-computer controlled) aircraft but these drones should use the GPS to compensate. My P4P would stick right to a section line road even with a crosswind.
2017-11-29
Use props
Craigzcool
New

United Kingdom

I'm having the same problem. I'm running the latest firmware and I have recalibrated the VPS, Compass, IMU & gimbal. My propellers are in good condition and there is no more than 2mm play in the propellers if I rock them up and down, measuring from the tips. The motors are rock solid. I was flying with a P4 the other day and it was embarrassing because his P4 was so stable and my I2 was drifting all over the place. Has anyone found a solution to the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
2018-4-25
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

Same problem for since a new firmware in december 2017... what about DJI ???
2018-5-9
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

Did anyone try to downgrade the Inspire 2
2018-5-9
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

gersphoto.orange Posted at 2018-5-9 06:31
Did anyone try to downgrade the Inspire 2

Latest Firmware will not allow downgrades
2018-5-9
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

I did it and return to v01. 01.0010 with DJI Assistant but still the same problem. Waiting now for DJI to resolve this problem
2018-5-9
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

I have studied the behaviour of my I2 in wind carefully, and I think the problem is firmware related and I will try to explain what happens:

With a conventional "manually controlled" drone in windy conditions, it is normal to tilt the drone into the wind so that it is in forward flight in the wind, although static above ground.  Gusty conditions are a bit tricky because you have to continually compensate for the gusts by increasing or decreasing the tilt angle.

With the I2 hovering in windy conditions, the software does not attempt to tilt the drone into the wind at all.  Instead it seems to allow the drone to drift downwind until it detects that it is "out of position", and then it flies it back to the original position and then it levels off and allows the drift to happen all over again.  It is in effect an unstable control system because there is no compensation for the wind force or direction.

What is needed is some feedback mechanism whereby the software detects this continual leeward drift, and then it should gradually add compensation in the form of a tilt angle into the wind.

In strong wind, I can use "manual control" to hold the drone in a fairly stable hover, so long as I never "let go" of the sticks.  But the moment I "let go" of the sticks, my I2 does this crazy dance like everyone is reporting, and it is quite frightening sometimes because it looks unstable and unsafe.

When there is no wind, the I2 hover is very stable.

Thanks,
Rob
2018-5-11
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

No issue from DJI... Thank you DJI
2018-8-7
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The latest update will remedy the hover issue
2018-8-7
Use props
fans303c5328
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6143999 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Same problem here, with inspire 2 x5s latest 2018 firmware on the bird and both Radios and DJI Go, also did fresh calibration of everithing ... Nothing change ! Could you fix it?
2018-9-19
Use props
fans303c5328
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6143999 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-8-7 20:21
The latest update will remedy the hover issue

I do not think so. I did it 3 days ago, redo gps, imu and sensors calibrations as well as radio sticks calibration, nothing changed.
2018-9-19
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans303c5328 Posted at 2018-9-19 14:37
I do not think so. I did it 3 days ago, redo gps, imu and sensors calibrations as well as radio sticks calibration, nothing changed.

Yes, things are very disappointing. I feel that DJI has to clean house and get some fresh blood in there. Terrible situation.
2018-9-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-19 16:00
Yes, things are very disappointing. I feel that DJI has to clean house and get some fresh blood in there. Terrible situation.

Ha ha ha, fresh blood? From where? They've got all fresh blood mankind can supply already!
2018-9-19
Use props
Alex Dawson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1787395 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-19 18:45
Ha ha ha, fresh blood? From where? They've got all fresh blood mankind can supply already!

@DJI Mindy can you please give us answers? Its been a year since this issue started happening on you $ 10k platform. There must be a budget at DJI for resolving this for its customers!  

kind regards // Alex
2018-9-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Ditto on the above.

I cannot figure out why DJI leaves bad firmware on their website for months, and then tells people "To roll-back to the older version since the latest version has issues."   Gads, if Microsoft left bad updates up no one would have a working computer, but at least they pull them fairly quick in a few days, and not months or years.

One advantage - for them - is it it grounds a lot of fliers which nulls the warranty sooner so more money later to fix what "they" broke.  Really unethical management, imho.
2018-9-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-9-20 08:52
Ditto on the above.

I cannot figure out why DJI leaves bad firmware on their website for months, and then tells people "To roll-back to the older version since the latest version has issues."   Gads, if Microsoft left bad updates up no one would have a working computer, but at least they pull them fairly quick in a few days, and not months or years.

Actually DJI never - officially, in a form of public announcement - acknowledged the persistence of issues introduced by .0200 firmware. Only DJI forum moderators and - perhaps - tech support staff suggests roll-back as a temporary solution. We know for sure that same aircrafts are affected and same aren't. We DON'T know how many Inspires is crippled by .0200 and how many is apparently immune. It's absolutely possible that only a small percentage of Inspires from particular manufacturing batch may be affected, while the majority flies normally. We just don't know that. Only they know, receiving thousands of alarming calls. Or - in contrary - maybe only a few? Who knows?

That may explain why FW .0200 is still available.
2018-9-20
Use props
DRAGenDROP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

you are to close to the ground, so you get ground effect
2018-9-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced