Unofficial Beta Test Report
1853 18 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

Let me first tell you why I bought the I-1. After more than three years of building and flying UAVs I wanted that "out of the box - ready to fly" solution that just performs as promised - I was convinced that the I-1 would be that product.

After 30+ flights with the I-1 I feel less and less confident flying it. In fact I don't trust my I-1 anymore and am extremely skeptical and cautious when flying. I meanwhile really consider myself a beta tester  - that's why I called this thread accordingly. I am on the latest firmware and DJI Pilot app versions.

This is a list of problems (bugs) I have experienced:
1. Battery drops from 35% to 6% in one second. I know a cell could fail but what freaked me out was how the I-1 reacted: The battery drop happened in 1.5m and it not just wanted to auto-land but first initiated a RTH without climbing to the defined RTH height. It almost hit me and later a tree when it tried to fly "home". I was able to fight against RTH and "land" it before it would have hit the tree.
-
2. I played around with the different camera modes (follow, free, FPV) when suddenly the I-1 was only flying in one direction no matter where I directed it to fly. No matter if I wanted to go right, left, forward, backward -every stick input resulted in movement towards the same direction. THIS WAS IN GPS MODE! It seemed as if the I-1 was flying in the same direction I had the camera locked to, no matter where I really wanted to go. A manual switch to ATTI saved me.
-
3. Occasional GPS loss / switch to ATTI during flight (even in open space and at high altitudes)
-
4. Occasional Compass Errors during flight (even in open space and at high altitudes)
-
5. Video signal loss even within 200m distance. (I've tried fixes described in other threads with no luck)
I once had problem 3 and 5 at the same time while being 500m away on a windy day. Suddenly I wasn't able to see the video feed while the I-1 went to ATTI mode and wind pushed it towards a forest. An emergency ascend saved me here before GPS mode came back.

I really hope the next firmware version is going to solve these issues while in the meantime I keep my I-1 grounded.

2015-4-12
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I have seen all these issues with mine too. I feel so ripped off by DJI
2015-4-12
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

All old news Marco. These items have been covered over and over on the forums. I trust all of us are waiting for the eminent release of the new firmware to see what deficiencies are remedied.
2015-4-12
Use props
stephenbrink62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380522 ft
South Africa

Hey Marco...you are one of many of us, i flew once with my I1 & as soon as it dropped GPS in mid flight i knew something was up & have grounded it ever since until the new firmware is update. So for now i stick to my Phantom 2 V+.. not worth the risk. Ive been told that Beta testing is now complete & that we should have the new firmware in a week or 2. Let's see if these issue's have been resolved, don't give up hope m8.
2015-4-12
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

Mine has never been airborne since receiving it on Feb 4th.  Early on it was the weather that kept it grounded. But during that time, reading the issues others have had and knowing this is my first drone, I have red tagged mine until the new firmware is out. And even then, I'll wait and see what others are experiencing. I do feel however, the new firmware WILL FIX many of the issues many are experiencing. I have faith!!
2015-4-12
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

It may have been covered, but it's still not acceptable in a $3K product. The rush to get these things on the market is the obvious culprit. I commend DJI for their technological prowess in thinking up new designs and pushing the envelope. But they have miles to go in learning how to be a company that places concern for supporting its customer base on a level with generating sales. Good companies protect their base and know that this is how you establish loyalty. I run a business and I learned long ago that it is easier to keep a client by standing behind him than to go out and get a new one. Flashy websites and big product launches may rev up buyers, but when they become disenchanted with a product in the way many of us have with the Inspire, they never really recover. Granted there are those out there who are thrilled, but I am no longer one of them.

I've already had to have mine repaired, it took a painfully long time and cost more than I thought was reasonable.  I too am afraid to do more than fly it around an open soccer field. I have tons of video of green grass and trees in the distance, and me standing there with a remote. I think this bird was intended for better, and I hope to someday use it that way.  I don't know if I'll ever feel confident though.

Just my 2 cents...
2015-4-12
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

We all have experienced issues but it's not that bad. I still use it almost every day , with caution. I am sure that the new firmware will solve most of the problems.
2015-4-12
Use props
lukebowerman.ya
lvl.2

Malta

Never had these issues with the Inspire, video worked flawlessly 2500+m with pristine HD video link.
2015-4-12
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

A little birdy told me DJI wanted to kill the competition in THE BUD by bringing in a P3(for 1290 with 4k video and lightbridge) right away before the SPOTLIGHT goes to others like GOPRO and their new drone (rumors).. The Inspire  one owners are just the civilian casualties from the "friendly fire"... to borrow a phrase from Defence department USA!
2015-4-12
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Greece

arunmehta Posted at 2015-4-12 23:11
A little birdy told me DJI wanted to kill the competition in THE BUD by bringing in a P3(for 1290 wi ...

Interesting...,,,,
2015-4-12
Use props
david
lvl.2

United States

I had an I1 up until a week ago......I have had 3 others aircraft before including the P2 which I have flown many many times and when those times have come where  I have had an issue RTH has always worked, except Until a week ago with the I1 I no longer have. While taking off on my last I1 flight I failed to notice with in seconds the altitude was in a negative number until I was Appx 8 feet off the ground. That was the last time I saw my aircraft. It was uncontrollable and just continued to raise upwards in altitude until it of was out of sight - 5548 feet is the last recording . Everything I tried did nothing to bring the aircraft down or into some type of control failed to worrked for me. As it continued through the cloud cover losing a visual on it and going at negative numbers in altitude all I could think was where is this thing going to come down or what could it possible hit. I have had some minor issues before but brushed them off to maybe not paying attention but now I am not sure. Now I wonder if I can trust this unit and Maybe the upcoming firmware will solve issues I am always reading about, but now all I have is some extra batteries, one controller and an hour of bad memories on my last flight.
2015-4-12
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

david@tri-techn Posted at 2015-4-13 01:04
I had an I1 up until a week ago......I have had 3 others aircraft before including the P2 which I ha ...

Wow, that sounds scary! One more thing to watch for.

Where did it come down?
2015-4-12
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Hang in there guys, the new firmware is a lot better and they are still working on making it better yet.
2015-4-12
Use props
bolwerk.arnold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12238 ft
Netherlands

@markaguille, +1 from me
2015-4-12
Use props
REDBARON
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2456043 ft
Canada

Relief is on the way.......
2015-4-12
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

delas Posted at 2015-4-12 22:53
We all have experienced issues but it's not that bad. I still use it almost every day , with caution ...

That may be an understatement....The GPS issue alone has kept me from pursuing  commercial ventures until it is laid to rest..Evert time I fly I get anywhere from 1 to 4  GPS losses. Not very good if you are trying to get close to cell sites or power lines for inspections... The shortage of props, cameras and gimbals since the release of 17 are a bit more than coincidental from my perspective.   Lets hope they get it right with the next release.
2015-4-12
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Greece

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-4-13 02:09
That may be an understatement....The GPS issue alone has kept me from pursuing  commercial venture ...

fingers crossed!!!!!
2015-4-12
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78061552 ft
United States

david@tri-techn Posted at 2015-4-13 01:04
I had an I1 up until a week ago......I have had 3 others aircraft before including the P2 which I ha ...

Wow, that's scary. Did you manually switch to ATTI mode on the radio? On the few occasions when I've had GPS drops, a quick switch to ATTI has worked to get it under control. I'm thinking that if it drops GPS & bolts, initiating a RTH won't be effective & may make matters worse.

On that note has anyone had an issue when they flew exclusively in ATTI mode? If you're worried about GPS drop issues and you're not flying your I1,  just fly only an ATTI mode &  shouldn't be a problem.

I fly quite a bit, often in ATTI mode only, switch to GPS when I want to focus on getting a shot. So far have had one GPS drop in windy conditions where the bird covered some distance, but was high & in the open and able to switch to ATTI mode & regain control.

Sorry to hear about your flyaway, hope it didn't hit anyone
2015-4-12
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

The new firmware and app better have the ground station/autonomous flight function, as that is one reason we bought it and they advertised it. I think the video is even still up talking about how that line is for that function.  We are losing a major project because we can't repeat the exact same flight, height, speed and altitude for someone. It's ridiculous.  
2015-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules