Petition Poll - Please vote - Do you want Ground Station for P3?
123Next >
13152 99 2015-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droneking
lvl.1

United States

Do you want Ground Station for P3?

Please vote and let this poll act as a petition. I hope enough we get enough votes to make DJI include Ground Station with P3.

Single SelectVote, Total 775 people participate in voting
95.87% (743)
4.13% (32)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-4-11
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

Petitions  usually don't work and even if it did doubt they'd make one anytime soon.
2015-4-11
Use props
tabbe
lvl.2

Finland

Ground Station can be made 3rd party when SDK comes avaible. If DJI makes groundstation to P3 and not for Inspire 1 that would make people even more mad since they kinda promised that during Inspire 1 launch.

2015-4-12
Use props
david.moisson.m
lvl.1
Flight distance : 473323 ft
Belgium

Never really used it on my P2V+
2015-4-12
Use props
t_mcmurran.yaho
lvl.1

Canada

How about for the inspire?
2015-4-12
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Yea seriously!   We paid $3000 and now the Phantom 3 has almost identical features for $2000 less
2015-4-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

tpallai Posted at 2015-4-12 23:27
Yea seriously!   We paid $3000 and now the Phantom 3 has almost identical features for $2000 less

So lets make the Inspire 1000 dollar cheaper
Such a poll is funny because nobody would vote no i dont want a backpack. Even when ppl dont need backpacks they will vote yes and sell it on ebay
2015-4-12
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-4-12 23:39
Such a poll is funny because nobody would vote no ...

I was thinking the same thing lol.
2015-4-12
Use props
tabbe
lvl.2

Finland

Daninho Posted at 2015-4-12 23:39
Such a poll is funny because nobody would vote no ...

Sure they will drop Inspire 1 price and 1000 dollars sounds appealing. But they cannot do it yet, not when product is 5 months old.

Mostly this will happen when Inspire 2 is about to be released.

These polls are quiet funny since it takes them 2 weeks to reply email, nobody at DJI got time to read forums
2015-4-12
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

I've said it once....and I will repeat it here....there will be NO WAYPOINT capability coming from DJI. They have too much invested in this to be wiped out in a negligence lawsuit. They will leave this to smaller, hungrier developers. The agencies that control the airspaces do not want autonomous aircraft flying about....."observe and avoid" is the philosophy followed by most agencies. Sure I really liked waypoint...but I have learned to love my "Live Map" and have learned to fly the thing myself.
2015-4-12
Use props
droneking
lvl.1

United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-4-13 01:55
I've said it once....and I will repeat it here....there will be NO WAYPOINT capability coming from D ...

What if we get hundreds of votes here - That would be millions of dollars in sales
They cant afford to regress on a great feature in a newer more advanced release.
2015-4-12
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Good luck with that. I admire your youthful enthusiasm....but it will make no difference.
2015-4-12
Use props
droneking
lvl.1

United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-4-13 07:29
Good luck with that. I admire your youthful enthusiasm....but it will make no difference.

50 votes so far. That's a great start
2015-4-12
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

I've said it once....and I will repeat it here....there will be NO WAYPOINT capability coming from D ...

Well if they expect developers to make the apps for them then they better release the SDK soon after the P3 is released or else we're gonna be waiting a long time for a feature that really should be there out of the box.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
2015-4-12
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

You mean like all the million of lawsuits they already had with the P2V+????  Are people really this naive????
2015-4-13
Use props
droneking
lvl.1

United States

inching close to a 100 votes....This is an overwhelming expression of popular opinion. These numbers say a lot
2015-4-13
Use props
utkinpol
New

United States

I have cancelled my order. Exchange with sales rep confirmed this info. literally what was told -
"The answer we can offer now is comparatively conventional and is "not for now".
Phantom 3 is shrunk-function product of Inspire 1. Generally P3 is surposed to have most new features of previous products. But we can not say it for sure yet.
The product is still on production line and it is out of our knowledge to give specific answers.
"

I think I will explore what #D Robotics did on Solo model, you can read below it is apparently capable to "fly the Solo to point A, frame a shot press a button. Next, fly to point B, frame a shot, press a button. This creates a virtual "cable" between these points, and the Solo will only fly between them in a straight line, panning and tilting the camera as it goes".
But my concern is that their operational range is only half a mile, not sure. It looks like all this tech is just way too premature to invest into with an intention to use it for actual business, I need a tool that works and not a 'figure it out yourself' puzzle with no support. Honestly I am quite frustrated, as I think 1080 60fps video stream is all I would need from this tool and at $1000 price point it would be an amazing product to use, IF it would be able to do pre-programmed routes. What I want is literally what is quoted above from that Solo ad article, it is beyond me why DJI decided to sabotage this new product. I think their marketing has no idea why people actually buy those tools for. Just to fool around and fly dumb non-intelligent drones I have my 2 hubsans.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/13/3d-robotics-solo-smart-drone/
2015-4-14
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

Nice new drone
2015-4-14
Use props
martinmarty
New

United States

I'm not sure what you people are talking about, but I think it may be relevant to my quest. What I want to do is be able to program the quad to go to a certain location using GPS, then perform a sequence of moves and camera operations automatically. I would manually fly it into the general area, then hit a button and have it execute its program, then manually fly it home. After doing this for a period of time, every day/week, etc. I want to create a time lapse video of, for example, a construction site.

Can the P3 already do this or is that what you all are kicking around here?

I haven't ordered one yet - wanted to investigate first. It seems like this would be a common customer request. If not the DJI product then perhaps some other? I'm just a hobbyist so I don't want to spend $10K but a P3 + iPad might be within reach if it will do what I want.

THANKS,
-Marty
2015-4-14
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Kinda bugs me out to think groundstation would be removed from p3 when it's included with all p2s. My guess is they're not ready but it simply will be included in the near future. Or is there anything I'm missing?
2015-4-14
Use props
cameronlevine
lvl.1

United States

xzces Posted at 2015-4-14 22:54
Kinda bugs me out to think groundstation would be removed from p3 when it's included with all p2s. M ...

They won't include it at all themselves. They said they are leaving it to third party developers to create.
2015-4-14
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Dji's  ground station is nice and stable on the P2 i have tried the others and they all fall well short  with loads of bugs and crashing all the time .
2015-4-14
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

cameronlevine Posted at 2015-4-14 23:26
They won't include it at all themselves. They said they are leaving it to third party developers t ...

Truly a shame then. It always seemed like the pilot app was ready for groundstation. They also said it would be released for the inspire 1 in the future. Ah whell.. My phantom 2 will still be fine for autonomous flights for a long time to come. No need for me to upgrade then lol..
2015-4-14
Use props
droneking
lvl.1

United States

With 114 votes, this thread is now the most replied/polled thread in the P3 sub-forum. We are inching towards 150 'Yes' votes.

I hope this thread is being read and something is being done about it. It is not wise to ignore the poll results. Over 90% of the voters numbering well over a hundred want Ground Station.

2015-4-15
Use props
dashtwo
lvl.2

United States

I had been eying the P2V+ for some time and just didn't take the plunge. There is now a preorder in for me for a P3 and now I have a concern. Please correct any of my assumptions if they are wrong. I am trying to be more informed.
As I understand it with the P2V+, Using the "Vision" app, You could set "waypoints" and then focus on operating the camera and less on flight. Also, since your tablet or phone would not be tethered to the controller, I thought one person would be able to operate the camera (standing close with tablet) while the other controlled the craft.
While the Inspire 1 uses the Pilot app which does not have ground station but has the ability to bind two controllers to achieve the above stated result.
Now I feel like the P3 is "stuck outside the middle" and not capable of any of these options with no ground station, no dual controller support and USB tethering of the phone or tablet.
I hope that I am misunderstanding or misinformed because now I want to cancel this purchase
Thanks for any additional info or corrections
2015-4-16
Use props
scottyboys427
New

United States

What!!?? no way points !? I just preordered this thing to do some mapping guess Im going to have to cancel and go with PV2 these will still have ground station right? what a bust
2015-4-16
Use props
droneking
lvl.1

United States

I am considering cancelling too. I think quite a lot of people cancelled
2015-4-16
Use props
scottyboys427
New

United States

I just cancelled my order threw amazon this was a huge let down for me .. its no longer a drone now and I guess that's what they were aiming for, now its just a flying RC with a camera might as well buy a damn bebop. I think Im going to wait and see what go-pro can do with there platform and check out some others.. in the mean time I can probably buy a used PV2 for half the price since they released the P3...
2015-4-16
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

I ordered one 10 minutes ago. Cancelled it 30 seconds ago. No waypoints, no sale.
2015-4-16
Use props
hankhill123
lvl.1

United States

So does that mean once a qualified 3rd party will develop an even better ground station ya'll will un-cancel your cancels?
2015-4-16
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I want DJI to focus on their SDK. This will make a much bigger difference to most of us than a native GroundStation feature. Also if you have been following the news about drones and DJI, you know that the company does not want to put in features that could get it in trouble with the FAA. Their last version of GroundStation for the Phantom 2 Vision Plus had an extremely limited range most likely due to the line of sight restriction. With the SDK, DJI can leave the decisions of how waypoints should work to pilots and third party app developers which can adapt more easily to changing regulations.

The poll should read: Would you prefer an extremely limited DJI GroundStation feature or a robust SDK that allows a wide variety of waypoint features in third party apps designed for specific use cases (such as cinematography or crop surveys or surveying or ...?)

2015-4-19
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

I'd like a third option: "No, don't discourage the best creative ideas of independent developers by forcing them to compete with a preexisting monopoly that could still make the exact same profit without doing so."

(Or is that too wordy?)
2015-4-20
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

hankhill123 Posted at 2015-4-17 12:33
So does that mean once a qualified 3rd party will develop an even better ground station ya'll will u ...

By the time a decent third party gs comes out the P3 will be on version 2 or even 3 .I have tried quite a few and they are very buggy and unstable compaired to DJI's  ground station app.Would you want to risk your new P3 with a third party app that the developrs  churn out and most likley will not support in the future .
2015-4-21
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

I think the ground station features are likely to disappear from all of the DJI software due to the new FCC regulations which require the operator to maintain visual contact and control at all times.  You will probably see this ground station feature go away from the Pantom 2 Vision+ software too.

Hopefully they can justify it for the inspire.  But I would not be surprised to see it go away in USA due to the FCC rules.
2015-4-21
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Hmmm..  I probably got wrong information.  I called yesterday and sales rep told me that waypoints was in the works for the phantom 3 and would probably be released fairly soon.   Just have to wait and see.
2015-4-22
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-4-22 02:16
I think the ground station features are likely to disappear from all of the DJI software due to the  ...

The FCC has nothing to do with it, I think you mean the FAA.
2015-4-22
Use props
droneking
lvl.1

United States

inching towards 200 votes.
2015-4-22
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

I need this for farm related work.   Add it please
2015-4-24
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been told that waypoints, poi will be available in 3-5 months from DJI for both the Inspire and the P3 as they both will share the same App.  I hesitate to release this information but it comes from someone high up in DJI and they are pushing hard to make this happen in a timely manner.  Please don't shoot the messenger.  I report, you decide.  
2015-4-25
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-25 23:13
I have been told that waypoints, poi will be available in 3-5 months from DJI for both the Inspire a ...

"Fair and balanced" too.
2015-4-25
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules