1472 18 2017-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jake daniel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136312 ft
Mauritius

Hi all,

Am going on holiday soon with my mavic and two batteries + 1 pahantom 3 with 1 battery for my son, and am searching for help concerning how to succeed passing the custom at the airport with the lipo batteries.
As far as i have seen from the net some airport may not authorized carrying lipo batteries. what should i do? how to present the case? Can dji batery specs help, etc?
Thanks for your advices.
2017-11-13
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can tape up the terminal battery ends and place them individually in a lipo bag that you should be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector ... L70_&dpSrc=srch
2017-11-13
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-13 06:36
You can tape up the terminal battery ends and place them individually in a lipo bag that you should be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Resistant-Explosionproof-Compartment-Batteries/dp/B075T7JMSD/ref=sr_1_6?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1510583603&sr=1-6&keywords=lipo+battery+small+bags&dpID=51spAtfb5JL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks a lot my dear this is very useful
2017-11-13
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

Every time i traveled i just had the batteries sitting in the drone case. No troubles.

2017-11-13
Use props
Colin G4GBP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42533 ft
United Kingdom

Flew recently. Put all the batteries in a Lipo case with the terminals taped and put in hand Luggage along with controller. Downloaded and printed Airline's policy on Lipos ready for any awkward questions. Also took a copy of my purchase invoice. Had no problems because they could see that I cared.
2017-11-13
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charge should not be more than 50% but contact the airline to confirm. I travelled to Lanzarote this year and just rang them to check. Took them a while to find the correct person who knew the rules but they were super glad that I had rang to ask. The airport security didn't even give it a second look or check it after it went through the scanner. They must be used to them by now. Lipo bags and secured terminals - to avoid shorts. All in hand luggage I'm afraid.
2017-11-13
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

Colin G4GBP Posted at 2017-11-13 08:24
Flew recently. Put all the batteries in a Lipo case with the terminals taped and put in hand Luggage along with controller. Downloaded and printed Airline's policy on Lipos ready for any awkward questions. Also took a copy of my purchase invoice. Had no problems because they could see that I cared.

yes true, you're right i'am preparing the docs too. Any link for the airline policy on lipo? thanks
2017-11-13
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-11-13 10:20
Charge should not be more than 50% but contact the airline to confirm. I travelled to Lanzarote this year and just rang them to check. Took them a while to find the correct person who knew the rules but they were super glad that I had rang to ask. The airport security didn't even give it a second look or check it after it went through the scanner. They must be used to them by now. Lipo bags and secured terminals - to avoid shorts. All in hand luggage I'm afraid.

Yes was thinking to discharge them the max i can. I think in the hand language its better
2017-11-13
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

jake daniel Posted at 2017-11-13 10:51
Yes was thinking to discharge them the max i can. I think in the hand language its better

Hi.

What Airline company are you using? Check their home page there you will find the rules for them
I travel a lot on Europe and they have stopped looking now. I guess it has become so common.

Have a nice trip and happy flying
2017-11-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

jake daniel Posted at 2017-11-13 10:51

Try to not go below 40% or so.

2017-11-13
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32904 ft
United States

Took my Mavic to several places and sought advice from a pro photographer; first and foremost, check airline requirements before you go, and as mentioned, either download them into your phone, or print them out (some agents don't know the policy and it helps to show them what the airline policy is, vs arguing with them). Batteries were removed from Mavic, I placed a piece of masking tape over the connection ports and placed each battery into a ziploc bag, then back into the slot inside the carrying case (I used a case we had purchased a long time ago for carrying firearms, and never got around to actually setting them up, they've got "pick-and-pluck" foam, allowing for a custom suited padded case, which worked great) but I digress, inside the case slots, inside the bag is good. MUST BE CARRY ON, can't stress that enough. There is still the chance someone will say "No", including the pilot, but I haven't had any issues with the exception of one customs stop, an agent wanted to "inspect" the spare prop blades to make sure they weren't a threat. They were the "spares", still sealed in the DJI factor boxes and he made me open them all up, pull them out so he could look at them all. Aside from that, if you follow the airline policy, you should be fine. There's always exceptions to the rule, but you should be good.
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the answers provided, hope they help.
Wish you a good journey.
2017-11-13
Use props
Boston_H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2854 ft
New Zealand

Put them in your carry on luggage
2017-11-13
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

Flybee Posted at 2017-11-13 11:08
Hi.

What Airline company are you using? Check their home page there you will find the rules for them

Hi,
will fly with air Mauritius, i will check their regulations on the items
2017-11-15
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-11-13 12:29
Try to not go below 40% or so.

Why not? was thinking for about 10% remaining
2017-11-15
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

PSDTrainer Posted at 2017-11-13 13:26
Took my Mavic to several places and sought advice from a pro photographer; first and foremost, check airline requirements before you go, and as mentioned, either download them into your phone, or print them out (some agents don't know the policy and it helps to show them what the airline policy is, vs arguing with them). Batteries were removed from Mavic, I placed a piece of masking tape over the connection ports and placed each battery into a ziploc bag, then back into the slot inside the carrying case (I used a case we had purchased a long time ago for carrying firearms, and never got around to actually setting them up, they've got "pick-and-pluck" foam, allowing for a custom suited padded case, which worked great) but I digress, inside the case slots, inside the bag is good. MUST BE CARRY ON, can't stress that enough. There is still the chance someone will say "No", including the pilot, but I haven't had any issues with the exception of one customs stop, an agent wanted to "inspect" the spare prop blades to make sure they weren't a threat. They were the "spares", still sealed in the DJI factor boxes and he made me open them all up, pull them out so he could look at them all. Aside from that, if you follow the airline policy, you should be fine. There's always exceptions to the rule, but you should be good.

Thanks dear for your good advice. I have ordered the lipo fire proof bag. and for sure will go with all the related docs.
2017-11-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

jake daniel Posted at 2017-11-15 09:01

Because you don't know how good the calibration is.  10% could easily take some cells below the safe voltage (for one thing).  The percentage charge reading is not an accurate picture of the health of your battery's cells.  You can easily damage it by running it so low, especially if you are loading it heavily.
2017-11-15
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

jake daniel Posted at 2017-11-15 09:01

The batteries are so "weak" and way below the limits so you do not need to go that far.

Buy a "lipo bag" it makes you feel better at least.
2017-11-18
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32904 ft
United States

jake daniel Posted at 2017-11-15 09:04
Thanks dear for your good advice. I have ordered the lipo fire proof bag. and for sure will go with all the related docs.

Very welcome, you should be good. I used a simple "Ziploc" bag(s) and they were acceptable. The LiPo bags are an added level of safety and should allow you smooth travel. Best of luck! I hope you get some great shots!
2017-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules