Drowned in Sea Inspire 1, No speed in the bird!
1736 13 2015-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Hello, today i was flying my Inspire 1, i took off from ground, headed front to photograph a Ship, i was completed when i finish taking the pictures, had 60% battery left, when i headed back the bird didnt accelerate more than 7meters/minute, changed to ATTI, now accelerated to 9meters/minute, but the regular speed is 18 to 23 meters/minute, the battery finished, the bird landed in water at 400meters away from the shoreline, lasted like 20minutes in the water, then i recovered, i even went in a small boat with a diver to get it. Was very scare, now, could you please help and tell me what should i do?
2015-4-11
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

Do you know the wind speed at that moment?
2015-4-11
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like to me you didn't account for the wind speed and direction. When flying long distances, you never fly against the wind coming back home. If you do you should not go out as far. Always have a tail wind when flying back home especially if you're going out far.
2015-4-11
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Ok, what should i do? Send it to DJI? How do i check the Flight log? What happen with the device after it got wet? How do i get the code to send it?
2015-4-11
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Salt water is pretty much the death of electronics. I have heard, That is to say I am not sure, that you need to rinse with fresh water, I know, sounds really bad but you cant leave the salt there. Then blow dry everything, then put all parts in bag of rice for 3-4 days. Then maybe, just maybe, it may work but to be honest, I doubt you could salvage much. Sounds like it was in the water for quite some time. VERY VERY sorry to hear about your wet landing.
2015-4-11
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recall reading that DJI won't even try to repair it if it is water damaged. I suggest you call them before trying to send it in. I have to agree with Houston. Salt water in particular is almost certain death for electronics.
2015-4-11
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I did cleaned with many bottled water, the camera too, the battery 3 hours later it opened up, so its useless, the camera its in rice, i'll try to place the copter too, but its size its difficult, was on vacation so its not the same as i was home.

Spoke to Dji chat support, they wont try to repair it, but the want the flight log, beacause i am claiming that the battery (tb48) was fully charged and it only lasted 16 minutes, and when it was at 60% capacity it started to downcharge very quick, thats why i never got to the shoreline, and i must correct it was only 250meters away from the beach.

I'll try to claim, but i'm not sure that i could get them to replace my unit.
2015-4-11
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

It's not a total loss, there are MANY parts on that thing that are sellable, RIGHT NOW.
Landing gear, carbon arms, etc, there's easily $1000-1500 worth of parts you can salvage   -

Bob
2015-4-11
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Thats a good notice Bob, do you think that if i let it dry for a week and turn on again it could work, at least to get the flight record? The Battery its useless, it opened by hersefl, like exploded. The camera was rinsed off the salt water and placed in a rice bag, but i dont know how to disarm the inspire to dry it...
2015-4-11
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

Australia

houston Posted at 2015-4-12 08:52
Salt water is pretty much the death of electronics. I have heard, That is to say I am not sure, that ...

DISTILLED WATER is what you should use to rinse
2015-4-11
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry man, that is very sad. Once everything is dry you can try a new battery to power it back up. Maybe then you can download the flight logs from the inspire....

2015-4-11
Use props
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

Sorry to hear your loss.

I do not like the auto land feature and I hope they make it selectable (On/Off) in a future FW update

Can you remember what your Critical Battery setting was?

I believe the default is 20%. You can lower that value to 10% .. that may have got your bird home.

Good luck with your Inspire...I hope it is  repairable
2015-4-12
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Anybody knows how to disarm the white plastic so i could dry it well!
2015-4-12
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

How can i apply for the 30% discount if i want to buy another unit? maybe Tahoe_ed could give me a hand
2015-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules