Phantom 3's 4K footage question
4267 13 2015-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

My Hero 4/Phantom 2 set up yeilds some wonderful 4K video BUT I'm fairly exhasted with the GoPro fisheye view of the world. "Fisheye fixers" in post are way too distructive so footage really isn't usable with the effect applied to remove the distortion.

I was wondering if there's anyone here that woud be so kind as to post a download link to the RAW 4K footage from thier new Phantom 3? I'd love to see it first hand and do some color correction/grading tests. I know it's a lot to ask.... but didn't think it would hurt to try.

Thanks in advance.
2015-4-11
Use props
irrbloss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 210669 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I would be interested in that too. Doesn't have to be a long clip. About 5-10 seconds will do.
2015-4-11
Use props
NorthernLoop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300246 ft
United Kingdom

Subscribing to this.
2015-4-11
Use props
Rudgey
New

United Kingdom

I would really like to download a high res still image too
2015-4-11
Use props
jimmyd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219275 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ditto that.
2015-4-12
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was posted by Blade Strike you can download the MP4 file from here:

Here is the uploaded mp4 file
http://dji.serveftp.org/video/dji_0004-clips.zip
2015-4-12
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-13 11:22
This was posted by Blade Strike you can download the MP4 file from here:

Here is the uploaded mp4 f ...

Very cool. Thanks Tahoe_Ed.
2015-4-13
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Well.... rats.

After looking at the footage it's good. Not wow, but good. Love the 94º non-fisheye view. The gimbal looks steady - though not level. Didn't notice a lot of rolling shutter or jello. I wonder if you can use ND filters like the ones for the GoPro from Snake River Prototyping? It needs it bad to get a more natural motion blur on fast moving ground or objects. Has the "video" look because the camera a shooting at such a high shutter speed.

The GoPro Hero 4's 4K footage is much cleaner and more detailed. (But you have to put up with fisheye world.) I wonder how much post processing was done to this clip? Honestly it looks like 1080 upscaled to 4K in post but maybe that's from what looks like over-sharpening in post. Maybe too much in-camera sharpening? The camera's auto exposure changes in hard stops instead of smooth graduations when tilting from down to up.  (At the :45 mark when going from darker to brighter scene.) That's not good.

And of course maybe I'm full of crap and this isn't the best example of Phantom 3's 4K footage.
2015-4-13
Use props
ricardoparalle
lvl.4

Spain

You can ask the same, in the Inspire1 forum.
Is not the same camera?
2015-4-13
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pro has same cam as the inspire.
2015-4-13
Use props
neil
lvl.1

United States

Can we assume that the best still shots will be made from the Vision or the Vplus having 14 megapixels as opposed to 12?
2015-4-14
Use props
andybandy4k
lvl.1

Germany

No... It's not all about megapixels... There is a lot more to it like sensor size and lens for example.
2015-4-14
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Sensor size is the same 1/2.3".  Actually on such a small sensor going down in pixel count is a good thing.  The pixels can be a bit bigger and as such give a better picture.  Bigger pixels can capture more light with less noise.  12MP for a sensor this small is still a stretch.  8MP is still more prevalent for these small sensors.  Doubt the difference will be noticeable at all actually.  They did improve the camera lens, but without upgrading the sensor its not going to make all that much of a difference.  Agree with the fish-eye, although GoPro made its mark marketing the Fish-eye view.  Now the push is to get rid of it.  I was really hoping the new offering was going to address the sensor more so than the newest fad to 4K.  Everybody seems to want 4K but most don't really know why.  The sensor on this camera is just one tick above the iPhone 5.  I am not looking for DSLR quality, but something that would at least be on par with a good point and shoot.
2015-4-14
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

subscribing to this thread.
2015-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now