12Next >
23620 57 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
United Kingdom

Many places to fly around our way often have big power lines nearby. I usually stay clear of them but found a nice pond to fly over and thought I’d test how the Mavic handled.
I took a quick flight near a large bunch of powerlines with no issues at all.

I made a quick video below.

Has anyone ever had issues near power?

2017-11-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good thing it worked out!
2017-11-13
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Not with a Powerline, I have compass faillure near a harbour approach radar, its strange because it's a whole diffrent radio frequency . (9.2 and 3 ghz.)
Try to shoot a photo but MP was slowly turning.  
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Has anyone ever had issues near power?

No, I've flown very close -- even closer than what's shown in your video -- many times and never had any problem. In fact, power line inspection is considered a promising use for drones and is already happening in the U.S.
2017-11-13
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We have an old power sub station near my fave flying spot. If I stay clear it's OK but get too close and causes issues. Lesson learned from my P3S days.
2017-11-13
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good control around the wires and kept some distance and room for any corrections so well done.
2017-11-13
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Thanks for the possible kamikaze flight.
I saw a video when a person flying up and town a TV tower 2000' high and he never lost control either.
2017-11-13
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

Very strange, the duck on the water is going backwards 
I think you reverse the playback of the movie???
2017-11-13
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

Neat video. I'm always nervous about flying near power lines, I consider them drone killers.
I have searched for maps or plats for my city that not only show power line routes but heights of towers and have not found anything yet.
Apparently my city guards this information, even though they have tower heights.
Hivemapper does how power line routes but there is no data there related to power line/tower heights.
2017-11-13
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes with my p4p. , had compass error , lost gps connection , went in atti.switched the button to atti mode , controlled the drone , switched back to p mode. All fine. But i learned my lesson. Never come near them anymore. Anyway usually sights and views with powerlines on it spoils a bit the footage , and is less interesting, not worth losing your drone for it
2017-11-13
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-11-13 03:59
We have an old power sub station near my fave flying spot. If I stay clear it's OK but get too close and causes issues. Lesson learned from my P3S days.

I have had no problem flying near a large substation nearby, I also often fly near powerlines without problems this was the first time at this location though.

2017-11-13
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

One false move and you cut the power to thousands of people and might end up in jail for criminal mischief.

Is it worth it???

We don't need any more empowering local governments to add more restrictive drone laws unless you are a licensed professional and doing your job which you are not.

2017-11-13
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep in mind the primary high voltage lines (in the US anyway) are 500,000 volts and the secondaries are 161,000 volts.  Either one would pretty much vaporize your AC if you made contact.
2017-11-13
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-13 17:31
One false move and you cut the power to thousands of people and might end up in jail for criminal mischief.

Is it worth it???

I agree, just please be extra careful and try to keep the FAA from restricting more of our hobby.
2017-11-13
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Underground power is the way forward. Hate the things, especially when you find a super cool place to fly. I suppose the powers that be never intended for the skies to be populated by drones when they 1st installed them.
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

I wonder how many of those who'd criticize you for this can honestly claim to never to violate laws or regulations, such as the FAA's prohibition against flying beyond visual line of sight. Probably none of them can, which would be particularly ironic since there's no regulation against flying over power lines. And as far as winding up in jail for criminal mischief for striking one with a drone, that seems like quite a stretch and I'd be very interested to see a cite of where that's ever happened.
2017-11-14
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Other then flying into one and crashing my Mavic, No problems. Now try to avoid them like the plague.
2017-11-14
Use props
Jon C.
lvl.2
Switzerland

If I can, I also try to ovoid them. But sometimes you want to take a picture et there is no other way to do it. I think the key is to be careful. As always when flying a drone.
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Jon C. Posted at 2017-11-14 05:11
If I can, I also try to ovoid them. But sometimes you want to take a picture et there is no other way to do it. I think the key is to be careful. As always when flying a drone.

Exactly. I wouldn't recommend flying near them just for fun, but the main risk seems to be to the drone itself, and at least in the case of a Mavic that risk is mostly from collision rather than any electromagnetic interference problem.
2017-11-14
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-11-13 17:31

Is it worth it???

How is the done going to damage destroy the power line any more than a bird. In fact many birds are header than the Mavic.
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-11-14 07:23
How is the done going to damage destroy the power line any more than a bird. In fact many birds are header than the Mavic.

He's probably thinking of this, but it left more questions than answers and was never even confirmed to be a drone.
2017-11-14
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

There were no powerlines harmed in the making of this movie
2017-11-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-14 01:57
I wonder how many of those who'd criticize you for this can honestly claim to never to violate laws or regulations, such as the FAA's prohibition against flying beyond visual line of sight. Probably none of them can, which would be particularly ironic since there's no regulation against flying over power lines. And as far as winding up in jail for criminal mischief for striking one with a drone, that seems like quite a stretch and I'd be very interested to see a cite of where that's ever happened.

When you know you can cause damage, harm or inflict business loss on to others and you do it anyway then that is a premeditated criminal act. Electric companies will go after you, your city will go after you etc.

Maybe you should try it and prove us wrong

2017-11-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-11-13 19:03
I agree, just please be extra careful and try to keep the FAA from restricting more of our hobby.

Sometimes I don't know what people are thinking doing these stupid stunts. One false move, one wind gust and you'r toast.
2017-11-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are so smart dude
2017-11-14
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-14 18:12
Sometimes I don't know what people are thinking doing these stupid stunts. One false move, one wind gust and you'r toast.

Literally!
2017-11-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bax Posted at 2017-11-14 16:37

Good one... You should have posted earlier but again Lucky you!
2017-11-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Him and his poor drone. Maybe we should start a drone defense fund   to take away ABUSED DRONES from   
2017-11-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Really dude???
2017-11-14
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-11-14 18:12

It wasn’t a SYMA
Mavic holds steady in a good gust.
I trust my Mavic and know my, and it’s capabilities.
I also have common sense and fly safe, but thanks for your comments.

This was not what I would consider close but I was there to judge I guess.

This is parkland Intended to be used for a heap of activities, notice the paths underneath kids can do more damage with a rock.
There is a RC airplane club just over the pond so council isn’t worried.

2017-11-15
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just as well that the lines were "Not Busy" you have huge electromagnetic fields around this lines depending on the current and voltage.

Its just not very wise to do this. Like speeding in the rain. One day your gunna get caught with your pants down.

2017-11-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-14 18:09
When you know you can cause damage, harm or inflict business loss on to others and you do it anyway then that is a premeditated criminal act. Electric companies will go after you, your city will go after you etc.

When you know you can cause damage, harm or inflict business loss on to others and you do it anyway then that is a premeditated criminal act.

No, it isn't. Obviously you're as much of an "expert" concerning the law as you are flying near power lines.

You're the one who made a claim about winding up in jail for criminal mischief that needs to be supported by a cite. You can't find one, can you?
2017-11-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Bax Posted at 2017-11-14 16:37

I wonder how many of your critics are willing to claim that they never violate actual laws and regulations while flying even though you apparently violated neither. And FYI, your harshest critic in this thread has in the past been banned from this forum for repeatedly and deliberately breaking its rules, so it's ironic that he's attacking you for not following ones he made up himself.
2017-11-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-15 03:18
When you know you can cause damage, harm or inflict business loss on to others and you do it anyway then that is a premeditated criminal act.

No, it isn't. Obviously you're as much of an "expert" concerning the law as you are flying near power lines.

Yes it is, unless you need to go back to school like Alabama to brush on reading comprehension: The link you posted stated that the police are looking for the idiot pilot who caused thousand of dollars in damages??

You're the one who made a claim about winding up in jail for criminal mischief that needs to be supported by a cite. You can't find one, can you?

So again read the article YOU posted and I am sure the cops are looking for the idiot pilot NOT to give him an AWARD but to haul his behind and make him pay for the damages ... and to enlighten you, here is the meaning of "criminal Mischief" by your canadian law:

Mischief
430. (1) Every one commits mischief who willfully

(a) destroys or damages property;
    (b) renders property dangerous, useless, inoperative or ineffective;
    (c) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property; or
    (d) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with any person in the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property.

2017-11-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-15 03:20
I wonder how many of your critics are willing to claim that they never violate actual laws and regulations while flying even though you apparently violated neither. And FYI, your harshest critic in this thread has in the past been banned from this forum for repeatedly and deliberately breaking its rules, so it's ironic that he's attacking you for not following ones he made up himself.

So you are comparing banned from a forum to damaging property and criminal mischief?    

Man you are really hilarious...keep it up maybe you will get couple of miles from DJI for good behavior and then you can ask your body Alabama to calculate your dollar amount for you . he is really good at math  and we have the link to prove it:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=583293
2017-11-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-15 09:34

here is the meaning of "criminal Mischief" by your canadian law:

I'm not in Canada, nor, apparently is the OP.

And as far as the pilot in the article I linked to goes, the Mountain View police said outright that he'd committed no crime. Was that the best thing you could come up with to support your "criminal mischief" claim?
2017-11-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-15 09:46

So you are a lawyer now. You bet your life on it that he won't be charged for the damages that he did.

Since you moved back to the US from Canada (I guess they can stand ) here is the US law:

United States. In United States criminal law, mischief is an offense against property that does not involve conversion. It typically involves any damage, defacement, alteration, or destruction of property.

United States. In United States criminal law, mischief is an offense against property that does not involve conversion. It typically involves any damage, defacement, alteration, or destruction of property.

Again, go for it and try it and prove us wrong!

2017-11-15
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-15 09:46

Really man?

What this mean then?

"olice are asking for the public’s help in identifying the drone pilot, who was last seen leaving the area in a white hatchback. Anyone with information can call the anonymous tip line at 650-386-8063."

Maybe the police want to know who he is so they can build a statue for him outside City Hall?  

You are really

2017-11-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am the E Posted at 2017-11-15 10:09
Really man?

What this mean then?

Not only a statue but throw him a parade on Main Street  

2017-11-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

To address the one valid question you raised, here's what the police had to say:

"This wouldn't go to court on our end. At most, if wrong was done, this could result in civil penalties. The FAA would have to determine if there was any criminal liability." -- Mountain View Police Department

In other words, the police said there was no "criminal mischief" or any other crime besides what the FAA might throw at the guy, such as flying too close to an airport without providing notification. So as I said, you have no cite for the "going to jail for criminal mischief" claim.
2017-11-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules