24262 27 2017-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

i had a crash yesterday and when I got to the drone 2 props had stopped (they were touching the ground), 2 were spinning and responded to throttle, but wouldn’t stop until after I picked it up.
I didn’t want to pick it up with spinning props, but also didn’t want to burn out the motors.
What should I have done (other than not crash)?
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A CSC will shut it didn't.

The same stick motion (down-in) you use to start the drone...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Hold left stick all the way down and wait.
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-15 11:18
Hold left stick all the way down and wait.

It has been noted, that a drone not sitting flat and upright, may not shut down, with our regular means.

It may take manually turning off the battery.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

CSC = combination of stick commands the starter and the emergency brake for the motors. This is the safest way to turn off the air craft ´s motors.
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CSC may work, or it might not...

Here are the stick combinations for it.

Don't attemp these while on the ground, as your drone might do a 180* flip...

RedHotPoker

2017-11-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Left stick down only works to stop the motors when the aircraft lands, it operates on the principle that the aircraft stops descending and is therefore presumed to have landed. But in a crash, particularly if the aircraft is upside down, even a CSC does not always seem to work. In that case, switch off the battery.
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-15 14:53
Left stick down only works to stop the motors when the aircraft lands, it operates on the principle that the aircraft stops descending and is therefore presumed to have landed. But in a crash, particularly if the aircraft is upside down, even a CSC does not always seem to work. In that case, switch off the battery.

In that case, I was fortunate that my drone landed completely upside down.

& all though the motors kept spinning, it only scuffed the prop caps above the threaded centres.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I'll just add a couple more minor details...

It takes a second or two for CSC to turn off the motors.  I guess it used to be instant but apparently there was a fw upgrade at some point a year or two ago that changed it.  

If the AC lands upside down and CSC won't work, I'd walk over and pick it up by the landing gear holding firmly with one hand, turn it right side up, then down left stick.  MHO.  Don't put your eye out.  
2017-11-15
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

CSC was my go to, that’s what I thought was that emergency shut down. Either I didn’t wait long enough or it didn’t work.
Like I mentioned, after u picked it up I could just throttle it off, didn’t have to battery pull.
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sunny D Posted at 2017-11-15 18:30
CSC was my go to, that’s what I thought was that emergency shut down. Either I didn’t wait long enough or it didn’t work.
Like I mentioned, after u picked it up I could just throttle it off, didn’t have to battery pull.

You should hold the sticks about 3 seconds to stop motors. BTW, P4 has a different way of turning off motors.
stop.JPG
2017-11-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Just to add to others preceding posts, and because it is a P3 section ...

LEFT stick down only works if AC is truly stationary on the ground. Any slight movement and it will not work. It also takes up to 3 seconds to initiate. This is to avoid it happening in the air ... it detects descent of AC and knows its still airborne.

Both sticks IN AND DOWN will shut off motors in the air / on the ground ... but again needs a few seconds to act - this is to avoid accidental use of two sticks in the air.
My crash of my P3P in the tree few days ago and its tumbling through the  branches proved it works while still in motion.

If all else fails - my P3S wouldn't switch off by battery when it had its 'swim' - so pulling the battery out was only solution.

So 4 ways :

1. Left stick down is usual way

2. Both sticks in and down is the emergency cut

3. Switch off battery if 1 or 2 does not work

4. Pull battery out if none above work.

Nigel
2017-11-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-16 01:47
LEFT stick down only works if AC is truly stationary on the ground. ...

This is incorrect.  Left stick down works while holding the AC in your hand.  Yes, of course you have to hold the AC still.   Hand catchers know this and do it all the time.  

I'm not recommending this due to the danger of being close to the prop - I'm just suggesting it - as it certainly works and it works very nicely.  There are limitations, of course.  For example, on a boat in rough water, it very well may not work at all.  

solentlife - you have the floor...
2017-11-16
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Simples......

RTFM.

On a serious note - you should have known - read and understood - the emergency shut-down procedure before flying.
2017-11-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-11-16 04:17
This is incorrect.  Left stick down works while holding the AC in your hand.  Yes, of course you have to hold the AC still.   Hand catchers know this and do it all the time.  

I'm not recommending this due to the danger of being close to the prop - I'm just suggesting it - as it certainly works and it works very nicely.  There are limitations, of course.  For example, on a boat in rough water, it very well may not work at all.  

Correct - it does work when Hand Catch ... the point is the stationary aspect.

There was a case of a guy in the media not so long ago who hand caught his pal's Phantom .... because it twisted in his hand and not stationary - he ended up in hospital.

I am no advocate of Hand Catching except in circumstances it suits better. So I relate to ground use.

Mark - please stop this childish ... You have the floor .... I'm not interested in one-upmanship or gamesmanship. We all have opinions - views ....

Nigel
2017-11-16
Use props
FlightFilm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81493 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Isn't it posible to turn off this feature to "turn off motors in the air" ?
Descending doing a law while flying backward to one of the sides,
and suddenly it crashes... :-(
2019-2-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

What you described isn't likely and I've never heard of it actually happening, but I suppose it's remotely possible.  You can't disable the CSC feature, but IIRC, msinger was selling a gizmo that fit over the controller sticks to effectively disable it.  You might PM him and ask him about it.  
2019-2-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Turn off CSC ?

The manouevre if CSC was turned off would be unbelievable ... imagine it ...

Left stick down gives max rate descent
Left stick left or right corner while full down ... means max rotation while descending
Right stick down gives full backward movement
Right stick full left or right while full down ... means max banked angled flight back ...

Mind boggles what would be actual full result !!

WOW ... love to see the video !!
2019-2-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Don't attempt these while on the ground, as your drone might do a 180* flip...

Quote is about not doing a full CSC while on the ground.

Yesterday I did a test because an owner was saying his hub 'dots' ... the black and silver caps appeared to be 'wobbling' which got me to wanting to see if I could replicate. Yeh I know - crazy ... but anyway - my 'dots' were fine.
While doing this test - performed it twice  - I did the normal Left Stick only down. Fine as expected.

Next making sure I brought both sticks down together - I did the full CSC ... and was surprised at the result. First the AC never tilted, never moved at all, but the motors were sped up and a whine sound came from the AC as it was trying to 'force down' ... then motors stopped.

I do not recc'd CSC on the ground - I was just testing to see what happens

2019-2-12
Use props
CoolestRides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5076896 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lessons learned.   Never land in manual, always Normal.  Use prop guards in hopes this will prevent the props from hitting pavement when landing.  Its good reason to have the throttle not jump to center.   My drone tore itself to pieces.    2nd flight. Live and learn.   Question:  Even in normal does the drone die when there's an IMU error?  Does it have an IMU error since its designed for acrobatics?h

2021-11-18
Use props
DJsReps
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United States

I found two ways to stop the motor and CSC aint one of them.  This is my first Rant.   I can CSC start the motors but no way CSC stops them.  Tek support says just a tap sticks to CSC will stop motors but I think tek support is wrong, as most what I read says you have to hold that stick position 3 seconds.  Makes more sense wont kill motors trying a new stunt.  Tek support had me exchange drone at Best Buy and it does same thing.  Tek support told me my phone was not on the list approved for the Fly App.  DJI Tek support is sub standard but they do try.   A few YouTube coarses fixed my Activation PITA.   If I hold CSC for 3 seconds it just revs way up and by 5 seconds it is jumping erratically on the ground and would have prop strike.  The first time it happened was inside on a  table 4' from my wife, Not Cool DJI
1. Turn off remote / radio,  AC must detect that and stops motors.   I have only tried this on the ground but works every time.  I hate to assume it would drop the AC right out of mid flight.
2. Take off one meter enough then hold panic button auto land mode motors stop works every time.
  >>Next version goggles should have switchable tiny PIPicture and a forward facing camera and blue tooth viewer to cell or tablet and send all screen data to the viewer.
2022-2-8
Use props
DJsReps
lvl.1
United States

I found two ways to stop the motor and CSC aint one of them.  This is my first Rant.   I can CSC start the motors but no way CSC stops them.  Tek support says just a tap sticks to CSC will stop motors but I think tek support is wrong, as most what I read says you have to hold that stick position 3 seconds.  Makes more sense wont kill motors trying a new stunt.  Tek support had me exchange drone at Best Buy and it does same thing.  Tek support told me my phone was not on the list approved for the Fly App.  DJI Tek support is sub standard but they do try.   A few YouTube coarses fixed my Activation PITA.   If I hold CSC for 3 seconds it just revs way up and by 5 seconds it is jumping erratically on the ground and would have prop strike.  The first time it happened was inside on a  table 4' from my wife, Not Cool DJI
1. Turn off remote / radio,  AC must detect that and stops motors.   I have only tried this on the ground but works every time.  I hate to assume it would drop the AC right out of mid flight.
2. Take off one meter enough then hold panic button auto land mode motors stop works every time.
  >>Next version goggles should have switchable tiny PIPicture and a forward facing camera and blue tooth viewer to cell or tablet and send all screen data to the viewer.
2022-2-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

2022-2-8
Use props
DJsReps
lvl.1
United States

I tried to upload my video but this forum would not run mpv4.  Below is my Google Drive link to a similar video as above gone Bad.  I want C-1 double tap set to instantly stop motors, and single press to start.     

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CTZ-nyWP2cqQfCOl6PEYJZ7q-508gRaG/view?usp=sharing

DJI FPV
2022-2-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

DJsReps Posted at 2-8 11:58
I tried to upload my video but this forum would not run mpv4.  Below is my Google Drive link to a similar video as above gone Bad.  I want C-1 double tap set to instantly stop motors, and single press to start.     

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CTZ-nyWP2cqQfCOl6PEYJZ7q-508gRaG/view?usp=sharing

Left stick down and hold will stop the motors, right?  Because CSC may cause the drone to jump around which is unfavorable.  That's why experienced pilots recommend left stick down and hold when stopping motors while on the ground.  Good luck
2022-2-8
Use props
DJsReps
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Mark that worked above is from the manual. I dont know why method 2 wont work.
2022-2-8
Use props
DJsReps
lvl.1
United States

wrong pic
2022-2-8
Use props
DJsReps
lvl.1
United States

Manual says when the AC has landed method 1 works.  My AC was not airborne I did CSC to spin up motors then another CSC to stop.  I just tried the method 1 not air borne and it did stop the motors Thanks Mark!
2022-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules